people's mujahedin of iran - general thoughts?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
honeybee's picture
honeybee
Aug 3 2011 16:46
people's mujahedin of iran - general thoughts?

I couldn't find much about them on here about them and just want to get a general impression as I've been invited to something recently that involves them, and need to make a decision on whether to go by tomorrow.
Apologies if I've missed something on here, but if you know of things already on the internet links would be appreciated.

no1
Aug 3 2011 21:22

Aren't they the ones who the US allowed to stay in Iraq in the aftermath of the 2003 war, when lots of people were saying Iran would be next, and who they were trying to use for terrorist attacks in Iran? I could be confusing them with another group.

no1
Aug 3 2011 21:26

them ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People's_Mujahedin_of_Iran
http://www.economist.com/node/13447429?story_id=13447429

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Aug 4 2011 08:25

around 1980, they were very popular on the radical left in Europe, e.g. the German-language operaist review Autonomie produced an issue in 1981 exclusively with texts by and about the PMOI ... this changed, when the PMOI got into bed with Saddam Hussein in the mid-1980ies ... all other Iranian exiles regardless of political orientation hate the PMOI

a relatively decent article about them: http://www.wsws.org/articles/2000/sep2000/iran-s14.shtml

proletarian.
Aug 30 2011 01:42

This part sounds very interesting:

Quote:
In October 1975 the PMOI underwent an ideological split. While the remaining primary members of MEK were imprisoned, some of the original low-level members of MEK formed a new organization that followed Marxist, not Islamic, ideals; these members appropriated the MEK name to establish and enhance their own legitimacy.[28] This was expressed in a book entitled Manifesto on Ideological Issues, in which the central leadership declared "that after ten years of secret existence, four years of armed struggle, and two years of intense ideological rethinking, they had reached the conclusion that Marxism, not Islam, was the true revolutionary philosophy." Mujtaba Taleqani, son of Ayatallah Taleqani, was one of these converts to Marxism. Thus after May 1975 there were two rival Mujahedin, each with its own publication, its own organization, and its own activities.[29] A few months before the Iranian Revolution the majority of the Marxist Mujahedin renamed themselves "Peykar", on December 7, 1978 (16 Azar, 1357), the full name is: Organization of Struggle for the Emancipation of the Working Class.This name was after the "St. Petersburg League of Struggle for the Emancipation of the Working Class", which was a left wing group in St. Petersburg, Russia. It was founded by Lenin in the autumn of 1895.[30]

I have a funny feeling someone close to the current CPGB was part of the split. I may be wrong. I've downloaded the Pekar text In which direction is our society going? I find this kind of stuff quite intriguing, I must be really sad!

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Aug 30 2011 09:22

most of the people who write on Iranian issues in the Weekly Worker are from the Rahe Kargar current which originated from a split in the ("guevarist") People's Fedayin current during the late 1970ies criticising the PF's guerillaism

APairofDucks
May 10 2012 02:54

They're the group that splits its time between carrying out bombings for the Israeli Mossad and taking thousands of dollars from wealthy Zionist congressmen to talk about regime change in Iran (despite the fact that this would count as a "service" punishable under the material support statute of the PATRIOT Act according to a 2008 SCOTUS ruling).

No thanks.