20 posts / 0 new
Last post
wojtek
Oct 23 2012 23:59
The dignity of labour

Railyon's picture
Railyon
Oct 24 2012 06:23

Oh look Germany also got a 'pension crisis' going. But our media are like, suck it up you lazy fucks.

Another example: local newspaper says alcohol dependency is a big problem in our federal state. Actual problem for them: costs the employers too much.

German media must be the most reactionary thing ever since US republicans.

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Oct 24 2012 08:23

I must be really out of step with the real world thinking that was a spoof headline.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 24 2012 08:28

BBC coverage if anyone missed the story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20044862

Basically, the proposal is to turn retirement into workfare sad

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 24 2012 08:31

Mind you, i appreciate the capitalist realism of the Express headline 'retirement now impossible', just like that.

omen
Oct 24 2012 09:53

Full Fact have picked apart this story here. It was generated by the PR department of a pension company in order to whip up some FUD and sell some private pensions, and made at least one front page as the OP shows. There are some problems with the statistics too, as the Full Fact article explains.

Not that workers aren't fucked, mind. The story Joseph Kay links to is more worrying though...

ETA: The BBC and Daily Express articles aren't the same story.

ETA2: Fixed broken link.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Oct 24 2012 09:50

Ah shit, I saw the headline and assumed it was the same thing. It's hard to keep track of all the shit these days.

omen
Oct 24 2012 09:54

The Express Story in full.

Aflwydd
Oct 24 2012 21:31
Joseph Kay wrote:
BBC coverage if anyone missed the story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20044862

Basically, the proposal is to turn retirement into workfare :(

I like the implication that retirees do nothing in their spare time, even though in my experience a lot of kids, including family members, were pretty much brought up by their grandparents due to the work commitments of the parents.

It's nice to know that even daring to enjoy your later years is going to become another privilege only available to the richer members of our society. Tragic.

snipfool
Oct 24 2012 22:19
Aflwydd wrote:
I like the implication that retirees do nothing in their spare time, even though in my experience a lot of kids, including family members, were pretty much brought up by their grandparents due to the work commitments of the parents.

Kind of ironic that today also brought news of a study showing that the evolution of our long lifespans and large brains was due to grandmothers caring for their grandchildren...

Tim Finnegan's picture
Tim Finnegan
Oct 25 2012 14:41
Quote:
Prof James Sefton, of Imperial College, London, a former adviser to the Treasury, told the committee young people were effectively subsidising the older generation - and he could not understand why they were not protesting about it.

Because most us aren't total bastards like he is?

freemind
Oct 27 2012 09:19

Professor James Sefton should go the same way as the horse namesake,the reactionary scum twisted

wojtek
Nov 6 2012 16:19
Quote:
snipfool wrote:
Kind of ironic that today also brought news of a study showing that the evolution of our long lifespans and large brains was due to grandmothers caring for their grandchildren...

Out of interest do you have a link to that particular study?

In the Future, We’ll All Be Working on the Road

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Nov 6 2012 16:30

Only if we get to dress like this.

snipfool
Nov 6 2012 16:47
wojtek wrote:
Quote:
snipfool wrote:

Out of interest do you have a link to that particular study?

Couldn't remember where I first saw it, just did a quick google for news write ups: Telegraph, Daily Mail.

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Nov 6 2012 21:39

Careers are dead, welcome to your low-wage, temp work future

Tobes
Nov 7 2012 21:09

Know where you are coming from and hate the feeling of being used by the ‘temp’ imposed ethos of flexible working. I don’t know the way out.

I took a change of direction into social/health care of elderly individuals needing a little bit of help – to wash – to dress – to relieve the tedium?

Wages still rubbish - society turning a blind eye – politicians paying lip service. But, at least felt I was being a little bit useful? It helps, sometimes …

Stan Milgram
Nov 8 2012 23:27
flaneur wrote:
I must be really out of step with the real world thinking that was a spoof headline.

Scientology makes new recruits to their work force sign contracts to work for Scientology for a billion years. Maybe they're in control of austerity now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Org#Billion-year_contract

Stan Milgram
Nov 8 2012 23:30
flaneur wrote:
Only if we get to dress like this.

Lord Humungus IS ANARCHY

I are to make own mean of production with fist.

wojtek
Dec 18 2012 17:51

Many in Spain clinging to jobs without pay

Quote:
VALENCIA, Spain — Over two years, Ana Maria Molina Cuevas, 36, has worked five shifts a week in a ceramics ­factory, hand-rolling paint onto tiles. But at the end of the month, she often went unpaid.

Still, she kept showing up. If she quit, she reasoned, she might never get her money. And besides, where was she going to find another job? Last month, she was down to about $130, with a mortgage payment due.

‘‘On the days you get paid,’’ she said at home with her disabled husband and young daughter, ‘‘it is like the sun has risen three times. It is a day of joy.’’

Molina, who is owed about $13,000 by the factory, is hardly alone. Being paid for the work you do is no longer something that can be counted on in Spain, as the country struggles through its fourth year of economic crisis. With regional and municipal governments deeply in debt, even workers like bus drivers and health care attendants are not always paid...

Japan's suicide salarymen are dying for work

Topic locked