Terrorist attacks in Norway

209 posts / 0 new
Last post
Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 22 2011 15:47
Terrorist attacks in Norway

Insane. Aight in the neck of the woods where I used to live way back when. Here's hoping that xenophobia doesn't even get more popular than it already is. I really hope it's Sri Lankan extremists rather than the usual suspects.

admin: thread title changed from "Car bomb in Oslo" for accuracy

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jul 22 2011 16:14

Yes this is not good is it. I am keeping an eye on the up dates. I too hope it is not the 'usual suspects'....

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 22 2011 16:26

Latest now is that a gunman in police uniform is firing at the summer camp participants of the youth wing of the Labour party.

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Jul 22 2011 16:37

Hmm. Possible hopes that it could be more specifically anti-Norwegian Labour Party attack (neo-nazis?) rather than a simple "death to all infidels" play?

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 22 2011 16:40

Neo-nazis in Norway are not sophisticated enough to pull something like this off (in this case unfortunately; I'd rather it be nazis than anything else). Though Swedish neo-nazis might be organized enough. Still this seems like a Mumbai style attack.

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Jul 22 2011 16:45

Yes, a somewhat forlorn hope perhaps. But there does seem to be a focus on Stoltenberg?

Guardian

Quote:
5:16pm: Neil Perry in Oslo just sent me this worrying development. I'll try to get more details:

A man disguised as a police officer began shooting where youth were attending a Labour party conference at Utoya, Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg has just confirmed.

He said there is a 'critical and serious situation' but he is safe.

He was speaking on the phone to Norwegian TV station TV2.

UPDATE: This post was amended as Stoltenberg was not present at the conference as previously stated. He had been due to attend it but did not go

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 22 2011 16:48

A focus on the Labour Party more like it. where the bomb went off is where most governmental offices are and is really close to the square (youngstorget) where most Norwegian parties have their HQs. The summer camp is the Labour Youth. But a hit on Stoltenberg, the PM, would make sense.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 22 2011 17:23

Rumour about the gunman.

Quote:
Arrested man is blond, nordic and about 1.90 CM accourding to TV2. #whys #osloexpl

If this is correct, the far right is more likely. Still could be a convert.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jul 22 2011 17:35

Well the Guardian says it could be a group called 'Helpers of the Global Jihad', so hold your horses on the right-wing thing....

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Jul 22 2011 17:52

Two people confirmed dead apparently.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 22 2011 18:01
Quote:
Well the Guardian says it could be a group called 'Helpers of the Global Jihad', so hold your horses on the right-wing thing....

I saw that as well, but that was very very early. I guess wishful thiking on my part. If it is the usual suspects then racism, which is already pretty bad, will go through the roof. There's an election coming up and the far right party will try to capitalize on this and push through all kinds of reactionary shit they've been wanting to do for ages. Unless the Labour Party gets a sympathy vote, though they're likely to do the same crap as the far right now adays.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jul 22 2011 18:17

I was with you with that wishful thinking,

Quote:
A terror group, Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami (the Helpers of the Global Jihad), issued a statement claiming responsibility for the attack, according to Will McCants, a terrorism analyst at CNA, a research institute that studies terrorism. The message said the attack was a response to Norwegian forces' presence in Afghanistan and to unspecified insults to the Prophet Muhammad. "We have warned since the Stockholm raid of more operations," the group said, apparently referred to a bombing in Sweden in December 2010, according to Mr McCants' translation. "What you see is only the beginning, and there is more to come." The claim could not be confirmed.

unfortunately it was perhaps too wishful....

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Jul 22 2011 18:54

Perhaps. But don't forget certain islamist groups have a tendency to claim anything and everything for the publicity. The Utoya attack seems to have the mark of planning involving people with a specific knowledge of Norwegian society.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jul 22 2011 19:01

Yes the 7/7 bombers in London had a certain specific knowledge of British society also (namely, because they were British). That said I am not sure of the history of migration to Norway.

