Request content posting rights here

843 posts / 0 new
Last post
tu6k
Offline
Joined: 28-04-18
May 3 2018 20:02

Could you please give me posting permissions for the library?

tu6k
Offline
Joined: 28-04-18
May 3 2018 20:05

Could you please give me posting permissions for the library?

tu6k
Offline
Joined: 28-04-18
May 3 2018 20:10

My inquiry is a few days old now, and for some reason further replies seem to be caught by the spam-filter for no reason at all. Would somebody please give me the permissions for posting to the library? I would like to provide some additional texts to it.

rheoj
Offline
Joined: 11-05-18
May 11 2018 12:54

I translated a critique of marginalist microeconomics, and I'd like to add it to the library. Would you give me the permission to posting it?

Mike Harman
Offline
Joined: 7-02-06
May 11 2018 13:00
tu6k wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to post a epub of a Cyril Smith book. Could you give me posting rights?

Done! Sorry it took a while.

rheoj
Offline
Joined: 11-05-18
May 11 2018 13:32
Mike Harman wrote:
tu6k wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to post a epub of a Cyril Smith book. Could you give me posting rights?

Done! Sorry it took a while.

While you're at it, could you approve me too?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
May 11 2018 15:35

What's the substance or perspective of the critique?

If you want, you can email it to libcom.org@Gmail.com for us to review

rheoj
Offline
Joined: 11-05-18
May 11 2018 15:54
Steven. wrote:
What's the substance or perspective of the critique?

It's a critique tracing the logical errors that marginalism allows itself in its reasoning, and how its tautologies become increasingly crass in the development from the theories of Menger, Jevons and Walras up to later developments such as indifference curves.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Offline
Joined: 4-01-12
May 12 2018 03:38
Mike Harman wrote:
tu6k wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to post a epub of a Cyril Smith book. Could you give me posting rights?

Done! Sorry it took a while.

Err you know Cyril Smith was a member of the Workers Revolutionary Party and part of the splinter that kept going even after Healy's exposure as a serial rapist and the parties links to middle eastern dictatorships right?

tu6k
Offline
Joined: 28-04-18
May 15 2018 18:40
Reddebrek wrote:
Mike Harman wrote:
tu6k wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to post a epub of a Cyril Smith book. Could you give me posting rights?

Done! Sorry it took a while.

Err you know Cyril Smith was a member of the Workers Revolutionary Party and part of the splinter that kept going even after Healy's exposure as a serial rapist and the parties links to middle eastern dictatorships right?

Therefore, everything he has written must be disregarded. This kind of logic leads nowhere.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Offline
Joined: 4-01-12
May 15 2018 19:05

Didn't say that at all, but if you can't handle being reminded of the activities of the author then I guess whatever he wrote couldn't be very good.

For real thought the man was a life long member of a vanguardist party that abused its own membership in every way possible to do so and actively informed on middle eastern and north African exile communities for money, and continued to do so even after the people grassed up started being arrested and disappeared. What exactly is valuable to the emancipation of the working class from such a point of view?

tu6k
Offline
Joined: 28-04-18
May 15 2018 20:23
Quote:
Didn't say that at all,

Yet you imply it with everything you write here.

Quote:
but if you can't handle being reminded of the activities of the author then I guess whatever he wrote couldn't be very good.

If you want to judge the writings of an author, you do it by pointing out errors in their reasoning, and not by moralistic appeals against the person.

Quote:
For real though the man was a life long member

He was not.

Quote:
of a vanguardist party

So what?

Quote:
...that abused its own membership in every way possible to do so and actively informed on middle eastern and north African exile communities for money, and continued to do so even after the people grassed up started being arrested and disappeared. What exactly is valuable to the emancipation of the working class from such a point of view?

You're inferring a "point of view" of him that makes it clear that you have not read any of his books - which makes the use of the word "valuable" particularly revealing. If you did however indeed read his books, then this statement is even more embarrassing: Even if we assumed the counterfactual of him staying faithful to his past, which he outspokenly did not, then this still tells us nothing about the value of his work for communism. This can only be judged by its content, which can be significant for communism even in cases where it does not directly deal with it:

Marx to Ruge, Kreuznach, September 1843 wrote:
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form. The critic can therefore take up any form of theoretical and practical consciousness and from the forms peculiar to existing actuality develop the true actuality as its ought and its final purpose.

Besides, this kind of assumption about theories corresponding to certain "standpoints" already alludes to a belief in an incommensurability of subjectivity, and hence a doubt about human knowledge that cannot but be called reactionary. Whether a judgement is correct or not can be decided by thinking it through and assessing it from that, not by its supposed intentions or its point of view. A good idea doesn't care for who conceived of it.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Offline
Joined: 4-01-12
May 15 2018 21:20
tu6k wrote:

Yet you imply it with everything you write here.

With what I wrote here? Implying I didn't say it in what a wrote previously before you made your charge? So you gonna apologise for that then?

Quote:
If you want to judge the writings of an author, you do it by pointing out errors in their reasoning, and not by moralistic appeals against the person.

????? In a liberal arts class maybe but death of the author doesn't really work in the field of practical politics. Its called contextual analysis. Like for example we have an author advocating a revolution lead by a political party, in which case the behaviour of the party the author belonged to would be rather important.

