Occupy Congress: indignados encircle parliament

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark.
Sep 25 2012 11:31
Occupy Congress: indignados encircle parliament

Via Coordinadora25S

On September 25, the Spanish Parliament building will be surrounded symbolically to rescue it from the kidnapping which has turned this institution into a useless organ. A kidnapping of our popular sovereignty by the Troika and by the markets, executed under the guise and and with the collaboration of most of the political parties. Parties which have betrayed their electoral programs, their voters and the people in general, breaking their vows and contributing to the gradual pauperization of the people.

A government chosen by the people that once it reaches the power operates on the opposite of what the candidates promised, has no legitimacy. Winning an election does not give the government the right to act as it wants, betraying the voters who elected it. The people, under these conditions, have the right to require the government to quit. The people have the right to have a government which governs according to the people’s choices. This is the essence of democracy and popular sovereignty.

The Parliament will be surrounded on 25S to tell those who unjustly govern us that we will disobey the unfair and illegitimate imposition to repay their debt. We will defend our collective rights: our houses, public education, public health system, employment, democratic participation, and our decent life. We will initiate the process to stop those responsible for this crisis. The arsonists who caused this wildfire will be judged instead of rewarded.

The demonstration at Congress on September 25 takes place in order to recover our responsibility for our own future, rejecting any foreign and domestic impositions. We want to tell those who kidnapped our democracy that it is time to leave. We will demand the resignation of this government, as a first step. Set it free. Let’s start anew our constitutive process: an open process with direct participation where we all decide together what political institutions, participatory tools, juridical and political mechanisms we need to guarantee the efficiency of our collective decisions. A continuous constitutive process which will start, but will not end, on 25S.

Context of the action:

The “Plataforma En Pie” (Stand Up Platform) made a call-to-action through the social media to bring about a new constitutive process in Spain, under the slogan “On the 25th of September we will Occupy the Parliament”. The lack of clarity and transparency both in terms of the objectives of the calling and in terms of the identity of those on the platform caused suspicion among 15M assemblies, losing their support. Nevertheless, the process shows the operability of the hundreds of active assemblies in Spain. Moreover, it demonstrates their capacity to react and adopt a political position in relation to popular actions questioning the economic and social system.

Thanks to this intense debate, different 15M assemblies, some DRY (Real Democracy Now) nodes, social collectives and individuals, have integrated a state coordinator ["Coordinadora 25s"] with a completely open horizontal working policy, based on the assembly system in order to generate consensus. This state coordinator has turned the action into “Rodea el Congreso” (Surround the Parliament), with a clear non-violent mandate. The access and exit of the parliamentarians will not be obstructed at any moment. The normal activity inside the Parliament will not be disturbed.

Text re-published from roarmag.org - follow link for September 25 manifesto.

Mark.
Sep 25 2012 11:46
The BBC wrote:

Riot police have ringed the Spanish parliament in Madrid ahead of a planned mass protest against austerity tagged "Occupy Congress".
[…]
Tuesday's rally, due to begin at 17:30 (15:30 GMT), is expected to draw thousands of people, with buses reportedly laid on to ferry demonstrators into the capital from the provinces...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19712203

Follow on twitter at
http://twitter.com/i/#!/search/%2325S
http://twitter.com/ocupaelcongreso

Mark.
Sep 25 2012 20:13

photos

el país photos

guardian live updates

live updates in spanish

rtve live feed

el país live feed

Mark.
Sep 25 2012 20:32
Quote:

Skirmishes continue between protesters and riot police in Madrid, with cops firing rubber bullets and tear gas at the crowd. Fourteen people have been injured and 22 arrested, local media report.

Madrid emergency services have confirmed that at least 14 people, including three policemen, have been injured in clashes between police and protesters. One of the wounded is believed to be in critical condition, according to local news.

http://rt.com/news/spain-protests-parliament-crisis-942/

Mark.
Sep 25 2012 23:38
Mark.
Sep 28 2012 10:12

Quote:

Mañana a las 19:00h al Congreso! A la misma hora hay manifa por una huelga general, con final en Neptuno

En asamblea en Sol se ha decidido volver mañana a las 19:00h al Congreso.

