DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

ALF to target students?!

468 posts / 0 new
Last post
Fatty
Offline
Joined: 15-01-06
Jan 30 2006 21:41

Well, I'd say I have "evidence" which would indicate that they do prioritise foreign students as I am one myself and they did prioritise me. I applied late yet got an early reply. I applied late to halls in my first year of my degree and they gave me the very best halls. I didn't meet the grades criteria (in both UCAS points and GCSE grades) and they still let me into my primary choice. It just seemed like they were making some major exceptions which I didn't think I deserved (at that time). Mainly allowing me better accomodation because some people applied months before I did and got the worst of the worst.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jan 30 2006 21:46
Jef Costello wrote:
Grace wrote:
Cock

Don't see how.

I don't think an attack on Oxford students can really be taken as an attack on the working class.

Define what's working class and what's not then.

(If you don't define terms your point's meaningless.)

Grace
Offline
Joined: 19-07-05
Jan 30 2006 21:48
John. wrote:
Jef Costello wrote:
Grace wrote:
Cock

Don't see how.

I don't think an attack on Oxford students can really be taken as an attack on the working class.

Define what's working class and what's not then.

(If you don't define terms your point's meaningless.)

What he means is we're all millionaires who wear pashminettas and pour champagne on our diamond encrusted cereal. Or perhaps that's just me...

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Offline
Joined: 6-05-05
Jan 30 2006 21:49

Hi

Even if they are all bourgeois, then they are my bourgeois, not the ALF’s. The working class will decide their fate, not the lunatic fringe.

Love

LR

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jan 30 2006 21:50
Grace wrote:
What he means is we're all millionaires who wear pashminettas and pour champagne on our diamond encrusted cereal. Or perhaps that's just me...

Well obviously you all own means of production. They give you them when you start. With the gown.

Grace
Offline
Joined: 19-07-05
Jan 30 2006 21:55
John. wrote:
Grace wrote:
What he means is we're all millionaires who wear pashminettas and pour champagne on our diamond encrusted cereal. Or perhaps that's just me...

Well obviously you all own means of production. They give you them when you start. With the gown.

Yeah I keep my factory under my bed. The workers don't seem to mind all that much.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Offline
Joined: 9-02-06
Jan 30 2006 22:11

Do I really need to define working class here ffs John.

Quote:
Even if they are all bourgeois, then they are my bourgeois, not the ALF’s.

Lazy Riser, they are owned communally and when the time comes they'll be taken out communally (a bit like murder on the orient express)

I see no problem with executing the bourgeoisie.

I won't be first against the wall but I will be at some point; I'd expect nothing less of any revolution that I supported. Although it might be more useful to the w/c to put me into some kind of work camp.

Fatty: the housing stuff is done quite openly at some unis, on the grounds that international students will have more problems settling in etc. In your case they just want the money. This means you have some. Give me some.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Offline
Joined: 9-02-06
Jan 30 2006 22:12

A factory under your bed? I bet Fatty has them quaking in their boots grin

Grace
Offline
Joined: 19-07-05
Jan 30 2006 22:13

Haha, yes, but let's not speak of that on here 8)

Fatty
Offline
Joined: 15-01-06
Jan 30 2006 22:14
Jef Costello wrote:
Fatty: the housing stuff is done quite openly at some unis, on the grounds that international students will have more problems settling in etc. In your case they just want the money. This means you have some. Give me some.

My government give me £11,000 a year at the moment, so no, I don't have much money at all. I haven't got a student loan and my overdraft account is at "nil" at the moment and I'm £650 up in my offshore account which has to last me the rest of this term which isn't that much at all.

Jef Costello wrote:
A factory under your bed? I bet Fatty has them quaking in their boots

I'm a well known slave-driver.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jan 30 2006 22:16
Jef Costello wrote:
Do I really need to define working class here ffs John.

The socialist definition is someone who doesn't own capital and so sells their labour to survive.

That obviously doesn't apply to what you've said here, so I assume you're using the Polly Toynbee/Guardian definition? In which case yeah I think you should define it.

Grace
Offline
Joined: 19-07-05
Jan 30 2006 22:16
Fatty wrote:
I'm a well known slave-driver.

I just said let's not speak of that on here, you jerk embarrassed

Grace
Offline
Joined: 19-07-05
Jan 30 2006 22:17
John. wrote:
The socialist definition is someone who doesn't own capital and so sells their labour to survive.

That obviously doesn't apply to what you've said here, so I assume you're using the Polly Toynbee/Guardian definition? In which case yeah I think you should define it.

I dunno, we're not allowed to sell our labour cry

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jan 30 2006 22:19
Grace wrote:
John. wrote:
The socialist definition is someone who doesn't own capital and so sells their labour to survive.

