Last post
Anonymous
Feb 3 2006 18:13
Fucking cocks! [The anti-free speech demonstrators]

This has really fucked me off! black bloc

Admin - thread title clarified

Vaneigemappreci...
Feb 3 2006 18:49

me too mate, the whole thing seems to be a huge bag of reactionary turd. I can see that if you take it in the context of the palestine/israel conflict, iraq etc then it could seem like a provocation, but i think this would be wrong.

I think its a crying shame that religous fundamentalism is making attempts to curtail even the most basic and tepid elements of what is called 'free speach', this goes for Christian as well as Islamic fundamentalists and i think it is a threat to common sense and freedom of thought and speach. It pisses me off when some people, and i include the SWP, respect in this, talk of a war against muslims and a persectuion of muslim people, as if Iraq was Bombed because it had people there who practised the muslim faith.

I reserve the right to criticise and chastise any set of beliefs, faith or ideology if i see them as being absurd, dangerous, hilarious, reactionary or all of the above. The worst thing is that such religous fundamentalism makes the British establishment look edgy, progressive and tolerant!

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Feb 3 2006 19:07

Hi

Quote:
I think its a crying shame that religious fundamentalism is making attempts to curtail even the most basic and tepid elements of what is called 'free speech'

I’d rather religious fundamentalists were being reactionary and histrionic than progressive and calm. Imagine the shame of finding them on our side. A bit like redtwister feels when I defend his positions.

Love

LR

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Feb 3 2006 19:28

Hmm has anyone got a degree of expertise in the more recent episodes of this kind of behaviour? I was just thinking it might be a good time to have a feature or something on fundamentalism for Freedom (re-affirm our rejection of all religion etc)...

Vaneigemappreci...
Feb 3 2006 19:29
Quote:
Quote:

I think its a crying shame that religious fundamentalism is making attempts to curtail even the most basic and tepid elements of what is called 'free speech'

I’d rather religious fundamentalists were being reactionary and histrionic than progressive and calm. Imagine the shame of finding them on our side. A bit like redtwister feels when I defend his positions.

yeah sorry mate , i think what i meant to say is: Religous fundamentalism; crying shame.

cmdrdeathguts
Feb 3 2006 23:04

i think that the left could learn something from those DOPE signs.

"behead those who oppose council housing and other cool leftwing shiznit."

also i'm drunk.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 3 2006 23:23
cmdrdeathguts wrote:
i think that the left could learn something from those DOPE signs.

"behead those who oppose council housing and other cool leftwing shiznit."

also i'm drunk.

I liked the "kill the kafir" one, I'm guessing that doesn't mean what I think it does.

I'm not drunk and I only have one can of stella left and no money. lucky bastard, still I do have some meths if I get desperate.

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Feb 4 2006 00:22

Wtf is the kafir?!

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Feb 4 2006 00:37

"infidel"? maybe. wasn't that jihad rap video called "dirty kafir" or something?

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Feb 4 2006 00:38

shit jack got in first

Mike Harman
Feb 4 2006 00:45

Some kids at work were printing "no vote" leaflets last May which said parliament was a "place for kafirs".

Spartacus's picture
Spartacus
Feb 4 2006 01:12

what's all this from anyway?

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Feb 4 2006 01:21

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,,1701518,00.html

Quote:
British Muslims protest over cartoons
Lazlo_Woodbine
Feb 4 2006 01:49

fucking scum

lucy_parsons's picture
lucy_parsons
Feb 4 2006 08:19

I wouldn't exactly say they were "fucking scum". I mean, you could argue that the original publication of the cartoons in Denmark was an expression of free speech and yadayadayah but surely reprinting them in other countries was deliberate provocation and incitement? Any anyway, isn't the issue less that Mohammed has been recreated in cartoon form and more that he's depicted as a terrorist?? Which sort of implies that all Muslims are terrorists. Hardly a wise move considering all the muslim-bashing that has taken place since "7/7" (I hate calling it that)

ticking_fool
Feb 4 2006 08:52

Lenin's tomb has a good post (http://leninology.blogspot.com/2006/02/muslims-are-coming-again.html) on it.

