What was the last film you watched? part 4

207 posts / 0 new
Last post
Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Offline
Joined: 11-10-09
Jul 23 2018 17:15

Any US posters seen "Sorry to bother you" yet, the film done by Boots Riley from The Coup?

wojtek
Offline
Joined: 8-01-11
Jul 23 2018 21:41

Action flick Foreigner with Jackie Chan vs the IRA. Cried a bit.

Who is America?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vqH2gRys5QQ

zugzwang
Offline
Joined: 25-11-16
Jul 24 2018 11:35
Uncreative wrote:
Any US posters seen "Sorry to bother you" yet, the film done by Boots Riley from The Coup?

Will have to check it out. I like some of Riley's musical work with The Coup; their Kill My Landlord (done around the time of the LA Riots) has a lot of anti-capitalist lyrics as well as a track with a Trump reference/diss, which is funny considering it was done in '93 (not that Trump wasn't deserving of a diss or whatever back then). Not sure how exactly Riley identifies politically. I try not getting so caught up with that stuff when it comes to music or films; I just like the depictions of working class struggle, anti-capitalist themes etc. Just did a quick search for his thoughts of Sanders and it looks sort of promising though:

Quote:
Elections are a dead end. We have taken our energy away from organizing at the workplace and put it into voting for this or that candidate. I’m not going to be naïve and say that there aren’t differences in candidates. There’s a little wiggle room, but the couple things you can get are far outweighed by the decimation of mass movements that happens when any election comes around.

I might see Spike Lee's new movie, Blackkklansman, which is supposed to be about an African-American police officer who infiltrates the KKK.

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Offline
Joined: 11-10-09
Jul 24 2018 13:15
zugzwang wrote:
Not sure how exactly Riley identifies politically. I try not getting so caught up with that stuff when it comes to music or films; I just like the depictions of working class struggle, anti-capitalist themes etc. Just did a quick search for his thoughts of Sanders and it looks sort of promising though:

Quote:
Elections are a dead end. We have taken our energy away from organizing at the workplace and put it into voting for this or that candidate. I’m not going to be naïve and say that there aren’t differences in candidates. There’s a little wiggle room, but the couple things you can get are far outweighed by the decimation of mass movements that happens when any election comes around.

Yeah, saw that quote recently, not bad. He was in the Progressive Labour Party when he was younger, ended up attending Central Committee meetings i think, but he left. Says hes still a communist though, and was involved in Occupy Oakland and other stuff. Theres some details in this interview. Konsequent met him after a gig a while ago, hes a nice bloke.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Offline
Joined: 17-08-12
Jul 24 2018 13:49
zugzwang wrote:
Not sure how exactly Riley identifies politically. I try not getting so caught up with that stuff when it comes to music or films

Since Occupy, I've seen him in multiple interviews identify with anarcho-socialism and anarcho-syndicalism. I think it was around Occupy that he was looking into other ideas. And he even made a FB post to his "anarchist friends" on the topic of direct democracy and Libya (?), and that was discussed on this thread.

Spikymike
Offline
Joined: 6-01-07
Jul 24 2018 17:20

Recently watched 'The Happy Prince' a biopic of Oscar Wilde with Rupert Everett reviewed here:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/10/rupert-everett-oscar-wilde-...
provides much material for a discussion of homophobia and homosexual practice in relation to both the upper classes and the workers in times past.

Fleur
Offline
Joined: 21-02-12
Jul 25 2018 01:39

I've seen Sorry To Bother You and it's really good. No spoilers, it's message heavy, pulls no punches about its anti-capitalist message without being preachy and is very entertaining and funny at the same time.

Method of Freedom's picture
Method of Freedom
Offline
Joined: 17-02-17
Jul 28 2018 14:39
Quote:
Blade Runner 2049 is a good movie, but not as good as the first. The first film was a lot simpler, immersive from beginning to end, whereas this second film has more twists and turns to the plot. There are scenes that provide atmosphere and showcases the production design and cinematography, but the two films kinda diverges in their cinematic aim.

I saw Blade Runner 2049 not so long ago and was completely underwhelmed I remember thinking it was finally becoming more interesting it was the end of the movie and maybe I was expecting to much from the movie compared to the original(director cut) who I would rate among my favorite top 3 movies with Taxi driver and Chinatown. While it great cinematography It did not really have the same great atmosphere as the first one and did not feel as real city unlike the first, although the soup at begin was a nice callback to the original of blade runner (1982) script that was supposed to be the opening scene of that movie.

Agent of the International's picture
Agent of the In...
Offline
Joined: 17-08-12
Jul 28 2018 16:27
Khawaga wrote:
Godzilla Monster Planet (anime). Really really good.

You must be a Godzilla fan like myself. Unfortunately, I have to disagree. I turned it off with about thirty something minutes remaining. There was way too much talking and exposition, and a story that just wasn't compelling enough. The animation did look nice though. I was actually reminded of this after watching the trailer for the new american Godzilla movie coming next year. I'm looking forward for that one.

