Italian anarchists kneecap nuclear executive and threaten more shootings

116 posts / 0 new
Last post
futility index
May 11 2012 21:24
Italian anarchists kneecap nuclear executive and threaten more shootings

Has anyone heard of this group before? Shit choice of target regardless of the validity of this sort of action. Seems likely we'll see more of this as the European situation deteriorates.

---------------
An anarchist group claimed responsibility on Friday for kneecapping an Italian nuclear engineering executive and warned it would strike another seven times at the firm's parent company, Finmeccanica.

In a four-page letter sent to an Italian newspaper, the group, calling itself the Olga Nucleus of the Informal Anarchist Federation-International Revolutionary Front, said two of its members had shot Roberto Adinolfi, the CEO of Ansaldo Nucleare, in Genoa on Monday.

The firm is owned by Italian state-controlled defence and aerospace group Finmeccanica, which operates 16 sites and employs 10,000 people in the UK.

The letter, which was deemed credible by investigators, said the cell named itself after Olga Ikonomidou, one of eight Greek anarchists it listed as currently jailed in Greece. Seven further attacks would be carried out, one for each of them, the letter stated.

After the shooting Finmeccanica's CFO, Alessandro Pansa, said the firm would not be intimidated. On Friday a spokesman declined to comment on the letter.

The letter takes aim at Adinolfi, calling him a "sorcerer of the atomic industry" and criticising him for claiming in an interview that none of the deaths during the Japanese earthquake and tsunami in 2011 were due to nuclear incidents.

"Adinolfi knows well that it is only a matter of time before a European Fukushima kills on our continent," the letter stated.

"Science in centuries past promised us a golden age, but it is pushing us towards self destruction and slavery," the group wrote, adding: "With our action we give back to you a small part of the suffering that you scientists are bringing to the world."

Adinolfi, who was discharged from hospital under police guard on Friday after he was wounded in the shooting, said "Thank God I am OK".

Before the letter arrived at the offices of Corriere della Sera in Milan, investigators had suspected the attack could be the work of the Red Brigades, the terrorist organisation that kidnapped former Italian prime minister Aldo Moro in 1978.

The so-called Olga Nucleus stated that another cell within the Informal Anarchist Federation had sent a letter bomb to Italy's tax collection agency, Equitalia, in December, nearly blinding an official. Other letter bomb attacks in Italy have also been claimed by anarchist cells within the Federation.

As Italy's economy dips, Equitalia offices have become a target for violence. After an armed man briefly took hostages in an office in Bergamo last week, police on Friday clashed with protesters outside a Naples office, while a suspect package containing powder was sent to a Rome office.

On Thursday, the industry minister, Corrado Passera, warned Italy's economic crisis was threatening social cohesion.

In its letter, the Olga Nucleus said it could have chosen to attack Equitalia but was not looking to win public support. "We have nothing to do with citizens who are indignant about something which doesn't work in a system in which they want to be a part," it wrote.

"We are wild lovers of freedom, and will never renounce the revolution or the complete destruction of the state and its violence."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/may/11/italian-anarchists-kneecap-nuclear-executive?newsfeed=true

tastybrain
May 11 2012 22:24

Why is it a shit choice of target?

Puzzled_individual's picture
Puzzled_individual
May 12 2012 00:59

On indy media, from time to time, there are posts/ reposts of them claiming responsibility for attacks.

Usually fire bombings/arson in Chile, Bolivia, Greece and Italy from what i can make out.

Quote:
'We claim responsibility for the sabotage of an ATM belonging to the Pro Credit Bank of the Andes, located in the Miraflores area [of La Paz], which ended up totally unusable due to the fire. '

Destroy all ATMs for the revolution!

EDIT.

This entire post actually.

http://www. indymedia.org.uk/en/2012/04/494851.html

But yes, this knee capping is up there on the 'list of things anarchists should try to avoid doing'. Stops us being taken seriously when people are setting off bombs in the name of anarchism. To free insurrectionists who did the same thing roll eyes and erm ... get someone to admit that people died from a nuclear incident?

Tart's picture
Tart
May 11 2012 22:37
Quote:
"Science in centuries past promised us a golden age, but it is pushing us towards self destruction and slavery," the group wrote, adding: "With our action we give back to you a small part of the suffering that you scientists are bringing to the world."

shit indeed

PartyBucket's picture
PartyBucket
May 11 2012 23:09

So was he shot for being a CEO, or for being a scientist?

Crow's picture
Crow
May 11 2012 23:11
Quote:
The letter takes aim at Adinolfi, calling him a "sorcerer of the atomic industry" and criticising him for claiming in an interview that none of the deaths during the Japanese earthquake and tsunami in 2011 were due to nuclear incidents.

Goddam those sorcerers in the nuclear industry putting down the working classes!

Way to sound like a lunatic conspiro-cunt in mainstream media AND drag everyone's name down with you with pointless terrorism. Catchy group name too!

