Will the the real Venezuelan anarchists stand up

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
ajjohnstone
Mar 29 2014 10:18
Will the the real Venezuelan anarchists stand up

A critique of the anti-chavista, anti-Bolivaran Revolution El Libertario.....just a bunch of rich kid liberals... ...and praise for the now defunct FARV, Revolutionary Anarchist Federation of Venezuela
http://venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/10555

Not qualified to comment but would appreciate a counter argument if there is one by someone more in the know

Pennoid's picture
Pennoid
Mar 29 2014 16:12

Thanks for posting this. I don't really like Maher at all but he raises all the classis critiques of el libertario and I had never heard of FARV. My Spanish is awful, so hopefully the discussion this creates will be illuminating.

Fall Back's picture
Fall Back
Mar 29 2014 22:28
iexist wrote:
Chavez is a social democrat, he can be pushed left. The opposition will put comrades against the wall.

I suspect you'd struggle to push Chavez to the left. Or anywhere really.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 30 2014 18:16
iexist wrote:
Chavez is a social democrat, he can be pushed left.

you'd have to dig him up first.

And as for this:

Quote:
The opposition will put comrades against the wall.

what is your evidence for this, exactly?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 30 2014 22:14
iexist wrote:
I simply meant that Chavismo is based on mobilizing popular movements. This mobilization means that the Chavista state needs to appear "left" in order to keep power. They have to concede certain things to the masses, and by mobilizing the proletariat they have to allow some level of popular power. A opposition govt would do the opposite, it would be like Ukraine.

er the government in Ukraine allowed itself to be overthrown by "popular power", if you haven't been following the situation…

It is true that the current Venezuelan government needs to appear "left" in order to keep power, but that's not a reason to support them, any more than it would have been a reason to support Stalin, who also had to appear "left" and "concede certain things to the masses" in order to keep power.

And any government of whatever political colour has to concede certain things to the working class, if the working classes organised.

The Venezuelan government, like all others, works using the carrot and the stick. Some concessions, and some repression, like this: http://libcom.org/blog/venezuela-killing-sabino-romero-04032013

libcom's picture
libcom
Mar 31 2014 14:35

Thread locked due to a duplicate thread.

Topic locked