Trump July 13th UK visit

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mike Harman
May 17 2018 13:49
Trump July 13th UK visit

At one point I thought they'd permanently put this off, but it looks like it's happening, although maybe it'll get cancelled again. Remember 'UK Stop Trump' (associated with Owen Jones somehow) was advertising for a paid staff member to organise the protest last year which just seemed ridiculous given Theresa May being here all the time.

If he'd visited shortly after the inauguration with mass protests in the US going on, I could see a major protest here, I wonder if they've left it long enough that it'll be smaller if/when it happens. With the TUC thread talking about the benefits and drawbacks of central London demos, realised this will probably be the next one:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/donald-trump-uk-visit-date-us-july-protests-a8322596.html

dark_ether's picture
dark_ether
May 21 2018 01:37

The South Essex folks had this to say:

https://onuncertainground.wordpress.com/2018/04/28/just-imagine-what-could-happen-when-trump-visits-the-uk/
tldr: They think its the perfect opportunity for mischief outside the centre of the capital!
___

Personally I think If the Trump demo is a bigun, which is still possible, it could be a good chance to get radical literature into the hands of some folks who could be receptive, or create the opportunity for more radical actions.

rat's picture
rat
May 21 2018 07:33

Thanks for the link dark_ether.
I'm going to re-post that article on the Surrey Anarchist Communist Group's blog.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
May 21 2018 08:48
on uncertain ground wrote:
The point we’re trying to make, without getting done for incitement, is that a) in situations like this, the left and a fair number of anarchists could do with being a lot less predictable and knee jerk reflexive and b) we need actions that advance our class interests rather than those that make the participants feel good about themselves but have no impact on the real world.
Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 21 2018 10:02
Serge Forward wrote:
on uncertain ground wrote:
The point we’re trying to make, without getting done for incitement, is that a) in situations like this, the left and a fair number of anarchists could do with being a lot less predictable and knee jerk reflexive and b) we need actions that advance our class interests rather than those that make the participants feel good about themselves but have no impact on the real world.

Indeed. I mean, the idea of protesting Trump in and of itself is of course, the usual liberal exercise in futility, but it certainly presents an opportunity. So come on Don, you are invited!

rat's picture
rat
May 21 2018 11:21

Spectacular times times indeed!