Demo by bloque unitario tomorrow to call for general strike, ending at Congress. Assembly at Sol has also decided to return to Congress at 7pm tomorrow.

Quote:
#volvemos26s now trending in Spain. 'we return' tomorrow.

Mark.
Sep 25 2012 23:51

Blog post from Igualitárista

Mark.
Sep 25 2012 23:44

Atocha station

Paulappaul's picture
Paulappaul
Sep 26 2012 04:44

I'm not usually the one to cry wolf, but something about that video where the very poorly barricaded protestors with Red and Black Flags start shit with the riot cops just reads like instigators.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Sep 26 2012 06:50

Hieronymous's picture
Hieronymous
Sep 26 2012 07:42
Paulappaul wrote:
I'm not usually the one to cry wolf, but something about that video where the very poorly barricaded protestors with Red and Black Flags start shit with the riot cops just reads like instigators.

Completely disagree. Watch the RT video above, titled "'Surround Congress' Madrid clashes," in post #5 and watch the one pig get kicked, knocked down, and get his ass kicked -- literally -- and knocked down several times. Pigs don't beat up their own.

Kureigo-San's picture
Kureigo-San
Sep 26 2012 09:56

Even though people are willing to kick the snot out of these cops, the throwing of molotovs or anything like that still feels like it would be regarded uncool by the movement's zeitgeist. After yesterday's unreserved brutality I am thinking that people are going to be turning out today with at the very least, shields/helmets and the foresight to wear tighter, less-easy-to-grab clothes.

Mark.
Sep 26 2012 10:58
The Guardian wrote:

There are signs of serious jitters in the City today. As feared, the yield on Spain's 10-year bonds has now risen about 6% (6.03% at pixel time). The stock markets are all still lower,, with Spain's IBEX down 2.66%.

There are several triggers for this sudden chill wind. The protests in Spain last night are certainly a factor – with analysts trying to assess whether the Spanish people have been pushed to the limit. Portugal's u-turn on its latest tax rises (which threatened a political crisis in Lisbon) has also served as a reminder that politicians are still answerable to the people.
[…]
Overnight, my colleague Giles Tremlett filed this news story on the Spanish protests. He explains that the violence began after the demo overran its official cut-off time:

Quote:

Violence flared on Tuesday in the centre of Madrid as baton-wielding police charged crowds and fired rubber bullets at demonstrators who had tried to surround the country's parliament building.

Some 32 people were injured, including several police officers, and several dozen were arrested after police broke up the "surround the parliament" demonstration against Mariano Rajoy's government shortly after it overran its 9.30pm deadline.

Several hundred protesters remained peacefully on the streets near the parliament building late on Tuesday night. They are demanding the resignation of the government and the king, as well as a rewrite of Spain's constitution.

We also have a photo gallery of events here.

And the BBC reports that Spanish police targeted "ringleaders" behind the "Occupy Congress" movement. Their Tom Burridge writes:

Quote:

The heavy-handed tactics of the Spanish police, with little provocation, perhaps show that the authorities were worried that this could have escalated.

The scuffles tonight in Madrid will make relatively dramatic images on television. Spain is still a place of mainly peaceful protest, even in the face of deep austerity. However tonight shows that even here, there is the potential for some, albeit for now limited, social unrest.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but it looks to me as if there is a policing strategy, at least in Madrid, of dispersing demos that could possibly turn into new square occupations along the lines of last year's indignados camps. Hence the unprovoked police charge last night after the 'official cut-off time'.