That obviously doesn't apply to what you've said here, so I assume you're using the Polly Toynbee/Guardian definition? In which case yeah I think you should define it.

I dunno, we're not allowed to sell our labour cry

Yeah so you're living on debt, to pay later with your labour. Anyway you know what I mean - work/debt/benefits/crime.

I don't think anyone would buy your labour anyway, ha ha tongue

Fatty
Offline
Joined: 15-01-06
Jan 30 2006 22:20

For some people her labour is free.

*hides*

Grace
Offline
Joined: 19-07-05
Jan 30 2006 22:21

Someone ban him, NOW.

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Offline
Joined: 6-05-05
Jan 30 2006 22:39

Hi

Quote:
Polly Toynbee

Why not call it "Polly Toynbee" and leave it self-defining. The fact remains that animal rights should not be discussed as if thay had political relevance beyond being an anomalous curiosity.

Love

LR

powertotheimagi...
Offline
Joined: 24-06-05
Jan 30 2006 22:39

No point in the labs, so no problem if they are stopped.

Lazy Riser's picture
Lazy Riser
Offline
Joined: 6-05-05
Jan 30 2006 22:42

Hi

Are the skins of dead lab animals in a decent enough state to be available to make slippers and stuff? That would make a nice little earner for someone, and no mistake.

Love

LR

powertotheimagi...
Offline
Joined: 24-06-05
Jan 30 2006 22:47

If people like them all blotchy and covered in pin holes. The proposed lab is going to use some sort of primatives (I think), so you could have a coat just like Pete's.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jan 30 2006 22:50
powertotheimagination wrote:
No point in the labs, so no problem if they are stopped.

Unless you have an illness that you want cured of course.

Fatty
Offline
Joined: 15-01-06
Jan 30 2006 22:53
powertotheimagination wrote:
No point in the labs, so no problem if they are stopped.

Surely the cure to many diseases wouldn't be found, then surely if it affected you personally then you'd want to take action? How would you do that? Subject another family member or friend to testing? So you'd let your family die of common diseases?

It's a tough topic, but there is a point in labs, they effectively save hundreds of thousands of lives due to their discoveries.

Grace
Offline
Joined: 19-07-05
Jan 30 2006 22:55

BURN OXFORD UNI! WE'D RATHER HAVE CANCER! BURN OXFORD UNI! WE'D RATHER HAVE CANCER!

powertotheimagi...
Offline
Joined: 24-06-05
Jan 30 2006 22:56

Curing diseases is a must for medical science. Shame it dosen't come about through vivisection. I spent a whole 15 page debate (mattkid knows about it) on it. It has no scientific validity, so no need for any more labs.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jan 30 2006 22:58
powertotheimagination wrote:
Curing diseases is a must for medical science. Shame it dosen't come about through vivisection. I spent a whole 15 page debate (mattkid knows about it) on it. It has no scientific validity, so no need for any more labs.

Sorry, that's just not true ptti. This is a discussion in itself though. If it was true, why do you think it's done? Cos those people like torturing animals?

Grace
Offline
Joined: 19-07-05
Jan 30 2006 22:59
John. wrote:
If it was true, why do you think it's done? Cos those people like torturing animals?

But they do, don't they?

Fatty
Offline
Joined: 15-01-06
Jan 30 2006 23:01

I burnt ants with my magnifying glass when I was a kid - does that class as torture?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jan 30 2006 23:01
Grace wrote:
John. wrote:
If it was true, why do you think it's done? Cos those people like torturing animals?

But they do, don't they?

85% do enjoy pouring acid on monkeys' penises yes.

powertotheimagi...
Offline
Joined: 24-06-05
Jan 30 2006 23:02

Money? Dosen't that maintain alot of industries that cause harm? What about the fact it is a good cover when people try to sue you for the damage the drugs cause? What about the fact you can publish lots of papers to go into the medical journals? What about the fact its a established medical relic that won't seem to budge?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jan 30 2006 23:05
powertotheimagination wrote:
Money? Dosen't that maintain alot of industries that cause harm? What about the fact it is a good cover when people try to sue you for the damage the drugs cause? What about the fact you can publish lots of papers to go into the medical journals? What about the fact its a established medical relic that won't seem to budge?

What??

Money? Testing on artificial substances would be just as profitable (in fact probably much more profitable than live testing cos you can't patent a dog but you can fakedogskin113 TM).

The reason it "doesn't budge" is because there's no adequate replacement. As soon as another method became more efficient they'd switch to that.

It's this weird anti-science/medicine conspiracy idea I find the weirdest in anti-vivisectors. confused