Method of Freedom wrote:
...and maybe I was expecting to much from the movie compared to the original(director cut) who I would rate among my favorite top 3 movies with Taxi driver and Chinatown.

You mean the directors' cut from the early 1990s, or the 2007 Final Cut version?

Method of Freedom's picture
Method of Freedom
Offline
Joined: 17-02-17
Jul 28 2018 17:05
Quote:
You mean the directors' cut from the early 1990s, or the 2007 Final Cut version?

The final cut, so used when a movie comes out later in a new cut its usually called a directors cut so I thought it was called that have not traced down other cuts of the movie although saw a clip online from the original ending with unused material from the shining (which might be my favorite Kubrick movie) with the voice over from Ford which I felt did not have any character but usually like voice over in old film-noir movies.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Offline
Joined: 9-02-06
Jul 29 2018 21:15

Fleuve Noir : Thriller with Vincent Cassel aas the damaged, alcoholic cop searching for a missing boy while his own son is mixed up in drugs. Romain Duris is the creepy neighbourwho has an interest in the missing boy. It is a pretty clichéd film there were moments where I was literally cringing. There were a few bits where conventions was subverted a little. In general, it was quite a good film and the two leads were excellent, but the film didn't really say too much and the main character Visconti was rather dull, albeit played very well by Cassel.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Jul 30 2018 01:39
Fleur wrote:
I've seen Sorry To Bother You and it's really good. No spoilers, it's message heavy, pulls no punches about its anti-capitalist message without being preachy and is very entertaining and funny at the same time.

yeah just to echo this, this film is amazing. Everyone should go see it.

I'm quite excited it's his first movie as well, as it should mean there are lots more in future!

Don't want to give away anything about the plot, because I think it's more enjoyable if you don't really know what it's about. But it's fucking spot on

R Totale's picture
R Totale
Offline
Joined: 15-02-18
Jul 31 2018 12:27

Does anyone know if it's had a proper UK release yet? I've heard really good things about it, but it doesn't seem to be showing anywhere. Anyone know what's up with that?

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Offline
Joined: 4-01-12
Aug 8 2018 06:02

Platoon, surprised how little of this film was spoiled for me by pop culture. Probably my favourite Oliver Stone movie, it was very strong in its emotions, especially that village scene. Refreshing to see a Vietnam war film that actually does take an anti war stance rather than shrug its shoulders and leave it up to the audience to pick a theme out of it.

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Offline
Joined: 27-06-06
Aug 8 2018 20:23
R Totale wrote:
Does anyone know if it's had a proper UK release yet? I've heard really good things about it, but it doesn't seem to be showing anywhere. Anyone know what's up with that?

apparently not. Despite it being very successful in the US (a critical success and it's taken at least $15 million at the box office despite a budget of just $3 million), apparently film distributors see it as a "black movie", and think that international audiences don't watch "black movies". Which is completely ridiculous for a number of reasons. Especially post-Black Panther and Get Out

Uncreative's picture
Uncreative
Offline
Joined: 11-10-09
Aug 8 2018 20:30
Steven. wrote:
R Totale wrote:
Does anyone know if it's had a proper UK release yet? I've heard really good things about it, but it doesn't seem to be showing anywhere. Anyone know what's up with that?

apparently not. Despite it being very successful in the US (a critical success and it's taken at least $15 million at the box office despite a budget of just $3 million), apparently film distributors see it as a "black movie", and think that international audiences don't watch "black movies". Which is completely ridiculous for a number of reasons. Especially post-Black Panther and Get Out

Yeah, its pretty bizarre that distributors do that...

I emailed a cinema (little local one) about it a day or two ago, and they said they were talking to a bunch of distributors about getting it because they've had a fair bit of interest, so fingers crossed.

R Totale's picture
R Totale
Offline
Joined: 15-02-18
Aug 9 2018 09:45

Wow, that sucks, and is indeed pretty weird when compared to some of the obscure films that do get shown in cinemas over here.

Method of Freedom's picture
Method of Freedom
Offline
Joined: 17-02-17
Aug 9 2018 16:08

Looking at IMDB page it looks like sorry to bother you is only being shown in usa and canda https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5688932/releaseinfo

wojtek
Offline
Joined: 8-01-11
Aug 14 2018 01:57

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bg2k06
About British Pakistani and Ugandan men

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Offline
Joined: 4-01-12
Aug 14 2018 18:13

The Castle of Cagliostro, very enjoyable cat burglary film with really sharp animation for 70s anime. Also had some political intrigue and a plot that was surprising without being convoluted.

explainthingstome's picture
explainthingstome
Offline
Joined: 9-08-18
Aug 17 2018 11:07

A Fistful of Dollars. The image quality isn't very good and I wasn't particurarily interested in the characters. Though I might be saying that just because I saw Yojimbo (which has the same plot) before I saw this one.

