Funniest thing you read today

1253 posts / 0 new
Last post
Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 1 2015 10:12

I sure you're right mate. Liberalism is definitely getting worse though. It's a runaway train.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
May 2 2015 20:40

Published in WSM's Irish Anarchist Review, this review of Murray Bookchin's The Next Revolution is written by someone that should be familiar to those on this forum. Can you guess who?

Here's some extracts:

Disliked by class struggle anarchists and Marxists for his advocacy of community organising over workplace organising, and by anarchists involved in single ­issue activism for their lack of organisation and supposed concern with personal rebellion over social change, he made quite a few enemies in his last days for fiery polemics directed at his intellectual opponents.
From his own descriptions, Communalism could be viewed as a revamped version of anarcho­-communism ­ in that it seeks a community­ directed economy instead of the worker­ directed economy desired by most anarcho-­syndicalists.
He stresses the importance of reason, Enlightenment humanism, direct democracy, and the ecological worldview, while attacking the traditional left’s excessive focus on class and economic issues, pointing out the need to appeal to people simply as “the people”, instead of “workers”, which he finds reduces them to their economic function and discounts the significance of trans­-class power hierarchies that cannot be reduced economics.
Looking at the collection a a whole, Bookchin perhaps under emphasised the role of class and workplace organising in social struggle, but no more so than Marxists and class struggle anarchists have overemphasised it, often relegating issues like race, gender, sexuality, and ecology to secondary importance; issues that can be sorted out "after the revolution".

While I may not agree with much of what that poster writes, at least he's keeping busy pushing that libertarian municipalist doctrine.

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
May 2 2015 22:36

embarrassing campaign video by a rightwing state assembly member for the next state assembly elections in Burgenland/Austria:

fidel gastro
May 3 2015 09:15

Saw this recently and it really made me laugh. Am really appreciating Matt Berry lately. He is also in a comedy called Toast of London which I've been enjoying Matt Berry- Wild Love

This made me laugh the other day too, more Matt Berry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqDbb7-dn9A....

fidel gastro
May 3 2015 09:56

.... I found this really funny aswell. It's not exactly new but it's hilarious. Piers Morgan 'debating' with Alex Jones. Gets funnier and more bizarre the longer you watch it. And theres also this- Alex Jones-Funniest Moments

the button's picture
the button
May 3 2015 10:45

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/03/ed-miliband-sets-promise...

wojtek
May 4 2015 00:55

When your romanian workmate asks whether you've heard of adrian mutu lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy9mgzxoWgg
Anyone see Gheorghe Hagi back in the day? I've been told he was pretty good.

wojtek
May 4 2015 02:07

OMG toast of london was SO funny! i HATE clem fandango! tongue
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02mwfcg/matt-berry-does-1-the-boat...

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 4 2015 09:47

"If those fucking pinko-commie mallards get mobilised again..."

You know, I saw this Matt Berry character in a pub once. Total wanker. He was dressed all in white with like some absurd some sort of crazy Russian Cossack hat. He had a woman on either side of him, drinking some pretentious cocktail and generally being a tosser.

Sorry bout that.

I also got into a beef with Alfie Allen from Game of Thrones at a pub a little while back - although I thought he was just some coked-up frat boy at the time.

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
May 4 2015 10:09

Chilli, this opens new vista on your drinking venues.
On several occasions I tried to sell Billy Connolly a 'Libertarian Struggle' in the Old Scotia bar and he gave me a look as if I was something the cat had brought in. He added insult to injury when I learned some years later that the only anarchists he claimed to have ever met - were students. Big ijit.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 4 2015 10:20

You know, after I posted that I realized it makes it sound like I drink in far more fashionable establishments than I actually do! In both those cases, I'd been brought out with some far more respectable friends of mine. Trust me, the high point of standard night out for me is the dive bar and any night that doesn't end up with Strong Brew under the tunnel is a success.

fidel gastro
May 4 2015 11:16

Georghe Hagi was awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT3lQYJc3Bw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mTnWfbXk28

fidel gastro
May 4 2015 10:56

I remember Hristo Stoichkov being an awesome player aswell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsC6gsKSPWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSMQsDSbm78

fidel gastro
May 4 2015 11:15

More Hagi https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTomKJV54W8

fidel gastro
May 6 2015 09:58

How am I doin today Gary Busey?

petey
May 7 2015 17:08

http://www.theonion.com/article/little-league-pitcher-just-getting-fucki...

Tyrion's picture
Tyrion
May 7 2015 23:43

Very enjoyable back and forth between Noam Chomsky and warmongering New Atheist douchebag Sam Harris. Despite the many shortcomings of his politics, Chomsky roundly smashes Harris' arguments at every turn and doesn't bother to put on any act of having the least bit of respect for Harris, who keeps feebly trying to turn it into some great intellectual debate between great public intellectuals who greatly respect each other's intellect. Good stuff.

