Independent unions in Israel?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
mpesa
Apr 27 2008 16:30
Independent unions in Israel?

I represent the International Solidarity Commission of the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW). One of our members is planning a trip to Israel/Palestine in May and June, where she plans to meet with various unions and workers centers. We have some good contacts in Palestine and they are hooking us up with some Arab workers centers in Israel. However, I have been having a hard time finding any inter-ethnic or predominantly Jewish labor unions in Israel that would be compatible with the IWW's principles. The main union federation, HISTRADUT, is very hierarchical and has a long history of aggressive nationalism and complicity with the Israeli government. Does anyone know of any anti-racist, militant independent labor unions or workers centers in Israel?

-Mike

juanramon.ballista
Apr 27 2008 17:00

twisted One of the most important problem that we face today is the Union question. Why? Because we still think we could achieved a different society within the social structure of capitalism, which is a limitation of the trade union movement. That is to say, in order to go above and beyond the capitalist mode of production one needs to break away from tradeunionism and create the organs of the new society: workers nucleis on an international level. That is the task we're trying to fulfill in the Caribbeen: preparing ourselves to conquer state power and destroy this capitalist society and its machinary known as the State. So creating a new Union in Israel won't do the revolutionary work needed to transform the rule of capital over there: You need a revolutionary organization.

Ballista

mpesa
Apr 27 2008 17:58

Ballista,

The IWW is a revolutionary labor union. We are anti-capitalist. I didn't use the words "revolutionary" or "anti-capitalist" in my original post because we recognize the need to be anti-sectarian when pursuing international alliances. We don't want to limit ourselves to groups that have exactly the same perspective as us, but we do have certain minimum standards, which is why I we wouldn't be interested in meeting with a group like HISTRADUT. Perhaps the word "union" is itself too loaded for a lot of people; we are just as interested in meeting with workers centers or any independent group made of, for, and by workers and concerned with changing conditions in the workplace. I'm not interested in having a debate about revolutionary methods on this thread. I am simply looking for contacts. Please stay on topic and let me know if you have any contacts. You can link to a new thread to debate the usefulness of unions if you want. Thanks!

-Mike

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Apr 29 2008 00:37

Well, one person you might want to get in touch with is someone who has been highly active in organizing security workers in Israel; he can be reached using an email I will send you in a PM.

As for actual extra-Histadrut labour organizations, you have Workers` Advice Center which is more active with Arab Israelis (and may well be a Stalinist front), Kav La'oved (Literally "Worker's Line") who are more of a charity and information clearinghouse, and some organization I've only recently heard of called Koah La'ovdim (Literally "Power to the Workers") who seem to be about encouraging (or recuperating) workers organizing in fresh locations. The way the describe their structure, it seems like thinly veiled democratic centralism, but I'm not sure. Eyal Rozenberg probably knows a lot more than I do, try to PM him as well.

Klaus Stoertebeker's picture
Klaus Stoertebeker
Jul 5 2012 13:52

http://www.globes.co.il/serveen/globes/docview.asp?did=1000762624&fid=1725

http://workers.org.il/english/

Check out the above ref recent developments and background info on alternative to Histadrut