No benefits for under 25s

26 posts / 0 new
Last post
wojtek
Oct 2 2013 14:14
No benefits for under 25s

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/10349752/Under-25...

EAT SHIT AND DIE.

snipfool
Oct 2 2013 15:09

Fuck's sake.

RedEd's picture
RedEd
Oct 2 2013 15:13

The attentat is too good for them!

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 2 2013 15:25

It's a scientific fact that under-25s basal metabolic rate is zero, meaning they don't need calories. They also do not require shelter or warmth. Only communists like the UN would consider these things basic entitlements of every human being.

Tian's picture
Tian
Oct 2 2013 16:51

Disgusting. Shame on the lot of them.

proletarian.
Oct 2 2013 21:12

It wouldn't mean young workers starving to death it would mean in a lot of cases even more young adults living with their parents and or working for even less pay than capitalists are offering now.

Sadly it might rouse young voters to vote for Labour and give bourgeois democracy in Britain a much needed boost.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 2 2013 22:39

Yeah, it's meant to force people in with their parents and shift the cost of social reproduction back onto the nuclear family. Though that assumes people have parents with spare income and a spare room. I imagine mortality rates (and maybe divorce rates?) are higher for poorer people than Tory MPs while spare cash and spare rooms are scarcer.

Fleur
Oct 2 2013 22:52

It's beyond me as to why sales of pitchforks and torches haven't gone through the roof in the UK.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Oct 3 2013 06:06
Quote:
It's beyond me as to why sales of pitchforks and torches haven't gone through the roof in the UK.

Thanks to that post I just spat tea all over my bowl of muesli!

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 3 2013 06:25

Stiff upper lip keep calm and broom army for Mo Farah have your say.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 3 2013 06:37
Webby wrote:
Quote:

Thanks to that post I just spat tea all over my bowl of muesli!

Muesli! Ya know, Webby, I could let the landlord stuff go, but Muesli?

Further libcom privileges are reliant on bacon sarnie breakfasts. Consider yourself warned.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Oct 3 2013 10:48

What?!!! You mean muesli holds no commie cred? You'll be telling me green smoothies are bourgeois next. I just can't seem to get a grip of pretending to be working class - could you send me a menu to let me know what I should be eating or am I going to have to keep relying on Jamie Oliver?

crwydryny
Oct 3 2013 14:35
fleurnoire-et-rouge wrote:

I think it's because that old hag went and had the indecency to go and drop dead causing everyone to let off steam with a big party.
seriously where I live in south wales we've suffered a lot from the goverment over the years (closing the mines, shutting down industry ect) resulting in almost no jobs, the next village over from me is like a ghost town full of boarded up shops with smashed windows and a jobcenter packed with people waiting to either claim or hope to find a job. it's been getting so bad even those who would normally not say anything against the goverment were talking about rising up and kicking them out with force if need be. before thatcher died I was betting on a repeat of the riots by the time summer arrived, but when she died everyone threw a huge party and let off a lot of steam and suddenely it's back to "grumble grumble goverment, nothing we can do about it grumble grumble"

and now with the goverment planning this **** if they get into power again.... problem is they think that they can walk over the lower classes because we've always just rolled over and let them do what they want with only a token resistance, if this goes ahead and people don't openly object to it I will open a shop catering to S&M enthusiasts because it will be proof that the whole country is nothing but masochists

P.S.

Webby wrote:
What?!!! You mean muesli holds no commie cred? You'll be telling me green smoothies are bourgeois next. I just can't seem to get a grip of pretending to be working class - could you send me a menu to let me know what I should be eating or am I going to have to keep relying on Jamie Oliver?

don't worry you're not the only one who likes the occasional bowl muesli (as long as it's the good stuff) I say free the breakfast no more shall only the privlaged be allowed the good food while the rest of us are fed on scraps like dogs begging at the dinner table, free all food let the underclasses gourge themselves on champaigne and caviar, beer and kebabs, no more shall they have their food and we ours we shall.... humm... hungry now *wanders off to the kitchen*

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Oct 3 2013 15:28

This is already the case for a lot of people, especially single claimants. Under 25s making new claims need to show 6 months work history in the last 3 years or go on workfare, or say the wrong thing to your adviser and go on it anyway, and housing benefit for under 35s without dependents is capped at the rate of a single room in shared accommodation.

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Oct 3 2013 18:07

I've noticed before that in the UK your parents are expected to take care of you into your 30's. When I was studying in the UK I was quite shocked to have to submit my parent's income and their financial details to get my fees paid by DfES (or whoever it was) I was well over 25. The idea that your parents were responsible for you at that age seemed absurd to me. (I got my fees paid anyway but the hassle my parents had to go trough for their grown up son. If our relationship had been difficult I'd been screwed)

These things are culturally based though and I'm from a place where by the age of 18 the umbilical cord is well cut! You take care of yourself by whatever means. You can lean on family for emotional support, the odd meal, practical help but not really any serious financial stuff.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Oct 3 2013 19:45

This practice of extending 'childhood' or longer dependence on parents is just a money saving ploy from various governments. If they could make eligible for benefits only those above the age of 64 and under the age of 65, they would. Actually, if they believe they can get away with scrapping benefits completely, without riots and mass looting breaking out, then they will.

