Zaher Baher's comments

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
kurekmurek
Nov 12 2014 11:57
Zaher Baher's comments

Hi everyone

I would like to organize the comments of Zaher Baher shared under comments section of this article: [url=they contain first hand experiences]https://libcom.org/news/experiment-west-kurdistan-syrian-kurdistan-has-p...[/url]
They are like a follow up to report so I thought that they should be preserved somewhere (as an account of an anarchist who went to Rojava). Although they contain additional first hand experiences, they are very easy to miss in comments section . I will try to be chronological but my main priority will be to organize his answers in a topical manner. I also tried to make them more appropriate for an essay form.

1. Rojava
1.1. Economy
There is not many factories there and whole the oilfields have been shut down or unworkable. After a lot of effort by Tev-Dom and PYD managed to use a few of them. The farms: most of them have been used by peasants and do not have to pay anything to the owners of the land.

1.2. Gender Equality
I mentioned the equality between women and man inside both Tev-Dom and DSA and also In YPG & YPJ ( Defence Units of People and Defence Units of Women". While that equality in Britain political party like Labour not exist. I do not know you heard of Harriet Harman who recently complained against Gordon Brown and also you hear from time to time that the females military or Police have been abused sexually by their colleagues, their superiors.

1.3. Ethnic Plurality
In my opinion, emerged in that experiment was these people practically proved they work on the ground exactly opposite of what Muslim said. So many Arabs and Christians have taken a part in the Tev-Dom and DSA. For your information Akram (sorry I forgot the surname) is one of the co-head of executive committee is Arab. And also I saw Arab and Christians were armed in the YPG and YPJ protection Units. In addition to this, when we were in Seri-Kani we asked people in Tev-Dom what do they do with those people they were in a position with Assad's regime and harmed people? In reply, they said, the top people of them have already left there and the others who are still there, they have been forgiven as their war is with the system, not the individual. But they have added to their reply and said: if anybody in the region wants … any of those people they supported Assad at the time and committed crime [to be judged.], They ( Tev-Dom &DSA) cannot stop them and intervene, they leave the case to Court's decision.
They do not believe the nationalist or religion state. They do not work on intensifying, symbolizing, specializing, glorifying ...a nationalist or religion state they believe in power sharing with the rest of ethnic minorities. This is a good tactic and good strategy avoiding the clash between them. Do not forget what I said in my report is only reflecting that particulate time or period. Things can be changed either way. In the next election of DSA we will see the more power struggle between DSA & Tev-Dom. For me the [important] experiment is Tev-Dom not the DSA. Because the DSA cannot remain under control or influence of Tev-Dom as it is now. The power can be changed either way.

1.4. Direct Democracy:
My report is about Syrian Kurdistan, especially about the Tev-Dom not PKK although PKK and PYD are behind this experiment and very supportive. However, many, many people and organizations participate and contributed in both Tev-Dom and DSA are neither PKK nor PYD [members]. In addition, I also spoke to many individuals they told me they do not belong to any of these political parties and even they are against the state and the authority. Whatever today we see in the ground in Syrian Kurdistan is 100% different from PKK principles and ideas of 8 to 10 years ago. I said that PKK & PYD behind this event and supportive, in the same time I know both parties as I stated in my report are hierarchical organizations and this is a big test or exam for PKK to accept what happened there and go by what Ocalan says for a while about the state, or leave it or control it. In the case of controlling it, I do not think it will be easy job for them.

2. The Transformation of PKK
PKK in its structure changed in many aspects. It is rejecting: nationalism, Kurdish state [to] unifying all the parts of Kurdistan. They no longer believe in army struggles. At least there is a tendency among some of the PKK leader and many people in the bottom of the party of anti-authoritarianism and Anti-statism. Also it tries to convert from a political party revolutionary[ position] to a social revolution[ist position]. Certainly you cannot call PKK a terrorist party. I think calling it a terrorist party is unfair. But I must say that any army struggle sometimes involves in terrorist act, but in terms of PKK we all know the real terrorist is the Turkish State or government who has created an atmosphere that pushing group or political parties to do the same.
As for Ocalan, [a lot of]changes happened in his idea and thought.