Quote:
The so-called Olga Nucleus stated that another cell within the Informal Anarchist Federation had sent a letter bomb to Italy's tax collection agency, Equitalia, in December, nearly blinding an official. Other letter bomb attacks in Italy have also been claimed by anarchist cells within the Federation.

Fucking letter bombs? Didn't we already talk about this? Someone send them a pamphlet or something from like 1900. Geez.

Cue some cunt calling blowing up posties and anti-wizard drive-bys self-defence in 3-2-1...

futility index
May 11 2012 23:26
tastybrain wrote:
Why is it a shit choice of target?

Because what they are saying about nuclear power is rubbish and there are probably more pressing issues for the Italian working class than the possibility of nuclear disaster.

Any Italian speakers that could summarise their letter to the press?

jolasmo
May 11 2012 23:32

As much as crow's "violence" bs on the mayday thread made me cringe, I lol'd at that gif.

~J.

RedEd's picture
RedEd
May 12 2012 00:43

Everyone knows if you kill enough henchmen of the evil corporations capitalism will magic away. Why are you guys so down on this? Have you not read any fairy tales?

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
May 12 2012 01:00

This is for sure a shit choice of target. a. i want to trot [sic] out the standard 'you can't blow up a social relation' (because this action doesn't question that position at all), b. A nuclear scientist? REALLY! Is there not more pressing targets in Europe (in the context of austerity and crisis) right now?

N.B. Crow, right on. See most of us do draw a distinction between a cheap drum to the helmeted head and shooting someone's legs in randomly! Mr. T

Mr. Jolly's picture
Mr. Jolly
May 12 2012 09:32

No doubt the group was trying to assuage their guilt for the trust-funds they have to accept off their daddies.

vanilla.ice.baby
May 12 2012 10:52

The last time we heard from the Informal Anarchist Federation it was after a spate of letter bombings a few years ago and I'm sure the real IFA issued a statement suggesting it was or could be a provocateur thing - can't be arsed to Google though.

May 12 2012 12:18

Just 'stumbled upon' that Guardian article whilst bored at work and 'stumbling'. I wish that they hadn't been throwing their 'we are anarchists' letters around, quite embarrassing. Wish they hadn't done it in the first place actually.

Caiman del Barrio
May 12 2012 14:37
Puzzled_individual wrote:
On indy media, from time to time, there are posts/ reposts of them claiming responsibility for attacks.

Usually fire bombings/arson in Chile, Bolivia, Greece and Italy from what i can make out.

Quote:
'We claim responsibility for the sabotage of an ATM belonging to the Pro Credit Bank of the Andes, located in the Miraflores area [of La Paz], which ended up totally unusable due to the fire. '

Destroy all ATMs for the revolution!

I've never been to La Paz, but seeing as how ATMs are pretty rare in much of Latin America, and also that sabotage is pretty common (usually for criminal/fraud purposes rather than anarchy) this is objectively a shit, antisocial act which will cause great inconvenience and strife to many people. I've spent whole days on missions to find working, kosher cash points in L America before. Many ATMs will have armed security guards from the bank hanging around them, so I imagine this will be the response of the states to the ongoing attacks.

There are a load of FAIs around Latin America, who are mostly composed of 1-2 people and thusly restrict themselves to acts like this and have an overt hostility to 'organised' anarchism (especially the IWA, and any sort of organising grouping in their city), bordering disruption and even violence at points.

They're fucking morons.

vanilla.ice.baby
May 12 2012 14:49

I spent two months mas o menos in and around La Paz and the only areas I saw anarchist graf or flyposters were in the South district (the most upper class part of the city) and in the tourist areas and maybe in Miraflores which is fairly international and middleclass.

And yet in the poor parts of the city not to mention El Alto a huge working class suburb just outside La Paz were the militant neighbourhood associations, unions, and coops noisily organising themselves.

Diddy-D's picture
Diddy-D
May 12 2012 15:49

Individual acts of terrorism such as this are pointless, and achieve nothing.

The resulting 'bad press' is detrrimental to the anarchist cause, and will put people off getting involved, not win support.

Additionally, these acts make no impact on capital whatsoever. If anything, they give an incentive to the bourgeois state, to introduce or extend already-existing, opppressive anti-terror laws.

A mass mobilization and insurrectionary movement of the people, will bring about the downfall of the bosses, not small-minded, isolated acts of terrorism pink black star

blackout
May 12 2012 16:09

No one ever changed the church by pulling down a steeple, as the saying goes..

tastybrain
May 12 2012 20:02

nevermind

Ambrose's picture
Ambrose
May 13 2012 01:33

Knee-capping a nuclear executive? I can't imagine what they thought they were accomplishing with that.

Am I alone in my suspicion on the legitimacy of the claim that this Anarchist organization truly is "informal"?

Diddy-D's picture
Diddy-D
May 13 2012 09:22
Ambrose wrote:
Knee-capping a nuclear executive? I can't imagine what they thought they were accomplishing with that.

Am I alone in my suspicion on the legitimacy of the claim that this Anarchist organization truly is "informal"?