Fleur
May 8 2015 00:40

Tyrion wrote:

Quote:
Very enjoyable back and forth between Noam Chomsky and warmongering New Atheist douchebag Sam Harris. Despite the many shortcomings of his politics, Chomsky roundly smashes Harris' arguments at every turn and doesn't bother to put on any act of having the least bit of respect for Harris, who keeps feebly trying to turn it into some great intellectual debate between great public intellectuals who greatly respect each other's intellect. Good stuff.

The most amazing thing about it is that Harris decided to publish the exchange, totally oblivious it seems to the fact that it makes Harris look like a complete and total fucking idiot.

arminius's picture
arminius
May 9 2015 22:01

On so many levels...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/06/perry-to-texas-stop-bei...

Perry to Texas: Stop Being Insane
Are the Jade Helm exercises just cover for a U.S. military invasion of the Lone Star state? Gov. Abbott is taking no chances. Rand and Cruz aren’t sure. Only Rick Perry is calling BS.

An Infowars conspiracy theory about military takeover of the American Southwest might become a surprising wedge issue among Texas’s Republican presidential candidates.

The Daily Beast detailed last week how the Jade Helm 15 military training exercises—wherein U.S. Special Operations forces will move throughout the Southwest preparing for atypical warfare conditions—have set off such a noisy panic that Texas’s governor has ordered the state’s military to keep an eye on things.

Concerns about those training exercises have been fueled by Alex Jones’s goofball site Infowars, which soberly suggested that this might be the beginning of a military war on the Tea Party. That is not a thing that is happening. Still, Gov. Greg Abbott of Texas stated he was directing the Lone Star state’s military to tail U.S. troops in part “to ensure that Texas communities remain safe.” Abbott’s move generated much levity, with one Texas Democrat consultant suggesting that the governor’s next area of concern might be abominable snowmen.

When I was reporting out that story, I reached out to a number of presidential contenders’ camps for comment and got radio silence. Most of the candidates’ spokespeople didn’t even bother to reply to my email, and understandably—who wants to go on the record awkwardly not commenting about a wacky conspiracy theory that has a small but vocal sector of the Republican base buying hollow-tip ammo and investing in survival food?

But a few of those presidential contenders have spoken about the issue to other media outlets, and their answers are quite telling. On April 21, conservative Iowa talk radio host Jan Mickelson asked Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul if he knew what the deal with Jade Helm was.

“You know I’ve gotten a few questions about it on the road and I really don’t—” Paul replied, per Talking Points Memo’s transcript. “I’m not sure about exactly what is going on with that.”

“It’s making some people nervous, but it doesn’t take much to make people nervous nowadays,” Mickelson replied. “If you get a chance to, I’d like to know what the rest of the story is on that.”

“We’ll look at that also,” the Kentucky senator replied.

Never fear, citizens of the Southwest: Rand Paul is going to make sure the military doesn’t take over your Whataburgers.

Not to be outdone, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz told Bloomberg at the South Carolina Republican convention that he’d had his office reach out to the Pentagon to make sure everything is OK.

“We are assured it is a military training exercise,” he said. “I have no reason to doubt those assurances, but I understand the reason for concern and uncertainty, because when the federal government has not demonstrated itself to be trustworthy in this administration, the natural consequence is that many citizens don’t trust what it is saying.”

Former Texas governor Rick Perry drew the sharpest contrast with Abbott’s Infowars pandering.

“It’s OK to question your government. I do it on a regular basis,” he said on May 5, per the Dallas Morning News. “But the military is something else. Our military is quite trustworthy. The civilian leadership, you can always question that, but not the men and women in uniform.”

Questioning men and women in uniform is exactly what Abbott did, and exactly what Cruz and Paul endorsed. Now, thanks to Infowars and unfounded anxieties, we have an early way of differentiating between some of the most conservative—and, in Perry’s case, potential—presidential candidates. Buckle up, guys. 2016 is going to be nuts.

Soapy's picture
Soapy
May 10 2015 15:24
Tyrion wrote:

Good to see Chomsky still kicking it in his old age

vicent
May 10 2015 16:02

And he remarried last year, he's still got it

laurawhite's picture
laurawhite
May 11 2015 10:02

I am reading to the celebrity articles and it's really funny.

Soapy's picture
Soapy
May 11 2015 15:03

Edit: o this is funniest thing read nvm

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
May 12 2015 09:14

fidel gastro
May 13 2015 09:22

https://newsthump.com/2015/05/12/nigel-farage-takes-job-back-to-prevent-...

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
May 13 2015 11:08
Entdinglichung wrote:

That's now my new screensaver at work grin

Soapy's picture
Soapy
May 13 2015 13:44

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
May 22 2015 10:09

ocelot's picture
ocelot
May 26 2015 10:42

Hurriyet: Masturbating men ‘will find their hands pregnant in the afterlife,’ says Muslim televangelist

Quote:
After claiming that a man would meet his masturbating hand “pregnant in the afterlife” and “asking for its rights,” a Muslim televangelist has set Turkish social media aflame.[...]

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
May 26 2015 10:47

I should try that