Female sniper leads black blocish unit of Syrian rebels....

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Illyana
Mar 16 2013 23:23
Female sniper leads black blocish unit of Syrian rebels....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLykIdW6FVM

Um Jaffar is a sniper with Syria's opposition forces. She used to manage a beauty salon, but now she believes she must confront violence with violence.

plasmatelly's picture
plasmatelly
Mar 17 2013 11:14

What a load..

jonthom's picture
jonthom
Mar 17 2013 14:26

I don't understand; in what sense is this "black blocish"?

Illyana
Mar 17 2013 22:13

My first take is that AJ either hired some actors or that this is the local performance art group contributing their part to the struggle against Assad.

They all look a little bit too clean and well groomed to be plausible as people who are actually living in, much less fighting a urban war in, the post-apocalyptic wreckage the regime has made of Syrian cities. They did get the rifle right at least, as you would expect to see FN-FALs in Syria and it is a good gun for urban sniping.

Be it blatantly forged propaganda or actual reporting, what is really interesting here is the re-branding of the Jihad that is going on, and how the "uniforms" are clearly suggestive of the fashion sense of the Black Bloc. The Jihad is now young, hip and well groomed, led by a fashionable young woman, rather than old, dirty, and led by nasty looking men, which has been the public image up to this point.

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Mar 18 2013 08:53
Illyana wrote:
They did get the rifle right at least, as you would expect to see FN-FALs in Syria and it is a good gun for urban sniping.

Agree, it's my personal favourite.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Mar 18 2013 12:28

The black bloc is about more than just wearing black. You might as well call this lot black blocish:

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Apr 17 2013 08:23
iexist wrote:
Do you oppose the Syrian Revolution

who is the "you" here?

Either way, what is going on in Syria is not a revolution, it's a civil war between rival capitalist factions