DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Israeli Teachers' Strike entering its 30th day..

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Nov 13 2007 20:56
Israeli Teachers' Strike entering its 30th day..

The High School Teacher's Organization, a union independent of the Histadrut, has entered its 30th day of strike. Histadrut teachers have set up a strike fund for them, and a bunch of them wish to join the strike, including elementary school teachers. More interestingly, a bunch of banks owning teachers` loans and mortgages have proposed to allow strikers more slack, delaying payments, etc., and many municipal councils have guaranteed full pay for striking teachers even if the Ministry of Education doesn't..

A bunch of unsorted news sources here:
http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/6982
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1192380800239&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1192380768149&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/922377.html

Mike Harman
Nov 15 2007 14:41

Thanks ToJ - how many teachers roughly involved?

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Nov 16 2007 20:35

It's hard for me to find exact figures.. the organization's website cites around 41 thousand members, though teachers who work at a majority-Histadrut workplace are allowed by the union to keep working, as I was told by a member who filled in at my store as his second job (or third or more job? He also did private tutoring, and such things..)

Doreen Ellen Be...
Nov 18 2007 07:02

You care about a teacher's strike???

Just whose side are you on?

Ever hear Pat Benetar's song, "Hell is for Children"?

It must have been written about how Israeli children are treated by the fascist regime's first line of soldiers - the teachers.

It is the teachers that break children of their spirit, teach the childrean "how to behave", punish and ridicule the children who won't, or can't behave, and teach them nationalism and to hate.

You can't get a teacher's job if you don't follow those guidelines. If, perchance, they make a mistake and hire a teacher who is a human being, that person is fired toute suite - as was my husband from teaching in high school.

He was fired because he encouraged the kids to think and didn't dictate. He didn't punish and he used to conduct classes outside on the grass when the weather was good. Can't have teachers like that in THE SYSTEM. He was, despite the fact that he is an expert in his field who could teach grad students at university, fired after his first school year.

Do you support Social Worker's strikes too?

Or, have you figured out that they are the low-paid agents of the regime whose job it is to keep the people who were crushed in the school system when they were kids down, out and miserable?

D2

j.rogue
Nov 18 2007 07:28

Wasn't there already a thread about teachers? Perhaps someone less lazy will drag it up for reference.

j.rogue
Nov 18 2007 08:14
revol68 wrote:
Doreen Ellen Bell-Dotan wrote:
You care about a teacher's strike???

Just whose side are you on?

Ever hear Pat Benetar's song, "Hell is for Children"?

It must have been written about how Israeli children are treated by the fascist regime's first line of soldiers - the teachers.

It is the teachers that break children of their spirit, teach the childrean "how to behave", punish and ridicule the children who won't, or can't behave, and teach them nationalism and to hate.

You can't get a teacher's job if you don't follow those guidelines. If, perchance, they make a mistake and hire a teacher who is a human being, that person is fired toute suite - as was my husband from teaching in high school.

He was fired because he encouraged the kids to think and didn't dictate. He didn't punish and he used to conduct classes outside on the grass when the weather was good. Can't have teachers like that in THE SYSTEM. He was, despite the fact that he is an expert in his field who could teach grad students at university, fired after his first school year.

Sounds like your husband was very fond of the children and opened them up to alot of new experiances until the system stepped in, it's always such a shame when that happens. Maybe we should be looking towards providing Temporary Autononmise Zones for children, yeah?

Hahahaha

Doreen Ellen Be...
Nov 18 2007 08:24
Quote:
Sounds like your husband was very fond of the children and opened them up to alot of new experiances until the system stepped in, it's always such a shame when that happens.

Yes, when we were on Kibbutz he was the only man who worked in the children's houses. The little ones (they were nursery school - kindergarten-aged) themselves and the women who worked with him thought he was great with the kids, and he was happy in his work and fulfilled. But then the sadran (the elected representative on Kibbutz who makes up the work list for a given tenure) put pressure on him to do "man's work". He liked working in the fields, and did it alot, but he really loved working with the children. One of his happiest times on Kibbutz was when he worked in the regional High School library. Kibbutzim typically build one High School for about three very big kibbutzim or a few medium-sized and small ones. It's called a regional High School. My husband worked in the library of one of them for years. During that time he also helped the students prepare for their college entrance exams. He also worked as a madrikh (a person who works with the labor youth movement ) for the Kibbutz Movement. I could tell by the way the youngsters related to him that they loved him and held him in very high esteem. Likewise, the teachers on Kibbutz found him affable and worthy of respect for his work.

So, his ability working with youngsters was tried and true.

The High School he worked in after we left Kibbutz, a state-run school, had no cause to fire him - other than the fact that he was too "democratic" with the students and didn't see his job as whipping them into shape for the army.

Quote:
Maybe we should be looking towards providing Temporary Autononmise Zones for children, yeah?

