Woolworths Jersey staff protest over withdrawal of redundancy pay

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Caiman del Barrio
Jan 3 2009 13:17
Woolworths Jersey staff protest over withdrawal of redundancy pay

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7809195.stm

It appears that the island government's undertaken to compensate them...

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jan 3 2009 14:57

Not according to the article.

Quote:
The 120 staff have been told that UK statutory redundancy payouts do not apply on the Channel Islands.

Administrators did consider making a special payout to Jersey staff, the BBC has learned, but decided it would set a difficult precedent.

More likely it would affect their chances of being taken on as administrators if they started paying out when they weren't legally obligated to.

Do Woolworths own the stores in question? An occupation could be costly for the administrators. If the rest of the article is true, that they are selling the fixtures and fittings in the store (I'm not sure I believe that) then staff could potentially have leverage there. If the Woolies I went into is anything to go by any stock that can be remaindered to other retailers wasn't particularly reduced (computer games etc) so they probably won't have sold out either.
I don't know what the stock situation is but there could be leverage there too, although it's not common to hold too much stock nowadays..

Caiman del Barrio
Jan 3 2009 15:53

Jef:

The Deputy Governor appears to be making sounds about compensation payments. Also, not sure what you're indicating about an occupation, seeing as how the stores have already closed down.

Read the article.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jan 3 2009 16:17

I did read it. They're making sounds about it but a government payout would be pretty risky in terms of precedent, although the actual amount in this case would be quite low.
I don't know how long they've been closed for, as far as I was aware only a day or two, in which case they'll probably be packing up what's left about now. If longer then probably not. I was just thinking about what could be done.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Jan 3 2009 17:39

Yeah I thought many stores had literaly only just closed in the last few days.

Armchair Anarchist's picture
Armchair Anarchist
Jan 3 2009 17:55
jef costello wrote:
If the rest of the article is true, that they are selling the fixtures and fittings in the store (I'm not sure I believe that)

Don't know about other stores, but the one in central Birmingham had a sign in the window saying all fixtures and fittings were for sale.

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Jan 3 2009 18:28

all the ones in scotland are selling the fixtures & fittings as well, same thing for those pier shops

martinh
Jan 4 2009 21:08

If the Woolies near me is anything to go by, fixtures and fittings were for sale and anything left once the store was closed went into a skip.

Regards,

Martin