More kids being alternatively schooled

348 posts / 0 new
Last post
Choccy's picture
Choccy
Mar 3 2008 12:32
revol68 wrote:
How did I forget Oppositional Defiance Disorder, that shit is just amazing.
Quote:
1. A pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior lasting at least 6 months, during which four (or more) of the following are present:
Note: Consider a criterion met only if the behavior occurs more frequently than is typically observed in individuals of comparable age and developmental level.
1. often loses temper
2. often argues with adults
3. often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules
4. often deliberately annoys people
5. often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
6. is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
7. is often angry and resentful
8. is often spiteful or vindictive
2. The disturbance in behavior causes clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.
3. The behaviors do not occur exclusively during the course of a Psychotic or Mood Disorder.
4. Criteria are not met for Conduct Disorder, and, if the individual is age 18 years or older, criteria are not met for Antisocial Personality Disorder.

So that's the clinical name for "fuck you I won't tidy my bedroom" - I'd always wondered. They never taugfht us that at uyni - probably because I fucking depsised clinical psychology - actually I had a final year module called abnormal psychology - I did really shit at it sad I probably would have been more interested and applied myself if they'd called it "Freaks, Nutters, and Nonces: the Psychology of Mentalnicity" and focussed solely on comedy mentals, and violent andor/or exotic mental illness.

Refused's picture
Refused
Mar 3 2008 19:42
revol68 wrote:
Jack wrote:
The screaming hysteria that anyone who agrees with the general scientific concensus is an idiot is pretty much identical.

There is nowhere near a general scientific consensus for ADHD, infact one of the leading neuroscientists in Britain is one the biggest critic of ADHD diagnosis. Ironically, for you, she won a Faraday award from the Royal Society for her contributions to scientific education.

yuda
Mar 3 2008 19:54
revol68 wrote:
How did I forget Oppositional Defiance Disorder, that shit is just amazing.
Quote:
1. A pattern of negativistic, hostile, and defiant behavior lasting at least 6 months, during which four (or more) of the following are present:
Note: Consider a criterion met only if the behavior occurs more frequently than is typically observed in individuals of comparable age and developmental level.
1. often loses temper
2. often argues with adults
3. often actively defies or refuses to comply with adults' requests or rules
4. often deliberately annoys people
5. often blames others for his or her mistakes or misbehavior
6. is often touchy or easily annoyed by others
7. is often angry and resentful
8. is often spiteful or vindictive
2. The disturbance in behavior causes clinically significant impairment in social, academic, or occupational functioning.
3. The behaviors do not occur exclusively during the course of a Psychotic or Mood Disorder.
4. Criteria are not met for Conduct Disorder, and, if the individual is age 18 years or older, criteria are not met for Antisocial Personality Disorder.

Sounds like living with a 13 year old on the cusp of puberty

Caiman del Barrio
Mar 3 2008 20:05
Jack wrote:
My place wasn't grubby, you spastic.

Yea, they just label kids adhd for a laugh like. So the man can drug their brains. roll eyes

When the truth is what? They're just 'bad kids'? They're the kernel of proletarian resistance to the work ethic?

Fuck off!

Is that honestly what you think Belfast et al are arguing or are you just trolling? I actually see something resembling a consensus emerging on here and I think it's been an interesting discussion. Perhaps it'd be better if posts like this are ignored.

Refused's picture
Refused
Mar 3 2008 22:23

Where people are differing is the basis in biology and revol isn't denying the existence of ADHD. zarathustra is.

Caiman del Barrio
Mar 4 2008 00:06
Jack wrote:
ADHD and the like generally describe a set of related conditions, and there's huge variations between people who have it - and even those who don't - it exists on a spectrum, it's not an either or situation.

That sounds plausible, but it makes it sound like loosely defined set of behaviours that probably shouldn't be answered with an umbrella diagnosis and a course of Ritalin. That is my problem with ADHD.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Mar 4 2008 00:07

Revol's mate does actually have a doctorate in clinical psychology and is a practising registered clinical psychologist, that much is true.
However he used to support Blackburn then changed to ManU when he was about 17-18 which is actually beneath contempt.

arf
Mar 4 2008 12:20

I dont think comparing charts of brain activity are necessarily useful. Mainly because i dont believe that there is a "normal" brain pattern against which 'disorders' can be identified. I think its more likely that our experiences affect the way our brain works than that we're just born a certain way, 'disordered'.

Pepe
Mar 4 2008 14:15
revol68 wrote:
You also fail to notice that my criticism is of ADHD as a catch all term, I've not denied the reality of the behaviours or that some people at the extreme end of the ADHD spectrum may have an actual biological disorder.

So what you're saying is, it's a heterogenous disorder? No shit.

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Mar 5 2008 09:33

I have a pill for life's problems
it's called the gym, it doesn't really work

arf
Mar 5 2008 19:14

i call mine chocolate, makes everything better for at least ten minutes before i need my next hit

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Jul 2 2012 22:14

jesus christ threads were much better years ago, the discussions actually had life

JonathanSharp
Jul 3 2012 18:37

I went to a Baptist school where I learned that the founding fathers were all Christian and that the world was created in 6 days.

Fleur
Jul 3 2012 20:01

Was about to leap into this one, masses of opinions on this one, got a kid with ADD, endless frustration around the subject of education, a spleens worth of venting to do, turned out to be four years too late.
Oh, well.

arf
Jul 4 2012 11:40

The threads been revived hasn't it? Vent away smile

FWIW I also have a diagnosis of adhd, among other things, and although my kids don't, I see a lot of myself in them. But they've never been to school so they've never been disabled by school, iyswim.

etowahman's picture
etowahman
Jul 6 2012 22:23

Our church has home schoolers for obvious reasons and they do very well - when they transition to public in later grades, they never fail to kick rear and are way ahead of the game. There's enough info out there that anyone with ambition and motivation can do this - naturally they are stay-at-homers. Not possible otherwise.

jonthom's picture
jonthom
Jul 7 2012 08:19
etowahman wrote:
Our church has home schoolers for obvious reasons and they do very well - when they transition to public in later grades, they never fail to kick rear and are way ahead of the game. There's enough info out there that anyone with ambition and motivation can do this - naturally they are stay-at-homers. Not possible otherwise.

Those reasons aren't entirely obvious, at least to me; could you elaborate?

Puzzled_individual's picture
Puzzled_individual
Jul 7 2012 12:08
Choccy wrote:
jesus christ threads were much better years ago, the discussions actually had life

'Back in my day ...' wink

xslavearcx's picture
xslavearcx
Jul 10 2012 00:13

"Back in the days when I'd wait to see the old bands play.."

interesting thread. i was homeschooled for a bit and ill post some of my thoughts based on my experiences once ive read through the whole of this thread and had a good nights sleep...