U.S. job seekers get asked for Facebook passwords

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
wojtek
Mar 20 2012 21:08
U.S. job seekers get asked for Facebook passwords
Quote:
In their efforts to vet job applicants, some companies and U.S. government agencies are going beyond merely glancing at a person's social networking profiles and instead are asking to log in as the user to have a look around.

"It's akin to requiring someone's house keys," said Orin Kerr, a George Washington University law professor and former federal prosecutor who calls it "an egregious privacy violation."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/03/20/facebook-password-requests-employers.html

Job applicant refuses to give up Facebook login

fuck that

Fleur
Mar 20 2012 21:39

I saw this on the news this morning.

Quote:
fuck that quote]

I think those were my exact word too.

Fleur
Mar 20 2012 21:40

I'll get the hang of quoting, when I'm not trying to do 6 other things too

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Mar 20 2012 22:03

According to the original article some employers ask for email passwords.
One reason to set up a 'clean' email for job interviews and claim not to have a facebook page.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Mar 20 2012 22:12

beyond fucking mental

bastarx
Mar 20 2012 23:19

I was going to start a topic about this. Anyway here's another story about it:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2012/03/20/job_seekers_getting_asked_for_facebook_passwords/?page=full

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 21 2012 08:26

How crazy! And how will that even help employers? I mean somebody might be a great worker but they happen to enjoy exchanging sexually explicit messages with random strangers or whatever. Totally insane

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Mar 21 2012 16:39

Yeah basically I'd say it means you should have really good security set up like extra extra private for any of your social media sites, and or blogs...like this isn't already a duh. But it means not just to the public world but possibly in context of Facebook things like "friends of friends" can see your stuff, could make it so a company could see your profile, (or who knows Nazis, the State). So even if you do say you don't have a Facebook when they go looking they wont find anything. It also speaks to why using a nick name on the internet instead is a good idea, instead of your legal name if you can.

Oh and yeah I always use a "clean" email address for job stuff. If they ask why there is barely anything in there just say "I like to stay efficient and organized." Come off OCD.

RedHughs
Mar 22 2012 04:01

It amazing to me to think that the average American workers sets up a Facebook account their own "real" legal name, posts their personal, embarassing shit on it and then expects that by setting Facebook's own privacy tool they will actually make their stuff private. I know it's true and all. I live in this damn country but jeesh...

RedHughs
Mar 22 2012 04:02

I suppose employers will ask to see bank statements and get a tour of your apartment as well...

Soapy's picture
Soapy
Mar 22 2012 09:19

I know that riseup.net is a good email provider for activists. All of its emails are encrypted and it also offers servers on instant messaging services which are also encrypted.

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Mar 22 2012 09:22
Soapy wrote:
I know that riseup.net is a good email provider for activists. All of its emails are encrypted and it also offers an instant messaging service which is also encrypted.

But it's also a single point of failure. They seem to be serving a lot of activists which makes them an attractive target for police etc. Not saying they can't be trusted just that they're a bit to successful.

Fleur
Mar 22 2012 15:16

not specifically to do with the facebook thing, and I'm not especially tech-savvy so this is probably already common knowledge, but I was getting a bit boring and obsessy about the stats for my blog last night and wondering where, roughly, the people reading it were located, so I did a search on ISPs and I found that if anyone was accessing it from work, with a company server, I could find out exactly where they were, and I wasn't even trying to find this out. One search gave me the company, the guy's name, job description, email and direct phone number. So if your work's computer security is shit, you could be giving out all kinds of information about yourself.
And I was just curious about vague geographical locations.

Fleur
Mar 22 2012 15:50

BTW, I don't want to give anyone the impression that I spend my spare time invading the privacy of strangers, I did this entirely by accident.

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Mar 22 2012 19:01

fleur, what you got is just the contact at the domain/isp not the guy doing the actual surfing. You still get an awful lot from just the ip, adding browser fingerprinting etc you can get a specific user but you stll wont know the name unless you've got another domain where the user logs in etc. Put google, facebook, twitter and ads in the mix and youre pretty much pinpointed though and thats even if you don't use the services yourself. Those like buttons are spying on you my friend smile

Fleur
Mar 22 2012 19:30

Thank you, like I said not massively techie, but that's made me less paranoid ( although general lack of sleep at the moment is making me feel personally persecuted in lots of spurious ways!)

ElusiveElla's picture
ElusiveElla
Mar 22 2012 21:57
RedHughs wrote:
I suppose employers will ask to see bank statements and get a tour of your apartment as well...

It's perfectly legal in many states for employers (and many do) to check your credit history which is absolute BS.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Mar 25 2012 08:48

Facebook Warns Companies Against Asking for Applicants' Passwords

Rowntree's picture
Rowntree
Mar 26 2012 21:43

I am sure that major companies (Apple, McDonalds, Microsoft etc) have unlimited access to any Facebook account that they wish to peruse. You might not get a job if you are sharing pictures with a lot of drinking/partying going on ........... Or logging on to Libcom!
I remember speaking to Recruitment Jobsworth for an Oil Company who confided that after receiving a job application his first move was to see what the applicant had exposed about him or herself on-line on Facebook etc.