"Statue Demolition Society" in North Korea

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Champion Ruby
May 25 2014 10:09
"Statue Demolition Society" in North Korea

So there's some speculation about the existence of some sort of organisation in North Korea that's been going around blowing up statues. The North Korean media has in the pastclaimed that this is the doing of a "Statue Demolition Society" that they say is connected to theNorth Korean People's Liberation Front, a group of North Korean defectors who dress in paramilitary uniforms and do things like hold mock executions of Kim Jong-Il and so on. I just read an article that says that statues have been put under guard again to thwart the "scheming of spies and terrorists". There was an attempt to blow up a statue in Hoeryong earlier this year of Kim Jong-suk, Kim Jong-Il's mother.

I'm just wondering what all this means. Does anyone have any ideas? Symbolic vandalism has triggered larger things in the past. One guy's already commented "I've always wondered if oppressive states could spawn anarchism, I argued in favor of it happening, and I guess I was right if someone is indeed vandalizing or destroying statues of the fat bastards at a huge risk to themselves".

jonthom's picture
jonthom
May 25 2014 11:02

from the epoch times article you posted:

Quote:
SEOUL, South Korea—There are people who swear they will not remove their military uniforms until there is unification between North and South Korea. They are former North Korean soldiers who defected to South Korea, and who recently established a group known as the NK People’s Liberation Front.
At their launch ceremony, held in downtown Seoul, South Korea, on Sept. 9, close to 100 NK Front members showed up in their uniforms.
Designed similarly to those of the South Korean special warfare command—only different in color—the uniforms carry two meanings: they represent the former identity of the wearers as former soldiers of North Korea, and they represent a pledge to help topple the Kim Jong Il regime if there is a war between the North and South.
Joining an armed battle is not their ultimate purpose, however, as they’ve already taken up a different form of war with the North Korean regime.
“NK soldiers can be main agents to change the NK regime if we deliver the true information of South Korea to them,” said NK Front Secretary-General Jang Se-yul during a Sept. 14 interview.

what exactly does defecting from one state to another, and pledging to fight for the latter against the former (even if through non-military means such as propaganda, at least for now), have to do with anarchism?

Champion Ruby
May 25 2014 11:15

Well, both KCNA and the Epoch Times are dodgy sources of information to put it mildly.
Though it seems someone has been attacking monuments. I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is an outside group or if it could in fact be coming from the population itself.