Mark.
Sep 26 2012 11:40
Paulappaul wrote:

There were certainly accusations of police provocateurs flying around on twitter last night, together with video footage of supposed hooded demonstrators helping police make an arrest, so it's possible and it wouldn't be a new tactic in Madrid. It's more likely though that a minority of people there were up for a fight anyway, despite Spanish demos being mostly fairly peaceful affairs. I think Kureigo-San is right about the 'movement's zeitgeist'.

There were also rumours on twitter of confirmation that a seriously injured demonstrator had been paralysed and wouldn't walk again. Thankfully this doesn't seem to be the case and he is reported to be 'stable and regaining mobility':

Quote:
El "lesionado medular" es de AcampadaGranada. Está en UCI pero estable y recuperando movilidad. Mañana le hacen pruebas.

cardy lady's picture
cardy lady
Sep 26 2012 11:38

it does make you wonder though, as I was watching this last night, maybe there are limits to the 'peaceful' approach, at some point we will need to go beyond that perhaps

Mark.
Sep 26 2012 12:02

One point about today's demo is that it was originally called by the bloque unitario which seems to consist of all the Madrid anarcho-syndicalist unions, apart from some more Taliban inclined sections of the CNT, together with some small leftist base unions, local 15M assemblies and assorted left groups. It might have been expected to draw a couple of thousand people. As it is it's anyone's guess how many people will turn up, and I'm not sure they'd react peacefully to another police attack.

jonthom's picture
jonthom
Sep 26 2012 12:44
Mark. wrote:
One point about today's demo is that it was originally called by the bloque unitario which seems to consist of all the Madrid anarcho-syndicalist unions, apart from some more Taliban inclined sections of the CNT

confused

bartleby1977's picture
bartleby1977
Sep 26 2012 15:10

Between what seemed like the mass beating of a symbolic and peaceful (ish) demo in Madrid yesterday and what seems like today's Athens endless replay of big demo / strike with large presence of militants throwing petrol bombs but no general higher level of crowd combativity to police assaults, you wonder where things are really actually moving and changing. I say this from the sole viewpoint of reading and watching these things unfold on the jolly old WWW so have no real understanding of a: whether S25 Madrid yesterday is a big deal - i.e does this stand as some kind of moment in the struggles, some kind of moment of clarity or watershed for a possible change in ideas, tactics, organising etc. b: whether Greece is just played out now in this somewhat theatrical but never moving set piece confrontations. Saying this does not imply that these WWW enhanced events are any more important than the thousands of everyday struggles and events that are happening in both Spain and Greece.

Would be really keen to hear from Spanish comrades or those in the know about what kind of mood and feeling S25 has stirred up. Also to hear from others about how Greece feels when today seems like another big cops/radicals punch-up and also another large demo. Do these demos create much more than passive but angry symbolic protest. It was noted that after Portugal's very recent large, peacfeul demo against the tax hikes, the Govt backed down. What does that mean, say...etc

Oh so many questions.

Caiman del Barrio
Sep 26 2012 16:20
Mark. wrote:
Paulappaul wrote:

There were certainly accusations of police provocateurs flying around on twitter last night, together with video footage of supposed hooded demonstrators helping police make an arrest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FLW4OjlcrU&feature=player_embedded

THEM'S the undercover cops, not the ones throwing barricades. I mean, Paulappaul, you ever been to a demo/met a generic anarcho type? A drunk punk even?

Valeriano Orobó...
Sep 26 2012 17:51
bartleby1977 wrote:
Between what seemed like the mass beating of a symbolic and peaceful (ish) demo in Madrid yesterday and what seems like today's Athens endless replay of big demo / strike with large presence of militants throwing petrol bombs but no general higher level of crowd combativity to police assaults, you wonder where things are really actually moving and changing. I say this from the sole viewpoint of reading and watching these things unfold on the jolly old WWW so have no real understanding of a: whether S25 Madrid yesterday is a big deal - i.e does this stand as some kind of moment in the struggles, some kind of moment of clarity or watershed for a possible change in ideas, tactics, organising etc. b: whether Greece is just played out now in this somewhat theatrical but never moving set piece confrontations. Saying this does not imply that these WWW enhanced events are any more important than the thousands of everyday struggles and events that are happening in both Spain and Greece.

