DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Leftwing Israeli Band HaDag Nahash

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
australianirish...
Apr 30 2008 06:30
Leftwing Israeli Band HaDag Nahash

Hey.

Check out this leftwing Israeli band HaDag Nahash. They sing songs about peace for Jews and Arabs. Really nice lyrics and beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFTwx7Y9Rno

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
Apr 30 2008 07:29

I like them musically (and have their first 3 albums), but I don't think their politics are that great - aren't they left-zionists (ie Meretz supporters)?

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Apr 30 2008 08:51

I think their music is shit. I had the dubious pleasure of attending a free concert a few years ago and left as soon as I could overcome the peer pressure. Can't say much about their politics, I don't go for that kind of thing.

australianirish...
May 1 2008 04:17

Isn't it good to support 'Meretz'?
Isn't left-zionism a chance for peace in Israel/Palestine?
I would have thought support for the left in Israel is crucial for peace in the Middle East.
Thoughts?

Anarchia's picture
Anarchia
May 1 2008 04:46
Quote:

No.

Quote:

No.

I'll let ToJ or one of the other Israelis on here expand, seeing as I haven't been to Israel since 2004, and they live there, but I'd reccomend reading up on the anarchist view of electoral politics for starters.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
May 1 2008 11:18
australianirishcatholic wrote:

Good to whom? It does give you some credit in certain circles (left Zionists and some anti-Zionists, even), while reflecting poorly on you in others.

Considering how most if not all open Israeli wars, as well as the unofficial ones, were initiated by labor governments, while the first peace agreement was signed by a right-wing government, while the other agreements, who were signed by a labor government, either only officially confirmed a pre-existing oppressive alliance (Israel-Jordan) or were in fact terms of outsourced occupation (Israel-PLO), I think that it's highly unlikely.

I would have thought support for the left in Israel is crucial for peace in the Middle East.
Thoughts?

Uh, no. Support for the left in Israel is a great way to be turned off of revolutionary politics and to develop a scorching ethnic hatred of Arabs.

And all this is without considering the fact that Israel, like all nation-states, is controlled by the owners of capital through their minions in the various military and treasury bureaucracies, not by whoever happens to occupy certain parliamentary or government positions. I mean, it's not like there's anything wrong with supporting this or that football team (I know quite a few fanatics about this), but pretending that it has any actual political significance is kind of juvenile. Same goes for bourgeois political currents.

australianirish...
May 3 2008 06:06

Maybe we differ ideaologically here. But I have never been to Israel and do not speak Hebrew so I take your words seriosuly.

There seems to be some important elements of the left in Israel, particularly some of the writors for Haaretz and the various Jewish-Israeli discrimination organisations that focus on the hardships faced by Arab-Israelis and the situation in the Occupied Terrortories.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
May 3 2008 10:43

Regaling the reader with horrid tales of the plights of the less fortunate does not a revolutionary element make. Hell, even PM Olmert has spoken in public about the horrid conditions faced by Palestinians at check-points; has that changed Israeli policy by a whit? No.

Some people write about or discuss discrimination, oppression and persecution --- some even go to the lengths of attending the occasional righteous protest.; their souls thus cleansed, they may proceed to their normal affluent lives and petty office squabbles.