Work place organizing and...

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
lem
Nov 6 2007 15:37
Work place organizing and...

i dunno i guess not losing your job, "missing out" on careerism that sort of thing. serious question - what's the usual cost of being MILIT@NT? i'm not asking about the benefits or 'owt like that but the actual costs to an individual worker?

demotion to the factory floor? unemployment? self misery and suicide?

serious question asked flippantly, sorry.

thanks

lem

admin: libcommunity > organise

lem
Nov 6 2007 15:42

having to beat up fellow wokers sad ?
having to spend every bit of leisure time being rude to chuck O?
etc.?

Mike Harman
Nov 6 2007 16:07

Well I did as much as I could at my old job, although given the very low level of militancy there it never got that far in terms of a backlash - more on the level of people being called into meetings by HR and a bit of backstabbing - which happened anyway there most of the time. However I did end up getting six weeks holiday pay when I left that they owed me, but wouldn't have paid had I not kicked up a fuss (and hadn't paid to staff leaving in a similar situation for five years or more) so overall a big plus for me.

lem
Nov 6 2007 16:18

yeah sorry to sound thick but what do you mean by backstabbing?

what grounds do the HR meetings use to call you in?

i'd be interested in hearing about the other side of organzing from anyone

thanks

lem smile

eta oh yeah of course if you can't answer any of these questions then apologies.

the button's picture
the button
Nov 6 2007 16:29

I was an elected union rep for 6 years, during which time 4 or 5 attempts were made to fire me. (3 of them in one 18 month period). My favourite one was when I made my district manager drive off the road when he heard me being interviewed on the radio describing the JobSeekers Allowance as "the biggest attack on the working class since the Poll Tax" (I was working for the dole at the time). Happy days. smile

It did have something of an effect on me physically, though. There was a period of a couple of months when I was throwing up most mornings with the prospect of going into work and facing the same shit over & over again.

lem
Nov 6 2007 16:30

oh my fuck surprised

Mike Harman
Nov 6 2007 16:48

HR was incompetent so never really called me in, what they'd do instead is harrass my line manager when she walked past (she also had disputes with HR over staffing, and our relationship wasn't too bad, so she'd get more annoyed with them than me most of the time), and call other people in to try to isolate us from each other. I was usually harrassing the HR department rather than vice versa so they tried to avoid dealing with me directly smile.

In terms of backstabbing, our line-manager in one team meeting read out a load of comments various staff members (but clearly HR plus some backstabbers) had made about "the attitude of our team over the past couple of weeks", refusing to name them. This pissed people off even more rather than shut them up, but we didn't take that particular incident any further (could've launched a grievance for not following grievances procedures etc.).

lem
Nov 6 2007 16:51

oh it all sounds so complicated.

lem
Nov 6 2007 17:32
the button wrote:
There was a period of a couple of months when I was throwing up most mornings with the prospect of going into work and facing the same shit over & over again.

maybe i felt like that when i did a handful of tempwork when i was psychotic.

couldn't live like that. really. but i suppose you had your wicked black humour eh the button smile

the button's picture
the button
Nov 6 2007 18:19

That & being one of a team of union reps who backed each other up 100%, even though none of the others would have considered themselves remotely "political." Also, this was in a workplace (& maybe during a time, I dunno) when workers seemed far more willing to stick together. As I think I've posted before, it wasn't unheard of for people to walk out for the duration of one of their co-workers' disciplinary hearings.