Report from ALARM! frst meeting

126 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ellar's picture
Ellar
May 16 2011 11:19
Report from ALARM! frst meeting

I know allot of people aren't fans of the source but this is the only information I 've been able to find about it.....

http://ianbone.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/the-alarm-has-lift-off/

Despite whats already been said about people joining AF or Solfed I'm pretty positive about this development, hopefully ALARM! can act as a place for anarchists who want to get organised on a class struggle basis but for whatever reason don't want to or cant join AF or Solfed.

MannyCalavera's picture
MannyCalavera
May 16 2011 11:32
Ellar wrote:
I know allot of people aren't fans of the source but this is the only information I 've been able to find about it.....

http://ianbone.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/the-alarm-has-lift-off/

Despite whats already been said about people joining AF or Solfed I'm pretty positive about this development, hopefully ALARM! can act as a place for anarchists who want to get organised on a class struggle basis but for whatever reason don't want to or cant join AF or Solfed.

Because they can't be arsed to do any actual leg work?

Ellar's picture
Ellar
May 16 2011 11:36
Quote:

Bit harsh really, I know a some of the people that attended and they are good people who do allot of hard work.

MannyCalavera's picture
MannyCalavera
May 16 2011 11:37
Ellar wrote:
Quote:

Bit harsh really, I know a some of the people that attended and they are good people who do allot of hard work.

My apologies, that was a bit flippant. I am still just a bit confused why we need a third group in London.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
May 16 2011 11:39

http://ianbone.wordpress.com/2011/05/14/the-alarm-constitutional-amendment-proposal/

Quote:
Proposal for ALARM Constitution from Andy M.

Democratic Structure.
We adopt the following three phase decision making process
1. We try to agree.
2. A vote will be taken.
3. A punch up will ensue.

Safer spaces.
With regard to point 3 above no one will hit anyone wearing glasses and glasses to be returned to people intact after they have been punched.

Membership.
1.Shall be composed of people useful to the group.
2.Timewasters, layabouts, headwankers, letches, spongers, cowardly custards, people saying “why don’t you..”, mildly annoying folk we really can’t be bothered with can all shove off and do something else

ALARM eschews sectarianism and supports all struggles promoting the liberation of the working class.

Subscriptions:
Shall be a minimum of 1 pint per meeting.
(all financial calculations shall made by the ALARM Standard Pint (ASP). The exchange rate of the Pint to other currencies shall be determined by the economic pointy-head Intellectuals Strategic Subcommittee (PISS) with reference to current economic data http://www.pintprice.com/region.php?/United%20Kingdom/ currently £3.30)

Officers.

Secretary: Shall be literate and not take drugs.
Treasurer: Shall be T-Total and have a job.

ALARM requires a continuity of political approach throughout it’s activities-see below.

Aims and Principles: To fuck shit up
Standing Orders: Priority will be given to fucking shit up
Manifesto. We advocate a comprehensive programme of fucking shit up
Strategy. Operational research will inform real time decision making to determine by quantitative and qualitative appraisal the shit that is to be fucked up.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
May 16 2011 11:45

You know that proposal was a joke right?

Ellar's picture
Ellar
May 16 2011 11:46

At least I assumed it was confused

Harrison
May 16 2011 11:54
Ellar wrote:

yeah i'm pretty sure it is a joke! I thought it was quite funny.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
May 16 2011 11:56
Quote:
My apologies, that was a bit flippant. I am still just a bit confused why we need a third group in London

I think it would be good if people just joined the two existing groups but I think it's clear from the number of anarchists around and the number of people in those groups that some people just don't want to. Look at the black bloc on the 26th, I'm sure a good few of them were anarchists but the minority of them were in AF or Solfed. Basically I thinks its just small differences in approach and tactics, so I think ALARM is essentially a group were these people can feel comfortable organising.

Hopefully ALARM means that the kind of anarchists I meet lots but aren't organised can get organised and if they do it on a class struggle basis and aren't completely mental then I can get over the fact that they won't just join AF or Solfed and support them.

Jack_Ketch
May 16 2011 12:01
MannyCalavera wrote:
Ellar wrote:
Quote:

My apologies, that was a bit flippant. I am still just a bit confused why we need a third group in London.

It's this sort of thing which gives Libcom the poor reputation it enjoys.