I wasn't in madrid. Some of my comrades were in the demo tho Your questions are a bit hard to ask. The call to surround the congress was quite ambiguous imo: it wasn't clear who was behind but i would definitely say that, at least when the call was made, at the end of spring, it wasn't made by bloque unitario. Anyway even considering the lack of organization or clear goals the important stuff it's how it turned out. For the 1st time since these massive demos started i have seen cops beaten and this has had imo a huge (and positive) impression here. Many people are thrilled and there is a sense i'd say of having won a battle. Not only because of that but because the nutty bastards got into atocha's train station and started beating the crap out of anyone on sight. And these scenes have been widely broadcasted everywhere. I'm starting to listen the disgust even of rightwingers. Legitimation is going down the gutter and things will get rougher and rougher imo because everyone is running out of money and there is no end in sight for this nightmare. Besides i don't think the ruling class is making here any right analysis of what's happening, in fact no analysis at all. We have jumped on the greek train i think, the thing right now is to try to avoid a dead end way. I don't think that the spanish crisis can be handled like the greek one tho.

Right now here a law has been passed similar to the one in the uk: unemployed if they want to get the dole can be asked to work as firefighters. Unemployment keeps growing and rajoy was in the UN talking about getting back gibraltar LMFAO. That's the government's response niveau

Paulappaul's picture
Paulappaul
Sep 26 2012 17:58
Quote:
THEM'S the undercover cops, not the ones throwing barricades. I mean, Paulappaul, you ever been to a demo/met a generic anarcho type? A drunk punk even?

Yeah I have, and I have never seen a confrontation result so poorly despite the appearance looking incredibly coordinated and planned. It looks like they were begging to get there asses beaten.

Valeriano Orobó...
Sep 26 2012 18:07

Apparently there are moves inside the opposition's party to make a concentration (coalition) government beteen both mass parties. Most screams in the last two years have been "psoe and pp is the same old shit" I imagine that move is a last resort. Corruption cases keep appearing everyday even with so a tame press from both parties. I can imagine this situation out of control in some months.

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Sep 26 2012 18:11
jonthom wrote:
Mark. wrote:
One point about today's demo is that it was originally called by the bloque unitario which seems to consist of all the Madrid anarcho-syndicalist unions, apart from some more Taliban inclined sections of the CNT

confused

insurrectionist syndicalists

Caiman del Barrio
Sep 26 2012 18:14
Paulappaul wrote:
Quote:

Yeah I have, and I have never seen a confrontation result so poorly despite the appearance looking incredibly coordinated and planned. It looks like they were begging to get there asses beaten.

LOL you ever been to a London Mayday demo?

BTW back on topic, general strike in the Basque Country today, follow #grebaorokorra for details.

This is a video of cops attacking a demo in Pamplona: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdYLPTT-TcU&feature=player_embedded

Livestream (no longer live I don't think): http://www.livestream.com/grebaorokorra

Caiman del Barrio
Sep 26 2012 18:15
jonthom wrote:
Mark. wrote:

confused

I'm assuming that's directed at the parts of the CNT who reject cooperating with the CGT etc for historical reasons. I'm not saying I agree with it per se, but it's hardly surprising that bad blood exists, especially among the older members.

Caiman del Barrio
Sep 26 2012 18:20

And, of course, they're back in Plaza Neptuno. Livestream here: http://elpais.com/elpais/2012/09/26/videos/1348665200_408606.html?autopl...