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Jul 22 2011 19:16

Doesn't sound like the Utoya shooter is an immigrant if the still very patchy information is anything to go on. The 7/7 bombers may well have been Yorkshire born & bred, but their action did not require that much intel. Any reasonably sussed person could scope out the crowded public transport nexi of even a foreign a capital city with only a few weeks observation. But to be able to know that the young scions of the dominant political party - the children of the (political) ruling class, meet every year on this island - that's something neither I, you nor the writer of that Ansar release, would have any idea of from the outside.

All I'm saying is don't rule out the Tim McVeigh scenario till we hear more about the shooter.

martinh
Jul 22 2011 19:17

The assumption in the ms media seems to be that it must be islamists, cos no one else is capable. One BBC "expert" suggested it could be anarchists but then admitted that was unlikely. He also dismissed the fash, but my understanding of scandinavian fash is that firearms are regularly brandished (and used) and they have certainly murdered people in Sweden. TBH it's a bit of a sea change for jihadists (if it is them) to target specific groups (ie Labour) rather than general (tube passengers). Like Ocelot, i think there are a lot of groups who will claim anything, and until we know more I wouldn't discount domestic far right.

Hope all our norwegian posters are ok.

Regards,

Martin

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Jul 22 2011 19:36
martinh wrote:
One BBC "expert" suggested it could be anarchists but then admitted that was unlikely.

I was just thinking "which numpty was that?" when the eejit appeared on the telly - Paul Rogers of Bradford Uni apparently. Grr.

martinh wrote:
Hope all our norwegian posters are ok.

Amen to that.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 22 2011 20:15

I'm with Ocelot on this one. The Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami claimed respsonsibility even before the shooting was reported, which seems a bit strange. And it's been confirmed that the shooter was tall and blonde. Now the ethnicity of the shooter might not mean anything; he could be a convert. But he did fool everyone into believing he was a policeman; likely fluent Norwegian without a hint of accent.

I've just read up on Norwegian news and it seems like it was one person who did both acts, though still hard to tell.

As far as I know the only Norwegians posting here are Felix Frost and myself (and I live in Canada). Felix, are you ok?

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Jul 22 2011 20:48

If this actually is a one-man band gig, then I guess this is the time that we start hoping that this guy's previous political engagements (and horrific and evil as this is, this is a political act - not a "religious" one) were in the extreme-right and that he didn't pass through the radical left at any stage.

For me, if this is a singleton, then the bomb was a feint and Utøya was his real climax. Whether as a symbol of the establishment or, who knows, perhaps even he'd been there himself before? I guess we'll know soon enough. Whatever the truth, this is a social earthquake.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 22 2011 20:55

It seems like it is a one man gig, going by the press conference by the PM and minster of justice, but they are not confirming this. The gunman is Norwegian; at least that much has been established. Some terror "experts" say that if it is a one man gig, the reasons might be homegrown.

It is pretty clear that it was an attack on the Labour Party. The bomb was placed outside the office of the PM. It was rumored that the PM was going to talk at Utøya today. So definitively a politically motivated attack. Utøya btw hosts a lot of different summer camps; has lots of cabins etc. It is very likely he has been there before.

arminius's picture
arminius
Jul 22 2011 21:08

I did hear a rumour of a bombscare at the Oslo airport on Euronews a couple hours ago. That's nothing then?

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 22 2011 21:24

I have not heard anything about that. I am watching Norwegian news and everything is focused on Oslo city centre and Utøya.

Ethnic Norwegian, 32 years old the perperator. Most analysts point to a right-wing extremist. Does not follow the pattern of your typical al qaeda attack.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jul 22 2011 21:42

No the shooting and the specific targeting doesn't seem like your usual european islamist attack. I just assumed that because Ansar al-Jihad al-Alami said they did it, they must have did it. i mean. They will look like idiots if it turns out it wasn't them.....

neutral
Jul 22 2011 22:03

Article from 10 years ago:

Quote:
Neo-Nazi arrested with dynamite and police uniforms
A 23-year-old neo-Nazi from Ringerike is in custody after police found two pistols, one kg explosives and two police uniforms with him.

