IPCC refuses to hand over evidence to coroner in Mark Duggan case

1 post / 0 new
Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Jun 29 2012 06:56
IPCC refuses to hand over evidence to coroner in Mark Duggan case
The Guardian wrote:
He ordered the IPCC to hand over the evidence they had gathered during their 10-month inquiry within 28 days or face being in contempt of court. "I am being told, if I understand it correctly, that I am not being given copies of the statements and evidence [the IPCC] have gathered until they choose to give it," said Walker, adding that he found this extraordinary. "My statutory obligation is being undermined, is that not a contempt of court?" he said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jun/28/mark-duggan-coroner-police-watchdog

Their reasoning for this is 'new evidence coming to light' (footage of the aftermath of the shooting broadcast on the BBC), which presumably contradicts the hastily reached conclusions of the IPCC (apparently, 10 months later, they've only just started asking cops where they were at the time of the shooting). Still, risking contempt proceedings is pretty dramatic. Seems like one of three things will happen:

- IPCC relents after stalling as long as possible to get their story straight (i.e. hands over the evidence in 27 days)
- IPCC refuses to hand over evidence and the inquest collapses, just days before the anniversary of the shooting (cue riots part 2?)
- IPCC refuses to hand over evidence and the Attorney General has the IPCC boss imprisoned for contempt of court (and seizes the evidence?). This would presumably be the end of the IPCC (i.e. a rebrand/relaunch).

Either way, the shooting clearly stinks for them to be going to these lengths to obstruct the inquest. But then we knew that already.