Quote:
He was not.

Err yes he was, he remained in the rump of WRP and the Newsline group until it split to the point the remainder became known as Movement for Socialism. His membership of the WRP outlasted Healy.

Quote:
So what?

Oh, so I'm right in that his position didn't change all that much since Healy got the boot then? If you honestly don't know why this is an issue then you're just proving my point for me that Smith's work doesn't belong here.

Quote:
You're inferring a "point of view" of him that makes it clear that you have not read any of his books - which makes the use of the word "valuable" particularly revealing. If you did however indeed read his books, then this statement is even more embarrassing: Even if we assumed the counterfactual of him staying faithful to his past, which he outspokenly did not, then this still tells us nothing about the value of his work for communism. This can only be judged by its content, which can be significant for communism even in cases where it does not directly deal with it:

You've not even bothered saying what book you really want to add to the library. Is this a joke? You just had a go at me for moralising about assault, rape and murder, but now you're doing it here about reading habits. But you haven't even bothered saying what books your talking about. We can't be talking about the man in totality because that includes his time in the original WRP and you absolutely hate me bringing that up.

Marx to Ruge, Kreuznach, September 1843 wrote:
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form. The critic can therefore take up any form of theoretical and practical consciousness and from the forms peculiar to existing actuality develop the true actuality as its ought and its final purpose.

You know Marx was a big believer in criticising people for their actions and not just the stuff they wrote in a vacuum right? The Eighteenth Brumaire wasn't a collection of Napoleon III speeches with critical annotations. Also in his many criticisms of classical economists he would take their concepts and then look at the economic reality to see if it matched up, and in his view it usually didn't.

Honestly you couldn't have picked a worse person to make an appeal to authority fallacy on this point. Civil War in France, Class Struggles in France, Revolution and Counter revolution in Germany etc.

Quote:
Besides, this kind of assumption about theories corresponding to certain "standpoints" already alludes to a belief in an incommensurability of subjectivity, and hence a doubt about human knowledge that cannot but be called reactionary. Whether a judgement is correct or not can be decided by thinking it through and assessing it from that, not by its supposed intentions or its point of view. A good idea doesn't care for who conceived of it.

This is not a rebuttal or an answer to my question, its just an attempt to moralise and look clever.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
May 16 2018 22:31

This thread is for people to request posting permissions only. Any further off topic comments will be deleted

leninist
Offline
Joined: 21-05-18
May 21 2018 03:24

I would like to post some books and pamphlets in Library! (About Communist movement, in Farsi).

wolf's picture
wolf
Offline
Joined: 1-06-16
May 27 2018 00:33

hi i'd like to ask a question about a crimethinc piece
also have reading material i could share

polooz
Offline
Joined: 1-06-18
Jun 1 2018 11:19

Hi, I would like to post an article about rss plan against pandit and muslim community

polooz
Offline
Joined: 1-06-18
Jun 1 2018 11:46

please let me know when can i get permission ????

barimanid
Offline
Joined: 1-06-18
Jun 1 2018 12:49

Hi, I would like to post a news article about a strike against price hike

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jun 1 2018 13:54
wolf wrote:
hi i'd like to ask a question about a crimethinc piece
also have reading material i could share

you don't need any permissions to ask questions.

What sort of reading material is it you have?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jun 1 2018 13:54
polooz wrote:
Hi, I would like to post an article about rss plan against pandit and muslim community

can we have someone information? Like what is "rss", and what is your political perspective?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jun 1 2018 13:55
barimanid wrote:
Hi, I would like to post a news article about a strike against price hike

Thanks for your comment. Could you give us a bit more information, like is there a link to a news story about this already somewhere, or what group of workers was involved?

R Totale's picture
R Totale
Offline
Joined: 15-02-18
Jun 4 2018 10:25

I'm angry about the garbage piece the LRB published about Grenfell Tower, I'm guessing a blog would be the appropriate place to comment on it? If so, can I have a blog?

crapula2010
Offline
Joined: 13-05-16
Jun 6 2018 07:42

Hi, I would like posting rights. So that I can post stories from the Manchester Solfed local. The first post will be about a recent action in Altrincham: http://www.solfed.org.uk/manchester/fortis-student-lettings-neglects-tenants

crapula2010
Offline
Joined: 13-05-16
Jun 6 2018 19:31

Please give me posting rights so I can post a news story from Manchester Solfed about a housing dispute.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jun 7 2018 03:49

Approved

thikoril's picture
thikoril
Offline
Joined: 10-06-18
Jun 11 2018 00:37

Hello, I would like posting rights so that I could post a French translation of this text from endnotes.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jun 12 2018 17:29
thikoril wrote:
Hello, I would like posting rights so that I could post a French translation of this text from endnotes.

granted!

Red Mermaid
Offline
Joined: 3-07-18
Jul 3 2018 22:05

Hi. I'm requesting the right to post. I already tried to post on the forum but was flagged as spam, but it's not! I swears it. smile

Can admin please check the post I tried to make and approve it? You'll see it's not spam.

Mike Harman
Offline
Joined: 7-02-06
Jul 3 2018 22:56

I can't see the post you made - could you paste the text here and we should be able to copy it into a new forum post?