“I will commit a crime and get arrested. I need some food.”

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Alpinista's picture
Alpinista
Sep 28 2013 20:42
“I will commit a crime and get arrested. I need some food.”

http://tinyurl.com/m9hlkq5

The Department for Work and Pensions is literally starving people and forcing them to commit crime in order to eat. How many other similar incidents go unreported?

crwydryny
Oct 3 2013 15:09

and the worst part of it, the staff at the jobcenter probably didn't even inform him that he could claim hardship allowance (about 80% of JSA) while his benifits were stopped. when my benifits were stopped for several months for not applying for a job that I was unqualified for (and despite having applied for more jobs than listed on my agreement) I was lucky that I had a decient advisor who actually knew what she was doing and when she saw what they had done went off and got forms for appealing the descision and for claiming hardship allowance until it was sorted.

a guy I work with was banned for 2 years because he couldn't find 26 jobs to apply for in the space of a week (this was back during the crash when companies were going out of buisness left right and center) he never even heard of hardship allowance or his right to appeal until I told him.

with all the changes that the jobcenters are putting in place at this time things are only going to get worse there's more unemployed than jobs to fill (and those jobs available are going to work program slave labour)

Alpinista's picture
Alpinista
Oct 3 2013 21:17

I can't say for certain but I assume that Job Centre advisors are required to inform their clients of Hardship Allowance and the right to appeal in the event of JSA termination. So by not informing clients of their options advisors are presumably breaching their employment contracts. Now, given the extent to which this government is dismantling the benefit system it's not unreasonable to assume that advisors are being told to keep sanctioned clients misinformed about their rights and options, probably to save the DWP a pocketful of pennies and lint. No wonder stories like the one in my OP are appearing, although as I posited I suspect a great many more go unreported, much to the convenience of the Tories.