If you mean by that, that the devious hand of the state may be involved at some level, then it would not be at all surprising pink black star

madashell's picture
madashell
May 13 2012 13:19
Diddy-D wrote:
If you mean by that, that the devious hand of the state may be involved at some level, then it would not be at all surprising pink black star

Wouldn't rule it out as a possibility as such, but I don't think it's very likely. If you were a state infiltrator looking to discredit anarchists through acts of terrorism, wouldn't you go for something a bit more indiscriminate? Knee capping an executive seems a little too much like going after one of their own, if you see what I mean.

Sadly, I think this seems more like the work of chronically stupid people.

fnbrill's picture
fnbrill
May 13 2012 13:35

sounds like Os Cangaceros back in the 1980s

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
May 13 2012 15:25

On the 'informals', I'd just like to state that these cunts are dicks black bloc

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
May 13 2012 15:55

Ditto.

Diddy-D's picture
Diddy-D
May 13 2012 20:24
madashell wrote:
Diddy-D wrote:

Wouldn't rule it out as a possibility as such, but I don't think it's very likely. If you were a state infiltrator looking to discredit anarchists through acts of terrorism, wouldn't you go for something a bit more indiscriminate? Knee capping an executive seems a little too much like going after one of their own, if you see what I mean.

Sadly, I think this seems more like the work of chronically stupid people.

Yeah you are right MAS. The bosses stick together, and would not want to hurt one of their own, or one of their senior lackeys or puppets pink black star

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 13 2012 20:33

QUAKE IN YOUR BOOTS, NUCLEAR WIZARDS

Awesome Dude's picture
Awesome Dude
May 13 2012 21:29
Diddy-D wrote:
Yeah you are right MAS. The bosses stick together, and would not want to hurt one of their own, or one of their senior lackeys or puppets pink black star

Spot on matey. Maintaining the technical and comercial apparatus of the nuclear industry would strike me as a top priority for the state security aparatus (the capability to develop atomic weapons being top on the todo list). Me thinks this the work of a group of sub cultural primo nutters.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
May 14 2012 00:21
vanilla.ice.baby wrote:
Informal Anarchist Federation

Are these guys the informal? I know there was some confusion in the past over the IAF in Italy? The 'I' in the linked article stands for international (according to the article). confused (I know these guys arn't part of the same international as the AF, just getting confused about who they are, or are not? Are they an organized group or an umbrella organization, like say 'Anonymous')????

jameswalsh
May 14 2012 02:37

while I think the world of scientists is a world of shit head class collaborators - I think it's a negative unhistorical unmagical uncool way of going about things- but it's not like that Noweignan nutter level.

Scientists should be won to our space program- so we can decide which of them is untrustworthy.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes- but the world of science is falling to provide a spell checker on this site.

jameswalsh
May 14 2012 02:42

double post- capital it fails me now.

orange.ruffy
May 14 2012 04:24

As I've said in other threads, I'm clearly opposed to the terrorist turn and particularly the CCF/FAI/IRF/"new urban guerrilla." The responses on this thread reflect such a profound laziness (not even reading what's freely available on the internet) though, that I feel provoked into responding. If you actually want to forestall the turn to armed struggle, you have to make a serious and informed critique of it; then again, if all you want to do is keep your hands clean, slag away.

Some background then. A few people have said things along these lines:

Quote:
Because what they are saying about nuclear power is rubbish and there are probably more pressing issues for the Italian working class than the possibility of nuclear disaster.

Presumably then you're unaware of the long history of anti-nuclear struggles on the continent? Their relationship to the class struggle, their role in blocking capitalist development strategies, and the specifically militant anarchist role (especially in Italy) in propagating these struggles? Read Strange Victories or http://libcom.org/library/abyss-encyclopedie-nuisances-1986 or Insurrection magazine, #0 and #4, all from very different anti-capitalist perspectives.

The tl;dr is that nuclear power is an attempt by capital to bypass struggles by coal and petroleum workers through the installation of an investment- and security- intensive mode of energy production that requires little living labor. The opposition between anti-austerity and anti-nuclear struggles is an entirely false one.

Even though I wholeheartedly agree that kneecapping a nuclear executive is a terrible idea, my agreement can't be on the basis of this myopia re: nuclear power's threat to proletarian struggles. Anarchists in Italy, either of a social sort or a primitivist sort (or gasp, both) have a long tradition of anti-nuclear violence and sabotage, often in the context of popular struggles.

Apparent further ignorance, bordering on slander:

Quote:
sounds like Os Cangaceros back in the 1980s

What is the exact relationship to Os Cangaceiros? Their open hostility to the armed struggle milieu and clandestinity more broadly? Their specific refusal of guns and bombs? Or are you just referring to their interest in sabotaging a specific wing of capital (the prison system)? Even if that's the case, they dissolved themselves once that strategy started slipping towards the armed struggle. See http://www.revoltagainstplenty.com/index.php/archive/16-archive-global/58-os-cangaceiros.

More soon.