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Sep 26 2012 18:26
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
jonthom wrote:
Mark. wrote:

confused

I'm assuming that's directed at the parts of the CNT who reject cooperating with the CGT etc for historical reasons. I'm not saying I agree with it per se, but it's hardly surprising that bad blood exists, especially among the older members.

ya they have so many different odd names for "factions" or "tendencies" perhaps it was the more ortho sections, i also thought there was a nickname for the street fighting CNTistas too

Mark.
Sep 26 2012 20:43
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
jonthom wrote:
Mark. wrote:

confused

This.

Over the last couple of years 'talibanes' has been the term I've seen most widely used for the more fundamentalist CNT members opposed to working with the CGT. At least on the internet - it might be different in real life.

See this thread from last September for discussion of CNT/CGT cooperation, and in particular this post from Akai touching on disagreement within the Madrid CNT. I'm not sure how deep this disagreement goes but as far as I can make out they've avoided open public arguments which is no doubt sensible.

Mark.
Sep 26 2012 21:44

live updates from Público (in Spanish)

Going off this the demo has been peaceful so far.

Quote:

Varios amigos de los expulsados por ser supuestos infiltrados desmienten que lo fueran: "Son antifas joder"

Expulsado a base de pitadas y gritos un supuesto infiltrado que no quiso sentarse ante el "Si no eres policia siéntate"

‪#volvemos26s‬ sigue llenando la Plz. de Neptuno de gente. El ‪#29s‬ volvemos, seremos más, y rodearemos de nuevo el Congreso. [1 hour ago]

Calma en Neptuno. Casi tanta como cuando empezaron las cargas ayer. Siguen miles de manifestantes. [1 hour ago]

Ahora la pelota está en el tejado de CC.OO. Y UGT, ¡HACE FALTA YA UNA HUELGA GENERAL INDEFINIDA! [1 hour ago]

Miles de personas (de la manifestación de CNT y CGT) suben hacia Neptuno. [2 hours ago]

Los policias rodeados de gente hacen bloque y son expulsados al grito de "¡FUERA!" [2 hours ago]

Neptuno con 5.000 personas, pero aun mantienen protegido el carril de vehículos, NO PODRÁN CONTROLARNOS A TODOS [3 hours ago]

Quote:

2.5k protesters, the govt's estimate for the crowd in Madrid. if you believe that, should also know that Spain isn't seeking a bailout.

Madrid TR ‪@eldiarioes‬ a group of protesters surrounded a 'hoodie'. they accused him of being an infiltrator that threw a firework

‪#26s‬: relatives/protesters holding the images of those injured during police charges yesterday: ‪
http://twitter.com/NoMesXoris/status/251037903751376897/photo/1

‪#26s‬: via ‪@ditman‬: aerial photo of neptuno & the police barricade keeping 1000s of protesters away from parliament ‪
http://twitter.com/ditman/status/251034509405990912/photo/1

crowd again chant: 'the police are the hoodies!' referring to the plain clothed police officers who infiltrated yesterday's protest.

crowds just poured through the police cordon and has taken the square.

https://twitter.com/Igualitarista

Also, commenting on yesterday's events

Quote:

Particularly shocking were the images from the train station, with police running through the station firing rubber bullets and hitting people. And that older man holding the younger guy while yelling "shame". But also the restaurant owner protecting people at the door.

People at la cafetería Prado to thank its owner for protecting protesters from police yesterday
http://twitter.com/eldiarioes/status/251056880980488193/photo/1

Paulappaul's picture
Paulappaul
Sep 26 2012 20:52
Quote:
LOL you ever been to a London Mayday demo?

I am actually from the states, and here I was thinking our demos went poorly, but if things are really that stupid in Europe there is no hope sad

Mark.
Sep 26 2012 21:38
Quote:

Spain's National Police Headquarters admitted on Wednesday that a number of secret agents infiltrated Tuesday's protests against the conservative government, according to El Huffington Post, though police denied social media rumors that secret agents had provoked the violence.

Riot police that took part in the demonstration on Tuesday also allegedly did not have regulatory badges, making it difficult to file potential complaints of police abuse.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/26/madrid-protests_n_1916494.html