Not all of the content of these protests is fundamentalist. They're being coopted and coordinated by fundamentalists, but the thing that's driving people onto the streets is a constant bombardment of poisonous racist crap occasionally backed up with real bombardments of actual poisonous bombs. The leaders of these protests are tapping into a real stream of anger and (internationalist!) solidarity, and using it for their own pretty twisted ends, but that doesn't mean that you can dismiss the whole thing as 'islamo-fascism' (or somethind equally meaningless), or the people involved as 'fucking scum'.

JDMF's picture
JDMF
Feb 4 2006 10:48

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kafir

Choccy's picture
Choccy
Feb 4 2006 13:25
Jack wrote:
No, Grace did. Maybe you should shave your armpits again so you can go faster next time.

i did but it didn't help!

Refused's picture
Refused
Feb 4 2006 13:27
rkn wrote:
Wtf is the kafir?!

"Kafir" is arabic for "non-believer". "Khaen" is infidel.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Feb 4 2006 14:28
Refused wrote:
rkn wrote:
Wtf is the kafir?!

"Kafir" is arabic for "non-believer". "Khaen" is infidel.

Yeah even I knew that!

Jacques Roux's picture
Jacques Roux
Feb 4 2006 14:34

I only know secular-arabic wink tongue

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Feb 4 2006 15:25

http://muttawa.blogspot.com/2006/02/memo.html

Lazlo_Woodbine
Feb 4 2006 20:06

hmm, was a bit pissed last night, but I think my comment was directed at the whole shebang, rather than just the protestors in the article.

rebel_lion
Feb 5 2006 15:57

Those placards are a) so shittily made and b) so plain fucking ridiculous that it wouldn't surprise me if the ones in black were getting paid by the same employer as the ones in yellow... roll eyes

Lazlo_Woodbine
Feb 5 2006 21:02

i'm pissed again, so now I think just the muslims are scum

wink

gav's picture
gav
Feb 5 2006 21:55
Lazlo_Woodbine wrote:
i'm pissed again

clearly

pingtiao's picture
pingtiao
Feb 5 2006 23:16

Why can I hear George Fornby playing banjo whenever I look at that picture?

wheresmyshoes's picture
wheresmyshoes
Feb 5 2006 23:24

Freedom go to hell?

gav's picture
gav
Feb 5 2006 23:42
wheresmyshoes wrote:
Freedom go to hell?

catchy slogan, eh? lets hope it doesnt catch on

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Feb 6 2006 00:02

Bastards, angry

alibadani
Feb 6 2006 21:06

Well the Islamic fundies are angry at the argument that the cartoons are an expression of freedom of speech. So their response is "freedom go to hell".

The cartons were a deliberate provocation. Why on earth are newspapers in Norway, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Belgium, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Iceland and Hungary, both conservative and liberal, deciding to reprint them?

The original Danish paper has roots, historical ties with German and Italian fascists, and it is part of a attempt to fire up nationalist and anti-immigrant feelings.

The rulers have been trying to demonize and isolate the growing European Muslim population, and use it as a scapegoat for the growing misery facing workers. This is the other side of the coin. It goes hand in hand with the attacks on the living standards of the working class as a whole. It is designed also to lessen opposition to the imperialist intrigues against Muslim states, such as the present threats against Iran.

The left has joined in on the victimization of Muslims. In France the Trots were at the forefront of the move to ban Muslim headscarves in French schools.

A real critique of religion can only be done on the highest intellectual level, appealing to reason and science, not stupid caricatures.

I think this is a good link http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/feb2006/cart-f04.shtml for a leftist site

One doesn't have to be a muslim fundie to sympathize with all the racist provocations. The muslim fundies are loving this. Thier ranks are growing. This stinks man.