LOL. Great idea! How about we establish Permanent Autonomous Zones for the children?

There are a couple of schools in Israel that call themselves "democratic". The youngsters have a wide choice of courses they can elect to take and the classes' decisions are run by a vote. That's the theory. I don't know how they are in practice.

Under any circumstances, a school has to fulfill the state-devised curriculum - and that always involves making them into malleable citizens and order carrying out soldiers.

A few manage to get through the system. They are usually considered "disturbed" or otherwise "miskaynim" (pathetic) by society.

They are usually, in fact, the coolest people.

D2

Doreen Ellen Be...
Nov 18 2007 08:47

Mocking laughter??? Huh???

I laughed because the idea of a TAZ for kids delighted me and thought it should be extended!

Comrade, if you think that when people laugh they are mocking you; you have been hanging out with too many agents provacateur who disguise themselves as Anarchists and do mock - in order to make people feel insecure about themselves and get on the defensive, the better to control and manipulate them, as we see so many of them here.

Relax and don't let the people who are playing with people's heads and emotions on the Anarchy boards infiltrate your guts.

When I laugh I laugh in happiness and delight.

People are too precious to be made fun of.

D2

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Nov 18 2007 09:52

Dorreen,

I think that whenever workers, whether security guards, wardens, teachers, or, hell, even cops, pursue collective action to better their station, that should be supported. What kind of support this is depends on the case at hand. One main problem I have with the teachers` strike is that they put too much emphasis on how "important" their work is, on how they're fighting for the future of Israeli education, etc. etc., when they are, really, at the base of it, little more than wardens for minors. Another is that this rhetoric, among other things, is digging their graves, since the supplanting of "education" with "training" is nearly a done deal, with private "external" finals-factories gaining higher and higher prominence. They are fighting a battle for the past, instead of trying to look forward towards a better future. This is why they will ultimately fail, and be disappointed.

revol86,

I'm sure you're really proud of yourself for making j.rogue laugh with the internal libcom humor, and you're probably giggling yourself silly at Dorreen's sincere, uninformed responses, but it's this kind of behaviour which pushes the whole of this forum into looking like a big online clique, and there are plenty enough of those, thank you very much.

Tojiah's picture
Tojiah
Nov 18 2007 12:25

I have an even better idea, revol: How about you stick to the thread topic instead of constantly veering off to further feed your pathetic ego frenzy and pursue personal grievances in a faux-political guise? You can start by engaging this Dorreen in conversation rather than mocking her with internal libcom humor.

Doreen Ellen Be...
Nov 18 2007 18:36

In the case of teachers in Israel striking: I wouldn't care less if they starved to death.

In fact, they'd be doing Israel a service.

They are not workers struggling for better work conditions. They have excellent work conditions as it.

The Israeli school year is only about 200 days long and four - five hours a day long because of their "struggle".

They're paid in full for the days, um, I mean months, that they don't work.

As gov't workers, they also are entitled to bank at the special bank provided for gov't workers and get preferred mortgages, loans, car loans, interest rates...

The Jews in Israel have by far the highest semi-literacy rates of any Jewish community in the world, thanks to their "efforts".

They are state agents and seeing them "struggling" for better work conditions arouses as much pity in my heart as if it was SHaBak or the Mossad "workers", or "social workers" for that matter too.

P.S. I can't remember there was a factory worker strike in Israel. They don't dare, even though they work a shift and a half and still have to get a welfare subsidy to bring them *up* to the poverty line.

I know what I'm talking about. I went to work in a factory to see the conditions.

D2

Doreen Ellen Be...
Nov 18 2007 18:39

revol86

Whether the agent is implanted in your head or you are implanted like a "prick" here, is of no consequence.

You and those like you are worthless to the revolution.

All of the Anarchist revolutionaries were great Spirits.

There wasn't a waste of protoplasm among them.

What are you going to do when the revolution comes? Make sarcastic, caustic comments? Make inside jokes? Take a poll?

As I said, useless.

D2

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Nov 19 2007 07:44
revol68 wrote:
I don't see what your mocking laughter is in aid of, maybe childrens' right to self expression, discovery and growth are just a joke to you but some of us love and respect children as equals, as partners even, in the struggle to overcome the restrictive norms, assumptions and moralities of bourgeois society. In playgrounds across the world there are children just desperate for adults who are brave and open minded enough to take their hand in theirs and begin to strip away the layers of myth and repression that raise artificial divisions that seperate them. The revolution will only worthy of the name when it transgresses the intergenerational divide!

some of your best work.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Nov 19 2007 11:05
Doreen Ellen Bell-Dotan wrote:
In the case of teachers in Israel striking: I wouldn't care less if they starved to death.

In fact, they'd be doing Israel a service.

Banned.

Stop the flaming in here people.