Workers killed in blast at Foxconn plant.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Auto's picture
Auto
May 20 2011 19:53
Workers killed in blast at Foxconn plant.

At least two workers are dead and more than ten have been injured after an explosion at a Foxconn factory in Chengdu, China. It is believed the blast may have occurred due to a build up of dust on the production line.

Guardian Article.

Foxconn and it's treatment of factory workers was the subject of I wrote recently. From all reports, the company seems to be a nightmarish mix of bullying, oppression and illegal working hours. I guess we can now add unsafe working conditions to the list.

Yet the mainstream media will simply spin this with a consumer angle, making it about the 'iPad' and the 'iPhone'. Turning this tragedy into a completely alienating story about these 'foreign workers' who make all 'our' stuff. All human elements removed in favour of a nice, simple, 'clean' narrative.

ocelot's picture
ocelot
May 20 2011 22:09

You see victims, I see agents of change. iirc the Foxconn suicides were part of the beginning of a cycle of strikes and struggles last year starting with Honda workers, shortly thereafter, which saw average wage rises in the 20% region. Similar to the stories of the chemical workers in the Veneto in the 60s & 70s or many other earlier instances. On the one hand a murderous industrial envrinoment, on the other a nascent power of workers who find themselves trapped in a dangerous but strategically profitable part of the global accumulation machine. We've not heard the last of the Foxconn workers I'd wager, and not just as victims...

Auto's picture
Auto
May 20 2011 23:06

Oh I know these workers aren't just 'victims' I'd not have any faith in the idea of international revolution if I thought they were completely helpless at the hands of their employer.

I still find it tragic when the system manages to kill people purely in the name of profit, though. Surprising? No. Saddening? Yes.

Though I suspect you're right, we've not heard the last of these workers...