3. Anarchism, Kurdish Anarchism and KAF
I have no connection with PKK at all and never had any. More than that I am against any political parties and any [military] struggles. What you read in my report was all true and I could not undermined them
I am not in a favor of any states under any names and PYD and DSA do not believe in any nationalist or religious state at all , you can read their Social Contract clearly they reject this firmly. My report only represents now. I could not talk about the future of that movement, Tev-Dom. As I mentioned in " fear s and expectation" part there will be a power struggles between Tev-Dom and DSA in the nearest future. Whatever happens in the future does not justify that the anarchist do not support a movement like that at the present while it has not build a state.
There has been a long period between both interviews that done by KAF and now .The interviews back to 2010 and 2012. Things since have been changed. Neither the PKK is the same intern of some of their policies nor is the Syrian Kurdistan the same as it was in 2010 and 2012. Indeed even there was some changes in the World and the region specially since. Although it is for KAF to answer you but I know KAF does see the things in move, analyses the events, parties, movements according to their progresses and developments.
I do not see any anarchist movement here [Kurdistan], if there is, [it must be] extremely week. There is no doubt there are many individuals, many activists among the anarchists but they are very tiny minority and who have the commitment for what they believe. Unfortunately, the majority of them they taken the anarchists principles that [are] against … organization[s] for granted. However, they do not want to distinguish between a hierarchal and non-hierarchal organization. Our comrades [Who think they know freedom and regular people does not know it] using these to avoid discussing the things or getting the opinions of others ... This [Freedom itself] also can be used against the commitment, against self-organizing.

4. Solidarity
The anarchists in here or Europe can help very much: Through the publicity, visiting there, donations, medicine campaigns, and many more [actions] they can do.
I will not hide my feeling about the attitude of anarchists in Europe to say that they do not appreciate or consider seriously what happen in Middle East or Africa. I am sure if what is happening in Syrian Kurdistan was happening in Europe or in South America, thousands from Europe would be launching different campaigns to support them.

Organized from comments of Zaher Baher

Spikymike
Nov 12 2014 13:32

The link to Zaher's text doesn't seem to work - should start http not https but perhaps that would suit you as it avoids the comments on the other thread you find so irritating. Indeed your persistance in starting numerous new threads on the same subject with much the same content when you get fed up with the opposition to your point of view is noteworthy but not praiseworthy!

kurekmurek
Nov 12 2014 13:57
Quote:
The link to Zaher's text doesn't seem to work - should start http not https but perhaps that would suit you as it avoids the comments on the other thread you find so irritating. Indeed your persistance in starting numerous new threads on the same subject with much the same content when you get fed up with the opposition to your point of view is noteworthy but not praiseworthy!

Why are you so angry to me? You are just biased against me and this is actually a very good example of it. I made two corrections to my post. One of them would was adding the name of Zaher as the last sentence the other one was fixing the link. However If you edit a forum you need to wait for moderators to accept it. And I am waiting for it. Sorry for pissing you off!

I am interested in this issue and all my forum topics were specific to something, I find interesting to discuss. You are not needed to comment if you do not like them. also I (unfortunately) continue to discuss them also in other threads. I make this topic realizing that Zaher actually provided more info in his comments that I want to see later in an organized manner. What is wrong with you people? Do not troll me. I do not troll you. I do not go for example post in the thread "what current movements inspire you?" and say I am inspired by Rojava. I do not provoke you to come here and insult me. Why someone always comes up and does this and I am blamed for being a troll.

AES's picture
AES
Nov 12 2014 14:20

On how many threads will we have to go over the same discussion about Rojava and PKK?

kurekmurek
Nov 12 2014 14:50

How many more posts will you troll me AES ?

AES's picture
AES
Nov 12 2014 14:56

This thread should be part of the above linked news article, there is no reason to have multiple threads about the same topic, repeating the same discussions and arguements

kurekmurek
Nov 12 2014 14:57

I even excluded comments related to marxism or state that will cause more debate on the issue. I just ant to note the words of someone who traveled to Rojava and report what he said organized manner to be used better or worse for future use. Is it a to bad thing to do? If people confuse even this with propaganda and need to debate once more, this shows just how intolerant some people (unfortunately of communist/anarchist kind [again some]) are.

AES's picture
AES
Nov 12 2014 14:58

Can admins make a decision on this?

kurekmurek
Nov 12 2014 14:58

I am OK if Libcom wants to add it there, in fact I would be flattered actually. But I think that would be disrespectful for Zaher.

cicatriz
Dec 18 2014 11:27

thanks kurremkarmerruk, that was a nice summary to understand zaher's work quickly, well done