DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

IMF hacked

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Anonymous
Jun 12 2011 23:45
IMF hacked

Looks like a massive leak could be coming...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/politics/anticapitalist-hackers-in-the-frame-as-imf-reveals-cyber-attack-2296760.html

Toms's picture
Toms
Jun 13 2011 11:20

Haven't had time to read all the articles

Belfast Telegraph

New York Times

Reuters

Guardian

Washington Post

PC World

Harrison
Jun 13 2011 19:58
Guardian wrote:
"Perhaps most frightening of all is the fact that these type of attacks could quite easily be directed towards critical national infrastructure (CNI) organisations, for example energy and water, where the impact of such a breach would have severe, immediate and potentially life-threatening consequences for everyday citizens."

FFS, they need to watch Battlestar Galactica to learn the simple lesson that one does not network crucial systems....

On a serious note, i wonder whether the supposition by the press (exempting the independent article in the first post) that the attack was made by a nation-state is a red herring to deflect attention from IMF's internal affairs.

EDIT:
this is quite a good article
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/13/us-imf-cyber-culprit-idUSTRE75C3XO20110613

Reuters wrote:
The most immediately time and market sensitive information would relate to Greece, he said, with the IMF and EU needing to offer new bailouts by the end of the month to avoid default.
ludd's picture
ludd
Jun 15 2011 23:47

Didn't want to start another thread about same stuff, but senate.gov web server was just hacked by LulzSec hacker group (http://lulzsecurity.com/releases/senate.gov.txt). One IT official from the Senate said they did not get into the main network. This is probably true. Despite that, this is an outrageous attack.

The authorities have tried to minimize the impact of this - but the stuff released by LulzSec is only a portion of the data they must have taken.

This is what LulzSec said:

Quote:

Greetings friends,

We don't like the US government very much. Their boats are weak, their lulz are low, and their sites aren't very secure. In an attempt to help them fix their issues, we've decided to donate additional lulz in the form of owning them some more!

This is a small, just-for-kicks release of some internal data from Senate.gov - is this an act of war, gentlemen? Problem?

UPDATE: Today LulzSec DDoS'ed the cia.gov website. The site has been up and down (mostly down) for several hours now. Given CIA's public image this is especially hilarious. Someone described this as "kicking a lion in the balls." You can see a decent number of people on the internet sharing in the enjoyment. But there are also many cyber-pacifists. These people blame LulzSec for giving the government the excuse to crack down on internet freedom, suggest they are infiltrators, etc.

Reading their comments on this, I think established security experts are feeling little nervous and increasingly hostile towards this gleeful cyber nihilism.

http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2011/06/15/testing-the-limits-lulzsec-takes-down-cias-website/

Toms's picture
Toms
Jun 16 2011 17:52

So apparently after this interview LulzSec attracted the attention of TheJester, or th3j35t3r if you prefer.

Here's his wordpress. If you don't know who he is, he's the dude that took down the Westboro Baptist Church websites and kept them down for weeks, all of this from a single Android phone.

But anyway the article attracted his attention and he has now taken down the website irc.lulzco.org.

Due to the content of the interview from the aforementioned article there has been some talk that LulzSec might be associated with government authorities, Nato specifically.

Lastly TheJester posted this video of the LulzSec this video.

ludd's picture
ludd
Jun 16 2011 19:29

It's worth mentioning that Jester is a pretty right wing (patriotic) hacker. Besides his attacks on Jihadist websites it's not surprising he's gone against wikileaks, anonymous and later lulzsec. He's doing this because he supports the state so his claims that LulzSec are associated with NATO are dubious imho.

Toms's picture
Toms
Jun 16 2011 20:29

Absolutely agree that most likely they aren't connected to NATO, just mentioned it because a lot of people have been saying it.

Didn't know he was right wing, but makes sense. From what I've read of him he always seemed nationalistic and fixated with patriotism, but I didn't think much of it since it has always seemed to me that people from the USA are mostly like that.

radicalgraffiti
Jun 16 2011 20:46

they posted this just after lulzsec took down the cia website

Quote:
th3j35t3r Tickety Tock Tock
@lulzsec - re: your last hit. Gloves off. Expect me. My silence is not an indication of weakness, as your mouth is an indication of yours.
Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jun 16 2011 20:59

Yeah, I was a bit confused with that link (but, then again, I have no familiarity with the hacking subculture). In any case he used "faggot" as a very strong pejorative and that's not really cool.

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Jun 16 2011 23:44
Chilli Sauce wrote:
In any case he used "faggot" as a very strong pejorative and that's not really cool.

At risk of missing potential irony
That's probably the most used pejorative in those circles. It's used to form hundreds of combos with other words to describe almost anything. It usually has very little to do with homosexuality but grew out of the 4chan chock culture where being offensive and provocative was/is the shit. Any interest, group or style can be suffixed fag see moralfag.

Toms's picture
Toms
Jun 26 2011 14:21

If nobody minds I'm gonna update a bit

Lulzsec has decided to call quits, you can read the statement here, and if you want there is a torrent with all their releases.

It might be possible that they didn't just disband because of the arrest of Ryan Clearly, but also because they themselves where hacked by TeamPoison which published their personal information. I don't feel comfortable posting their personal information online even though it's widely available, so if anyone wants to see it, just search for it.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jun 26 2011 15:24

I have to say I am in the 'moralfag' camp, I can't get into calling people pedophiles and faggots for the lulz....

Thanks for the links Toms, interesting stuff. It seems us lower minions of computer literacy still have a lot to learn about the contradictions etc, in so called 'hacktivist' communities

Harrison
Jun 27 2011 09:04

Team Poison hacked the EDL a year or so back under the name 'Mujahideen Hacking Unit' (lol) and released loads of names/addresses of members. The've also hacked Tony Blair aides yesterday.

The reason they hacked LulzSec was because they don't like the whole 'for the lulz' 4chan thing that Anonymous & lulz originated from (which in the early days included things like hacking into web games played by 13 year olds and placing loads of Swastikas inside the game world). Anyway it's not really a loss, because LulzSec can just re-dissolve themselves into Anonymous, which is where they came from anyway.

The whole hacking subculture is totally ridiculous anyway, they all enjoy posing / developing massive egos and spelling their names WiTH m@d SP3LLiN9. As far as political activity goes, it can only achieve limited things.