Source: http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/iriks/article231455.ece

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Jul 22 2011 22:08

Machine translation;

Quote:
Police link arrested man (32) to the bomb in Oslo and Utøya-shooting
LARS ANDREAS Ellingsgard Øverli EIVIND Sørlie HANS O. TORGERSEN
Updated: 22.07.11 at. 11:50 p.m. Published: 7/22/11 at. 10:12 p.m.
But the man, who is Norwegian, shall not be affiliated with any terrorist organization, after the Aftenposten.no experience.
Police working on Friday night after what they describe as a "hot lead".
A man should have been observed as he walked into a brown van near the government quarter, as Friday afternoon was hit by a powerful bomb.
The man should have been seen only two minutes before the bomb narrowly.
The police had "strong reason to believe" that this man is the same as the man who was arrested Friday night.
This track investigator police now thoroughly, it is verified by the police press conference.
- There is reason to believe that he has been dealing with the events in Oslo and the Utøya, said Acting Police Chief Sverre Sponheim.
The arrested are a 32 year old Norwegian citizen. He sits on the night of questioning.
- There is a dialogue between our investigators and arrested. He is willing to have a dialogue with the police. We have not yet received any kind of motive, said Sponheim.
Police confirmed that the arrested person used automatic weapons. He has not yet been charged.
Sponheim confirms that police have found explosives on Utøya. It is going on in the evening cold calling both Utøya and in Oslo.
- There is also reason to believe that the number of dead will rise, based on feedback on the discoveries made when one has gone through Utøya said Sponheim.
Arrested man is Norwegian
The police know the arrested man's identity, but will not provide more details about the arrest.
- The man is Norwegian, confirmed Justice Minister Knut Storberget a news conference Friday night.
After the Aftenposten.no experience, the arrested man did not have affiliation to any terrorist organization.
The police should be familiar with the environment man is associated.
The police will not answer questions about the arrested man's background, or if he has a position where he has access to weapons.
neutral
Jul 22 2011 23:37

Norwegian television revealed who it is in a blurred picture, the internet (they're trustworthy!) says it's this guy:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002651290254

Anders Behring Breivik
A christian conservative studying economics who's into Hunting.

EDIT: confirmed in mainstream media.

888's picture
Jul 22 2011 23:43

Yes I was just about to post that - he doesn't have very extreme views, according to his FB profile, just intellectual conservative ones.

http://nb-no.facebook.com/​people/Anders-Behring-Brei​vik/100002651290254?sk=fri​ends

http://100gf.wordpress.com/2011/07/22/norway-shooter-named-locally-as-32-year-old-anders-behring-breivik/

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jul 22 2011 23:51

Yeah the Daily hate Mai have written a piece here. The Daily Mail feels the needs to discuss the whole landscape of Islamic terrorism in Europe at the moment.

I looked both at the facebook and his twitter account. He has no friends on FB, and there is no msgs or tweets before 17th of july....

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Jul 23 2011 00:33

He seems to be in control of the information circulating about him at the moment as much of it comes from Facebook and Twitter accounts created very recently. So I'ts very difficult to know how much of it is lies or just very staged material. Taking part in the media frenzy and speculation he set up makes me very uncomfortable.

From what is known (various sources flashback.org etc) he has been posting islamophobic, christian, conservative and sionist material to a range of right wing but not nazi forums. He was at some point a member of at least the youth organisation of Fremskrittspartiet a sucessful right wing party. He had some kind of farming business which would have given him access to fertilizer for the presumably Oklahoma style bomb.

An awful and meaningless event, I feel for the victims families.

klas batalo's picture
klas batalo
Jul 23 2011 00:34
Quote:
I looked both at the facebook and his twitter account. He has no friends on FB, and there is no msgs or tweets before 17th of july....

weird

arminius's picture
arminius
Jul 23 2011 00:47

NO friends, eh? That seems absurdly strange on fb (-tho' what would I know, I stay away from it).