Dale Farm: Labour leader Ed Miliband supports evictions

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
wojtek
Sep 1 2011 18:24

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-14752048

I'm very ignorant on this matter and travellers generally, so what are people's views on what's happening at Dale Farm?

Picket's picture
Picket
Sep 1 2011 18:52

I have no special knowledge about this, but it does make me angry (as does the persecution/marginalisation of travellers generally). As far as I can tell from what I've read and the BBC documentary shown a while ago, a few wealthy locals are pissed off that these Irish travellers are having a negative effect on the value of their properties and have used their influence with the council to get them evicted from the land (which they actually purchased to live on) on the basis that it's a "greenfield" site. Actually it was a scrap yard before they moved on, apparently the scrap merchant who previously occupied the land had threatened the council that he would sell the land to them, if they didn't give him the planning permission he wanted (for his scrap yard).

The most vocal local is the rather unpleasant "property developer" Len Gridley who lives (alone, it seems) in a huge house with a large plot of land. On the BBC documentary it showed him speaking to one of the council officials about it, and the deference the official was showing to Gridley was palpable. Gridley does things like hiring helicopters to do fly-by photographic shootings of the travellers' site.

The travellers seem to have built a very strong community, a large extended family, really, and are understandably upset that this is now going to be destroyed...

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Sep 1 2011 21:18
Quote:

No surprise there.
And no fucking change.

Croy's picture
Croy
Sep 1 2011 22:30

I really hope this does not come as a shock to you wojtek, or anyone on these forums.

Wellclose Square
Sep 1 2011 22:47
the croydonian anarchist wrote:
I really hope this does not come as a shock to you wojtek, or anyone on these forums.

I'm not surprised, but still shocked by the level of racism endured by Romanies, Gypsies and travellers. Not surprised because I hear and see evidence of it all the time, shocked still because it's expressed, or a kneejerk response of, people I might otherwise have respected, or love (as a brother, cousin, etc.). Aside from the despicably poisonous racism (evident in blogs like Anna Racoon's and pretty much all her commenters - I won't link - hateful bastards - almost makes you want to subscribe to a hellfire religion, knowing that they'd get all the fire and brimstone to come), what's just as hard - as a facebooker (yes, wince) - is the yawning, deafening silence of people you just know are either too spineless or quietly racist to respond to anything.

RedEd's picture
RedEd
Sep 2 2011 05:29

This all fucking disgusting. The local rich looking to get richer by kicking poor marginalised people out of their homes either by the increased local house prices or by wanting to 'develop' the land.

The trouble with joining in is no one knows when the bailiffs are coming, so it's hard to know when to get down there, even for people not living too far away, like me. Luckily students are on holiday at the moment, which can keep numbers of supporters up. But it seems like a waiting game might be played by the council. After all, they've been going for this for more than a decade under the Tories and labour.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Sep 2 2011 08:47

I read somewhere that the council was spending £18 million on making these families homeless, while they slash their own services. It's absolutely disgusting - but for capital it makes sense. Everywhere capital destroys ways of living which enable people to avoid somewhat the proletarian condition. Forcing people off land into rented boxes which we must either work to pay for or form part of the reserve army of unemployed labour which helps keep wages for everyone else down.

Django's picture
Django
Sep 2 2011 11:48

Disgusting yes, but it appears to be part of a wave of persecution of gypsies, Roma and other travellers all over Europe. Racism towards travellers is one of the last bastions of acceptible prejudice, and it looks like governments across Europe are emboldening one another through their anti-traveller measures.

Where I am at the moment (Czech Republic) there have been violent anti-Roma protests after a reported racist attack on some whites outside a pub in northern Bohemia, which followed a similar event a few weeks ago.

Quote:
In response, thousands of white residents from villages in the region have taken to the streets, some going to Roma neighborhoods and chanting slogans like "Gypsies to work! Czechs, Czechs!" and "Where are you, you black swine?" while pelting windows with blunt objects and destroying property.

Source

According to the above article there's been a lot of migration by Roma to the region, I'm unsure whether this is connected with the expulsions in France and persecution elsewhere.

soc's picture
soc
Sep 2 2011 13:21
Django wrote:
Disgusting yes, but it appears to be part of a wave of persecution of gypsies, Roma and other travellers all over Europe. Racism towards travellers is one of the last bastions of acceptible prejudice, and it looks like governments across Europe are emboldening one another through their anti-traveller measures.

Where I am at the moment (Czech Republic) there have been violent anti-Roma protests after a reported racist attack on some whites outside a pub in northern Bohemia, which followed a similar event a few weeks ago.

Quote:
In response, thousands of white residents from villages in the region have taken to the streets, some going to Roma neighborhoods and chanting slogans like "Gypsies to work! Czechs, Czechs!" and "Where are you, you black swine?" while pelting windows with blunt objects and destroying property.

Source

According to the above article there's been a lot of migration by Roma to the region, I'm unsure whether this is connected with the expulsions in France and persecution elsewhere.

Spot on, Django. I would like to add, that the most alarming conditions of Romas are in Central and East Europe, as they serve as a pretext to revive old fascist reflexes. In Hungary, there were racism motivated serial killings (shooting of Roma families during the night and also there's an unclear involvement of military intelligence), there's a growing popularity of a far-right party, which is already in the parlament, who regularly forms paramilitary units, under different names. Recently, they have the habit to show up in small villages to "maintain order" under the cover of civil patrolling. Also, these groups are encouraged by the governments of the "west" who also deploy increased police terror against travellers and romas. Basically saying paramilitary groups and the police is in competition to harass gypsys and the wider public quitely approve this. Extremely bad situation, I would say.

wojtek
Sep 5 2011 15:17

The eviction date has been set for 19th September onwards

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-14785894