Harrison
May 16 2011 12:11
Ellar wrote:
Hopefully ALARM means that the kind of anarchists I meet lots but aren't organised can get organised and if they do it on a class struggle basis and aren't completely mental then I can get over the fact that they won't just join AF or Solfed and support them.

think this is a good view to take.
if they don't want to be in AF/SF then it is better that they are organized into ALARM rather than floating individuals. anyway, i'm quite positive about ALARM

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 16 2011 12:18

People are obviously free to form/join whatever group they want. But it's a legitimate question to ask how it differs to existing ones. Presumably it does, that maybe in terms of goals, strategy, political perspectives, organisational structures or some combination of those. 'why don't you just join X?' isn't the best way of phrasing it, but there's presumably a reason people feel the need to form a new group rather than join existing ones and i'm also curious as to why that is (it may well reflect failings in the existing groups for example). the basis on joint work has to be mutual understanding of common goals and differences. maybe it's early days and nothing's agreed yet.

Edit:

Ian Bone wrote:
A very hard working two hours and discussions on strategy and whether ALARM will have a manifesto or initiate it’s own actions were held over to the next meeting

ok yeah, sounds like it's yet to be decided.

raw
May 16 2011 12:19

It's interesting to note that there were around 80 people at the meeting, which then formed into 8 groups across london. The best thing AF and SolFed can do is support ALARM as much as they can and organise joint meetings/initiatives with them.

The comment about those in ALARM who "can't be arsed to do any actual leg work" should be removed - it's those stupid comments that always cause groups not to work together. Maybe its time people think twice before posting such nonsense.

Jack_Ketch
May 16 2011 12:25

ALARM is a specifically London group which is growing out of a proposal from WAG. Recognising that WAG members are no longer predominantly resident in Whitechapel, let alone Tower Hamlets, we are building local groups around London on the same class struggle basis that we have had in Whitechapel. This isn't going to be WAG writ large, because there are so many people from different parts of London involved that it would be stupid to try that - we want their input, for their ideas and experiences to shape the group as much as those of us out of WAG will. But many of us have been in some of the national organizations before and few of us (certainly out of WAG) have any inclination to repeat the experience. This is not to say that we won't work with other groups - we're happy to work with comrades from all organisations.

Jack_Ketch
May 16 2011 12:30
Harrison Myers wrote:
Ellar wrote:

It doesn't bode well for fraternal relations in the future though

Fall Back's picture
Fall Back
May 16 2011 12:29

The best thing AF and Solfed can do is get on with what we are doing and stick to that. If those affiliated with Alarm want to help with that, great, they can get in touch and we can work together. On some issues I'm sure we'll work side by side with Alarmistas, on others we won't. Simples.

Speaking as solfed, we have a strategy and practice that is currently working - we are rapidly growing, are achieving things and know where we want to go - Alarm doesn't figure into this either positively or negatively

Battlescarred
May 16 2011 12:36

I'd look to see what the politics are first before being issued with what looks like an ultimatum from raw
If the various previous efforts including Radical London to set up local groups didn't work why should this? And where does Radical London stand with this? Will it now be abandoned by those flitting from issue/structure to another?
AND "The best thing AF and Solfed can do is get on with what we are doing and stick to that. If those affiliated with Alarm want to help with that, great, they can get in touch and we can work together. On some issues I'm sure we'll work side by side with Alarmistas, on others we won't. Simples." Exactly.

Fall Back's picture
Fall Back
May 16 2011 12:31
Jack_Ketch wrote:
Harrison Myers wrote:
Ellar wrote:

You realise he was talking about the "proposal" by the new Alarm Secretary, right?

Jack_Ketch
May 16 2011 12:32
Fall Back wrote:
Jack_Ketch wrote:
Harrison Myers wrote:
Ellar wrote:

You realise he was talking about the "proposal" by the new Alarm Secretary, right?

Fair point. I skim-(mis)read and thought this was going back to Manny's unfortunate comments.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 16 2011 12:33
raw wrote:
The best thing AF and SolFed can do is support ALARM as much as they can and organise joint meetings/initiatives with them.

as a non-Londoner, i don't see how this is possible before ALARM decides what it is. for example, if they do decide to publish an 'ALARM manifesto', people can't decide to support it before reading it. again, joint work/initiatives need to be based on something concrete. if for example people are forming ALARM because they aren't into the kind of activity the existing groups get up to, then proposing to do it jointly won't get very fair. on the other hand, if ALARM decides it wants to be involved in 'x, y and z' activities, then others can approach them on that basis for joint initiatives in those areas.

