how big are japanese riot police?

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tacks's picture
Tacks
Oct 29 2007 20:35
how big are japanese riot police?

does anyone know the hight restrictions for the riot police in japan?

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Oct 29 2007 20:37

oh beautiful.

that's meant to say 'height'.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Oct 29 2007 21:09

what is with you and cryptic insults today?

I genuinely want to know the answer to this question. Is that ok with you Guy?

sphinx
Nov 7 2007 15:34

Around 5'8'' or so, or that seems to be the average. But I've only seen them up close in not-fully deployed situations.

Did you go as one for halloween?

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 8 2007 13:05

It occurred to me they were significantly shorter than ours; i had this beautiful image of european anarcho elves bowling away line after line of them at the G8.

Yes, i had been watching lord of the rings.

Rob Ray's picture
Rob Ray
Nov 8 2007 22:51
Quote:
they wee significantly shorter than ours

eek

ftony
Nov 22 2007 16:18

what the fuck is this thread?

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 22 2007 16:23

The future.

sphinx
Nov 27 2007 14:34

Prepare to get fingerprinted and photographed when you come over for the g8.

BTW, you probably shouldn't bother.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 27 2007 14:54

are you based in japan mate?

sphinx
Nov 28 2007 13:29

Yes, Osaka.

It really is true though, the government has recently introduced mandatory fingerprinting and photographing for foreign visitors. This is timed well for all the g8 'visitors'.

And I do think the g8 will be a total fiasco. I think everyone that is coming over that considers themselves a class struggle anarchist or communist would do much better organizing a speaking tour around the country (instead of fucking Hokkaido) about involvement in local struggles (wage, dole struggles, housing struggles, ANYTHING). This would breathe a lot more fire into the real movement here in Japan than having a mini-riot up north. Hell I officially volunteer to interpret if there are any takers for this.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 28 2007 13:37
sphinx wrote:
Yes, Osaka.

It really is true though, the government has recently introduced mandatory fingerprinting and photographing for foreign visitors. This is timed well for all the g8 'visitors'.

And I do think the g8 will be a total fiasco. I think everyone that is coming over that considers themselves a class struggle anarchist or communist would do much better organizing a speaking tour around the country (instead of fucking Hokkaido) about involvement in local struggles (wage, dole struggles, housing struggles, ANYTHING). This would breathe a lot more fire into the real movement here in Japan than having a mini-riot up north. Hell I officially volunteer to interpret if there are any takers for this.

well you aren't going to get the former, so i'd prepare for the latter.

I take you up on your offer of being a countrywide guide. I'll talk on anything as long as we can stop to:
go to a Morning Matsume concert
train in a ninja ryu til we can do chi blasts
visit the spot where akira smacked that dude with a hammer
ride about in an EVA
write haiku about sakura
say desu a lot
eat a fish whilst it is still alive at one end
enjoy a traditional tea ceremony
go to a photo boothe and do peace signs in every picture whilst giggling hysterically.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 28 2007 13:44

Why do you think the G8 will be any more of a fiasco than other meetings?

Russia was fucking awful, i wouldn't call it a fiasco, just that no one went and loads of people were statenapped. They were completely limited on what they could do by law, and there weren't enough people willing to challenge that (unsurprisingly, it being the FSB).

Scotland as quite a fiasco i spose as loads of people were diverted by the super super useles Make poverty History roadshow.

sphinx
Nov 28 2007 14:01

I don't need to prepare for anything because I won't be participating.
I'm actually pretty serious about helping anyone out who wants to talk about local struggles in Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto. Holler at me on PM if anyone's interested.

Why will the g8 be a fiasco here? Do you know anything about the Japanese left? Like for example the fact that it kind of doesn't exist? The amount of people on the ground that will show up to this thing I would not imagine to exceed 3000 people (including visitors), considering that when George Bush (human incarnation of evil) visited a year and a half ago, 600 people mobilized (IIRC) in Kyoto. Perhaps Tokyo is having huge demos recently, but I am not aware of them. Add to that the fact that it's all the way in Hokkaido and I think you will only get the most dedicated of the activist class up there. The police will be weaker than both Russia and Scotland, but the Japanese groups on the ground will probably not allow anyone to get real combative. But perhaps I will be proved wrong.

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 28 2007 14:17

interesting stuff Sphinx, and i was aware there wasn't really a left in japan, but whenever i find out more about a country i always find huge movements or groups i had no knowledge of that are still promising.

And wtf, 'no left' is not a bad thing. Its almost as if you think the most inspiring G8 riots only happened with the say so of the local labour party? "the Japanese groups on the ground will probably not allow anyone to get real combative" - this has never been the main issue as to whether things get combative, its if enough of the right people turn up.

You are correct in suggesting the bigger the nonconfrontational left at a summit, the bigger the wrecking contingent; it just reflects a bigger turnout in general.

(as the casual reader may have noticed, yes i do think G8 rucks are a good thing as long as you don't waste years on them)

What about neighbouring countries? Will the South Korean labour movement take the opportunity?

sphinx
Nov 29 2007 14:25

Do you really think I'm referring to social democrats when I talk about the left?

The left is short-hand for any grouping that flirts with a critique of capitalism and the state. The disappearance and total isolation of all left perspectives since the 1970s has coincided with the burial of worker militancy and surging nationalism. Not a good tendency.

I am not an advocate of summit rucks and think they're a total waste of energy, but you are welcome to give it your best.

Actually you're right that the South Koreans will probably show up. Raise attendance by 1000 or so?

Tacks's picture
Tacks
Nov 29 2007 14:36

they will i believe, fuck shit up.

PS - yes i included the left you mean within that, but i also included 'the left' that organise summit protests in it too: debt droppers, ecoological charities, charities, social democrats etc.

If a social democratic party is out of power it will protest at the G8 - like the french SP did.