'Just ignore them....'

The argument held by many that the far right cranks are so fragmented, loopy, out of touch, out of date, moronic and small in number, not to mention the fact that we live in such a heavily multi-racial society where people tend to have more than two brain cells to rub together, that the far right are in effect hopeless and impotent and as a result dont need to be physically challenged or considered a threat.

This argument is obviously one profered by people who arent savy to the ideas of the class struggle and consider fascism to be something that is the preserve of a few intellectually challenged lunatics and will only ever remain on the fringes of society and politics. Of course if you see fascism as something that goes beyond fascists and as a phenomena that is essentially dormant within the state, a method of enforcing a social order if the need be then the need to confront fascism becomes more pertinent.

What would you say to people who see the likes of the BNP et al as being so inneffective that they neednt be challenged at all? Is it important that it is linked to the wider class struggle? History seems to tell us that if theres ever going to be any radical social upheaval then we will all have to confront and conquer some form of fascist counter attack.

Posted By

Vaneigemappreci...
Feb 4 2006 20:59

Attached files

Comments

cmdrdeathguts
Feb 4 2006 21:21

what makes you so sure that the counterrevolution will be led by the likes of the BNP? times have changed, and a fascist response to a revolution i have a feeling would arise from other quarters than the 'traditional' far right, simply because by and large, nobody buys it anymore.

quite apart from anything else, western democracies have been concentrating power at a rate of knots in the past few years - i'm beginning to wonder whether they'd even need a sudden totalitarian lurch.

Vaneigemappreci...
Feb 4 2006 21:31
Quote:
quite apart from anything else, western democracies have been concentrating power at a rate of knots in the past few years - i'm beginning to wonder whether they'd even need a sudden totalitarian lurch.

very interesting point mate, obviously i dont think the BNP would lead a reaction but rather that the state would adopt fascist methods.

Surely if the working classes started to take over the means of production, education, health treatment, society etc then the state would respond with all its force, it would use the military to take back factories and farm land etc. Perhaps certain things would be different than they would 70 years ago, i dont suppose the state would invoke the church nor would i expect them to try and divide the workers along lines of race or religion.

What would be he response of the state and can we describe it as fascist? Is fascism just a more viscous and disciplined enforecment of an existing social order or must it be racist in content and be of a dictatorial nature? How would property owners defend their privilege if not through a system of dictatorship and oppression?

Lazy Riser
Feb 5 2006 09:42

Hi

Quote:
What would you say to people who see the likes of the BNP et al as being so inneffective that they neednt be challenged at all?

Depends what’s in it for me. I can’t think of anyone who proffers that notion who I’d get a chance to speak to. Even then I’m not sure I would gain anything from challenging them.

Some ostensibly anti-fascist journalism does promote an outlook of fear and anxiety regarding the far right. It sells advertising, middle class politics, the liberal media’s own brand of sensationalism and the BNP’s effectiveness all in one go.

The far right, the BNP included, exist only for as long as working class existence remains a struggle to make ends meet under a system of forced labour. A situation that is exacerbated by the BNP’s most histrionic detractors. When alleviating the influence of the far right, we must take care to ensure the bourgeoisie are as undermined as their unwitting allies in the BNP.

Love

LR