Fleur
Oct 3 2013 20:15

crwydryny:

If I were a betting person - and it's probably just as well that I'm not - I'd have put money on riots in the UK this summer, especially if the weather was hot and there not being any massive distractions, like the Olympics. I haven't lived there in a long time but I seem to remember people kicking off quite regularly, for all sorts of reasons. (protip - don't try to get through Deptford in the middle of a Millwall-Swansea riot. ) I've just been surprised about the lack of anger, I would have thought a repeat of the riots were on the cards. I hadn't thought about Thatcher dying being a factor in reducing some of the pressure building.
I was talking about this with an old friend in London, who's always been very activisty, was born into that sort of family, who's more or less given up everything. His opinion is that a lot of people are genuinely shit-scared of repercussions, given the draconian sentencing after the riots, pre-emptive arrests around the Olympics and mass arrests at demos. I don't know what to make of this, it's probably mostly his perspective, that he's getting too old for this sort of shit and he's no longer willing to get arrested for protesting. Maybe I should start a what's happening back in the UK thread because to be honest, I find it a bit bewildering. I get snippets of news from friends and there's stuff I read in the media but all in all I expect there to be a lot of angry people and I can't see where all that anger's going.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 3 2013 20:46

This daily mash article - Housing benefit to be withdrawn for anyone with under £25 million - is basically true.

Joseph is right, the intention is to shift the "burden" of cost of young-ish people onto their families. But what about people who don't have families? Or who had abusive parents? Or who just don't have relationships with them? Or if their families are already struggling to get by?

Outrageous but sadly unsurprising…

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Oct 3 2013 20:52
Webby wrote:

this reminds me of an old issue of the London newsletter of Class War, which had an article about food in it having a go at a dish at a Jamie Oliver restaurant called "fagioli e ciabatta", saying without a trace of irony: "it's just beans on toast. He's just taken good working class food and given it a fancy French name."

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Oct 3 2013 21:01

Amazingly, the rhetoric of the 3 major parties regarding 'hardworking people' seems to have been picked up by the public over here. At work today there was a lot of talk about layabouts and 'young people these days want everything for nothing'. It seems to have taken over from the 'they took our jobs' nonsense that had been the staple conversational diet on the sites I work on. The 'respect to HM Forces' stuff seems to have dropped down a gear too. It's all just too fucking sad.

Regarding what FeR's friend said, I think it's fair comment. A criminal record has always been a hindrance but now the effect can be pretty devastating.

cresspot's picture
cresspot
Oct 3 2013 21:07
Cooked wrote:
These things are culturally based though and I'm from a place where by the age of 18 the umbilical cord is well cut! You take care of yourself by whatever means. You can lean on family for emotional support, the odd meal, practical help but not really any serious financial stuff.

Yeah I don't see anything inherently natural or unnatural to stick with someone's family all their life, but the way that the economy works upon family structures makes certain organizations of more cultural value, basically individualism. Maybe in that sense this could be the only possible positive though unintended effect of this, that people are pushed to band together with the people that are part of their kin of both blood and spirit, though as for those who are isolated... well clearly they haven't been working hard enough all their lives!

sometimes explode's picture
sometimes explode
Oct 3 2013 21:50

As Joseph intimates, mortality rates are going to go up. We're going to see the perfect conditions for infection as family homes become overcrowded.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 3 2013 22:33

I was just thinking that mortality amplifies income differentials, i.e. lower household income means higher mortality which in turn lowers household income. But yeah, also overcrowding could further increase mortality. So mortality and poverty mutually reinforce.

crwydryny
Oct 7 2013 14:40

it's probably a mix of reasons, sure the mass arrests have frightened some people but that is only in the short term, the more the goverment takes from the people the more people will be inclined to fight back. there's an old saying (can't remember where I heard it) "the slave does not fear death, for in death he can finally be free" (or words to that effect).
the problem is that the government sees the population as mice, too afraid to speak up for fear of the cat (in this case the law) but when given nowhere to run even the mouse will attack the lion. and with the government planning to cut benifits to under 25s I can see it won't be long before those affected by the government's attacks on the lower classes will turn around and fight back all it needs is one little spark and I can see a repeat of the riots.

I believe it was best said by the character of g'kar on babylon 5 "there is no greater power in this universe than the need for freedom, against that power governments, tyrants, and armies cannot stand"

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Oct 8 2013 21:58
Quote:
When I was studying in the UK I was quite shocked to have to submit my parent's income and their financial details to get my fees paid by DfES (or whoever it was)

Yeah, this sh*t annoys me, too. I remember when I applied for a student loan in the States it was based on my father's income. Now, I studied history. History, for God's sake. I'm never getting a decent job. But someone my student loan - which was my responsibility to pay back - was based on my father's salary.

In general, I think the UK just needs to look to the US to see just how draconian a benefits system can get - as well as seeing how the state tries to portion up the deserving and undeserving poor. I mean, f*cking "WIC" Seriously though, benefits cards, workfare, folks getting kicked off for minor offenses, we've had that sh*t for years.