Anarchism and communism in the Middle East (en)

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Citizen K's picture
Citizen K
Mar 16 2008 08:55
Anarchism and communism in the Middle East (en)

Hi all,

I'll be traveling in the Middle East this spring/summer (probably April and May) and I would like to catch up with some fellow libcommers, anarchists and communists and etc.

My general destinations are, in no particular order, Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Palestine. Maybe Egypt and Morocco if my cash holds out. I have a few comrades in Palestine to hook up with, but otherwise I'm pretty much clueless about meeting other anarchists/communists in the Arab world.

Can anyone help me out with some places to go and people to meet?

Thanks.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Mar 16 2008 15:01

Well, unless you plan on visiting the Zionist part of Palestine (AKA the Ever Victorious State of Israel), I don't think I can be of much help. Sorry. Have fun, though.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Mar 16 2008 17:49

I'm in Egypt, so contact me if you come here. I'm not Egyptian though, and anarchism here is a pretty unknown quantity here as well. I do know a Palestinian anarchist so PM me if you want his contact details. It is also well worth meeting up with the Israeli Anarchists against the Wall. There might be some anarchists in ISM at the time you're there as well. PM me if you want to meet up with either groups I can give you some contacts.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Mar 18 2008 12:21

I feel a bit dubious about this. We are very willing to meet people, but I don't want us to end up as a hostel service for Australian backpackers.

Which political organisation do you belong to?

Devrim

EKS (Turkey)

Citizen K's picture
Citizen K
Mar 18 2008 15:04

Wow, Devrim, your hospitality overwhelms me. Forget I asked.

I will probably be in the part of Palestine with the F-15s, so I will PM you guys closer to my arrival up there. Thanks!

AndrewF's picture
AndrewF
Mar 18 2008 15:32
Citizen K wrote:
Wow, Devrim, your hospitality overwhelms me. Forget I asked.

Actually Devrims quite right, Ireland is a popular destination and one gets feed up quite quickly with 'anarchist' back packers who are mostly just looking for somewhere to stay for free. After one particularly bad experience (and I've put up dozens of people) I decided in future to only put up those who were members of some organization back home whom I had some level of affinity for or who members of such organizations had vouched for.

Even more to the point if your traveling outside the 1st world where the cost of hospitality to you may be quite considerable to your hosts.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Mar 18 2008 18:25

Thank you Joe.

Devrim

anna x
Mar 18 2008 19:49
Devrim wrote:
I feel a bit dubious about this. We are very willing to meet people, but I don't want us to end up as a hostel service for Australian backpackers.

Devrim

EKS (Turkey)

Hey Dev
For what it's worth, I've known Citizen K for a good couple of years now and he's active in some of the longer running projects here - he just doesn't spend as much time on forums as some of us embarrassed . He's also involved in helping to get another group up and running with myself and a few others. No need to feel dubious at all; hopefully you'll just feel comradely wink
all the best.
gregg.

Khawaga's picture
Khawaga
Mar 19 2008 08:29
Quote:
I will probably be in the part of Palestine with the F-15s

Well most of the time they'll be on the Israeli side... but I understand your point. Nevertheless Israeli comrades always find it weird that activists that come often refuse to even explore "their" side of the green line so I would recommend hanging out at least a bit there. In any case you'll probably be in Jerusalem for a bit before going into the West Bank, and unless you're with the ISM it will be very difficult to find accommodation in the West Bank outside of the major towns and cities. However, Arabs are very hospitable so you should be able to find families to stay with, but please remember Joeblack's comment that

Quote:
traveling outside the 1st world (...) the cost of hospitality to you may be quite considerable to your hosts.
palestinian_ana...
Mar 28 2008 13:14

i am in jordan call me

admin: personal contact info removed.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Mar 28 2008 13:31

I would suggest that one of the admins remove this guy's phone number for his own good.
Devrim

palestinian_ana...
Mar 29 2008 11:52

why? what do u mean "for my own good"?

Deezer
Mar 29 2008 12:49

I think they are concerned that as your number would have been publicly available that any amount of nutcases could have ended up phoning you.

It would be much more secure if Citizen K pm'd you.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Mar 29 2008 12:56

Forget nutcases, how about the local secret service?

Citizen K's picture
Citizen K
Mar 29 2008 13:25

I love how I ask to meet some people and it gets interpreted as wanting to eat your food and sleep on your couch (and my first world ways being ignorant of expenses). That's the kind of attitude that keeps a movement swelling, lemme tell you.

Thanks for the pms, though. I'm really looking forward to catching up with some anarchists soon. smile

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Mar 29 2008 20:54
Citizen K wrote:
I love how I ask to meet some people and it gets interpreted as wanting to eat your food and sleep on your couch (and my first world ways being ignorant of expenses). That's the kind of attitude that keeps a movement swelling, lemme tell you.

Yeah, and who the hell are you? Please forgive me for not inviting you to my house immediately. Perhaps, I should put my phone number up, give you my full name, home address, and maybe even post a picture, then you can recognise me at the bus station. God, how inhospitable I am being.

Or maybe, just maybe, I should stop to think for a second that I am a member of an illegal organisation, of which I would be very surprised if any of the members didn't have at least one relative who had been imprisoned and tortured for political reasons.

So maybe, just maybe, we would be right in asking a few questions about people before they come to visit us.

Various people off Libcom have visited us, and can attest to our hospitality. Perhaps you should think that you are talking about going to the Middle East, not to Sydney for a rugby match. It is a politically dangerous place. For example two people were shot dead on demonstrations in this country this week. Did you read about it in the news? No, I don't think so. Do you want to know why? Because two people being murdered on a demonstration in Turkey isn't news. It is just something that happens.

I really couldn't care less about expenses, or sleeping on my couch (our organisation has an office with a sofa bed in anyway). I just don't invite people to come and visit us on the basis of having made two posts on an internet board.

If you can't understand why it is your problem.

Devrim

anna x
Apr 2 2008 06:45

Nice rant Devrim. The personal digs and cock waving aimed at someone who you know as little about as they do about you was a highlight to read roll eyes . Keep up the good work comrade.
all the best.
gregg.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Apr 2 2008 07:54

I think it is a fair response. Basically, I was accused of inhospitality and rudeness because I asked what organisation somebody was from. The only personal dig is that he might not realise what the situation in the Middle east is like, which I think is probably true from the way he approaches it. I don't think there is any 'cock waving', just a description of the way things are. If I had wanted to go on about personal credentials, I could have.

Devrim

Ed's picture
Ed
May 1 2008 12:11

Without wanting to sound like a hippy, I think this is all a big misunderstanding. Devrim's first post isn't that bad, a bit short, but nothing too rude:

Devrim wrote:

Devrim

EKS (Turkey)

That said, I can see how it might have been interpreted rudely by Citizen K, who doesn't know Devrim and also the internet has a way of making everything seem ruder (a bit like leaving post-its on your fridge, no matter how sweet you think they are, actually make you look like a massive wanker..). If this interaction had taken place face to face I think it would have been more clear that Devrim wasn't being rude, just asking a fair-enough question..

As it is, it escalated. And for the record, it was JoeBlack who - completely innocently - brought up cost of hospitality outside the 1st world, not Devrim. He literally just asked what organisation Citizen K was from. Anyway, just thought my outsiders view might be interesting, I found the whole bust up quite funny.. like when you can see an accident just waiting to happen.. smile

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
May 1 2008 12:37

Devrim’s not exactly being out of order here, okay gregg’s a reasonably regular poster to have vouch for you further down the thread, but having a bit of a mind for security is fair enough for someone in an illegal organisation (or even in a non-illegal one for that matter).