'Candlelight demonstrations' in South Korea

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Beltov
Aug 5 2008 19:33
'Candlelight demonstrations' in South Korea

We have recently published a contribution from the Left Communist Group (previously the SPA) in South Korea on the 'Candlelight demonstrations' that have taken place there over the past few months:

On the “candlelight demonstrations” in South Korea
http://en.internationalism.org/icconline/2008/08/korea

There hasn't been much coverage of them on Libcom. What do people think of it all?

B.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Aug 5 2008 21:50

I commented on this on your website:

Devrim wrote:
It was interesting to read about the events in Korea. However, without knowing all of the details, the impression that I get of these events is that it is not a class movement.

Huge demonstrations against the government is not the sole criteria when looking at a movement. There are many other things that must be considered.

Last year there were huge anti-government demonstrations in our country, Turkey, the largest of which motivated about 2,500,000 people. They were though in fact extremely nationalist demonstrations that were clearly backing other factions of the bourgeoisie.

To me the approach of the comrades in South Korea seems to be similar to that of the Trotskyists or anarchists where they get involved in these cross class movements in order to ...well, recruit members really.

I think our approach should be different.

Devrim

Iron Column
Aug 5 2008 23:45

Was this the Korean group that had an interview with Loren Goldner a few years ago, the text of which is up somewhere else on libcom?

Beltov
Aug 6 2008 09:07

No. The group that interviewed Goldner was Sanoshin, not the SPA/LCG.