"hundreds of thousands" walk of the job in German "warning strikes"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 6 2008 14:04
"hundreds of thousands" walk of the job in German "warning strikes"

This isn't the best article, but an interesting story regardless: http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/03/06/germany.weather.ap/index.html?eref=rss_latest

Also, can someone tell me what the hell is going on in that picture?!?

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 6 2008 14:11

wait, wait, wait, I just figured out what was going on in the pic, something to the effect of 'these offers stink'....

David in Atlanta
Mar 6 2008 14:18

ncwob is closer to the correct translation than whoever wrote the English caption. Best I can make out it doesn't say anything about "being sick" of anything.

mK ultra
Mar 7 2008 03:09

"It stinks for sewer workers.

From Eau de Toilette
to Eau de Sewer"

Presumably it works better in German.

I don't know much about the union: "ver.di", but I did meet some members at the G8 summit in Germany last year. They were staying in the protest camp with about 60 members of the steelworkers union and participated in the blockades. I'm not used to seeing rank and file union members mix with traveling crusty extremists.

robot's picture
robot
Mar 7 2008 05:49

ver.di is the central public services union with the DGB trade union federation. The have some 2,2 Millionen members and are the second largest trade union within the DGB. They are not very combatitive and have signed some really worse contracts within the past few years with wages of under 7 USD per hour in certain sectors in eastern Germany. But they have come under pressure recently, because they lost more than a quarter of their membership within the past few years and are hence about to start the lay-off of several thousand fulltime union officials. Combined with the fact, that wages in Germany are much lower than they used to be twenty years ago and that therefor many public service workers are really angry, ver.di must prove that they keep being of use for their members. They demand a 8% wage increase whereas the public employers offer them 4,5% for a two years contract and 1,5 hours extra work every week. If you know the German wage rituals you can know, that they will propably get some 5,5% including extra work and thus an effective wage *de*crease because the official inflation rate will be at some 3% only in 2008.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Mar 7 2008 15:10

Thanks for the info robot