Jack_Ketch
May 16 2011 12:36
Battlescarred wrote:
I'd look to see what the politics are first before being issued with what looks like an ultimatum from raw
If the various previous efforts including Radical London to set up local groups didn't work why should this? And where does Radical London stand with this? Will it now be abandoned by those flitting from issue/structure to another?

I don't know where Radical London stands with this, but it should work as it's based on firmer foundations than some of the other attempts to get local groups off the ground. We have the resources of the former WAG, including an office, we have numbers of people already in quite a few boroughs, and we've done the boring bureaucratic bit. So it will only get better from here. In addition, we have a large number of good writers and designers - as can be seen from WAG propaganda as well as what other people in ALARM have done previously. It's all very promising.

Jack_Ketch
May 16 2011 12:39
Joseph Kay wrote:
raw wrote:
The best thing AF and SolFed can do is support ALARM as much as they can and organise joint meetings/initiatives with them.

as a non-Londoner, i don't see how this is possible before ALARM decides what it is. for example, if they do decide to publish an 'ALARM manifesto', people can't decide to support it before reading it. again, joint work/initiatives need to be based on something concrete. if for example people are forming ALARM because they aren't into the kind of activity the existing groups get up to, then proposing to do it jointly won't get very fair. on the other hand, if ALARM decides it wants to be involved in 'x, y and z' activities, then others can approach them on that basis for joint initiatives in those areas.

Although any manifesto remains to be written, the basis on which ALARM was established was the proposal from WAG, which says "We want this to be a London wide class struggle anarchist group with the spirit of WAG that works across the whole capital and has strongholds in borough groups." Which gives you some idea of how it's going to be.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 16 2011 12:47

i don't know much about WAG (i'm in Brighton), but i'll wait and see i guess.

MannyCalavera's picture
MannyCalavera
May 16 2011 12:49

I agree with those wishing it well, and giving it positive wishes. What I had in my mind when I posted my, as Jack_Ketch puts it, "unfortunate comments" was the idea, or fear, that this was going to be a group for those who feel an aversion to the somewhat drier aspects of political organising and actions, and more an affinity with , for want of a better word, 'flashier' actions.

I am genuinely interested to see how they develop and as myers says "if they don't want to be in AF/SF then it is better that they are organized into ALARM rather than floating individuals".

raw
May 16 2011 12:57
Battlescarred wrote:

It was merely a suggestion that anarchists act like anarchist and co-operate rather than assume this is a competition between groups which some comments seem to reflect. Not everyone will join the same organisation - or even one of two. And by fact that the politics of ALARM ( as per the call out ) are based a revolutionary working class anarchist perspective they should be supported. I, like many others, will be supporting their development even though I reserve to join them at this stage.

Battlescarred
May 16 2011 13:07

So, have I got this right, you're calling on AF and SF to join ALARM, but you're not doing it yourself?
As I said any decision for cooperation has to be based on
a. Worthwhile initiatives that deserve supporting with a perspective for long term work rather than spectacular stunts or actions
b. The actual political statements of ALARM. Any decisions therefore have to be after they appear
I don't see this new grouping as competition and wish well to those who wish to be involved in it if they can't bring themselves to join either AF or SF
So , for me at least, it's a question of wait and see and no firm decison can be based on one initial meeting.

raw
May 16 2011 13:20
Battlescarred wrote:
So, have I got this right, you're calling on AF and SF to join ALARM, but you're not doing it yourself?

No, I said

Raw wrote:

Sorry I thought it was a pretty basic ethic of anarchists to support other anarchists, didn't realise it was a controversial proposition! wall

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
May 16 2011 13:35
Quote:

self-proclaimed vanguard?

raw
May 16 2011 13:51
Entdinglichung wrote:
Quote:

self-proclaimed vanguard?

what are you talking about? roll eyes

Django's picture
Django
May 16 2011 14:02

I think the point is you wouldn't have been that happy someone said that "the best thing ALARM can do is support AF/Solfed as much as they can and organise joint meetings/initiatives with them."

Still, I don't think its a problem if people want to organise outside of the national federations - its probably because they don't agree with them, which is fine. Its good to see there were so many at the launch meeting, looking forward to seeing what comes out of the group.

alan on tyneside
May 16 2011 14:24
Quote:
It was merely a suggestion that anarchists act like anarchist and co-operate rather than assume this is a competition between groups which some comments seem to reflect.

smile smile

There's one part of the spoof constitution which appeared on Ian's blog which I think was entirely serious, (and massively important), although nobody here has yet seen fit to comment on it:

Quote:
ALARM eschews sectarianism and supports all struggles promoting the liberation of the working class.