Yojimbo has, in my opinion, a better lead actor, better side characters, a better image quality, a better soundtrack, a better direction, a better cinematography and it's funnier.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Offline
Joined: 4-01-12
Aug 20 2018 00:33

Horus, Prince of the Sun, a Japanese animated film from 1968, another early Miyazaki film. Its like a folk tale of a fishing village uniting against an evil wizard. The creative team were largely left wing radicals so they incorporated Socialist values into the film.

The villagers come together, live collectively and work to support each other, the only characters whom are self interested are shown in negative lights. An incompetent headsmen whose selfishness puts the village in jeopardy, and his scheming deputy.

I think young children would really love it.

rambarstuous's picture
rambarstuous
Offline
Joined: 26-08-18
Aug 29 2018 18:34

Dead Man's Shoes. Loosley based on the experiences of Shane Meadows and Paddy Considine who directed and co-wrote the film. A quite bleak and emotional low budget 'revenge' film that is not quite what it seems at first. Some interesting insight of hierarchy, some funny moments though but it's no comedy, great acting, well directed.

rambarstuous's picture
rambarstuous
Offline
Joined: 26-08-18
Aug 30 2018 06:28
explainthingstome wrote:
A Fistful of Dollars. The image quality isn't very good and I wasn't particurarily interested in the characters. Though I might be saying that just because I saw Yojimbo (which has the same plot) before I saw this one.

Yojimbo has, in my opinion, a better lead actor, better side characters, a better image quality, a better soundtrack, a better direction, a better cinematography and it's funnier.

A Fistful Full was a disappointment for me and I think you are right about the image quality.

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Offline
Joined: 4-01-12
Sep 3 2018 16:55

Flowers of Youth (International Version) a Chinese-Japanese animated co production about three short stories of life in modern China with flashbacks to the 90s in Shanghai and Hunan province. Its pretty to look at and full of emotion of the "look after your friends, family and treasure your memories" style.

I had two thoughts while watching it, first modern China seems to be no different from any other capitalist country with urban development, anxiety over getting good grades for a well paid job etc. And that I don't really see why this was animated, they could have made it in live action very easily. I guess it worked out cheaper?

zugzwang
Offline
Joined: 25-11-16
Sep 3 2018 21:48

I think rambarstuous got auto-banned for spamming (?), if someone wants to do something about that...

Reddebrek's picture
Reddebrek
Offline
Joined: 4-01-12
Sep 5 2018 15:14
zugzwang wrote:
I think rambarstuous got auto-banned for spamming (?), if someone wants to do something about that...

That user spammed multiple threads demanding their account be deleted.

I saw Netflix added Full Metal Jacket and figured why not complete the Nam trilogy? I didn't really care for it, I know its regarded as heresy to not like a Kubrick film but its easily the least of his films that I've seen.

It doesn't feel like a complete film its like two film that share a character. I really liked the first film in boot camp, it was very tightly shot and it did a very good job of showing how dehumanising military discipline is and why its not really a good idea to brutalise young man while at the same time giving them training and equipment to kill others.

But you could cut the film to start at the Saigon scene and not lost anything because there really is no connection. Its criticism is very weak too, the best it gets is the debriefing scene for the Stars and Stripes newspaper. But honestly even that's quite lazy, its just characters outright stating how hollow and disconnected the war is from its stated aims.

I also really didn't like Joker, he's not trying to maintain his humanity he's just a smug ironically detached jerk.

To be honest I think its interesting that the only parts of the film that became pop culture canon were R Lee Ermey. The only parts from the Vietnam section of the film I've ever heard before was racist pricks doing impressions of the Vietnamese sex workers.

cactus9
Offline
Joined: 9-12-14
Sep 13 2018 23:05

Pretty Village, Pretty Flame.

My friend lent it to me. Pretty good.

Lucky Black Cat's picture
Lucky Black Cat
Offline
Joined: 11-02-18
Sep 14 2018 22:40
Steven. wrote:
Fleur wrote:
I've seen Sorry To Bother You and it's really good. No spoilers, it's message heavy, pulls no punches about its anti-capitalist message without being preachy and is very entertaining and funny at the same time.

yeah just to echo this, this film is amazing. Everyone should go see it.

I'm quite excited it's his first movie as well, as it should mean there are lots more in future!

Don't want to give away anything about the plot, because I think it's more enjoyable if you don't really know what it's about. But it's fucking spot on

Yep, it's heckin great. The trailer really does not do it justice, and makes it seem quite apolitical.

If it's not showing in your country, you should be able to stream it soon after it's released on DVD on October 23rd.

sherbu-kteer
Offline
Joined: 19-08-17
Sep 15 2018 14:41

I, Dolours was very interesting. It's about Dolours Price, the Irish hunger striker and Provisional IRA member, who filmed 'tell-all' interviews with the stipulation that they only be released once she passed. I thought it was very well put together; the film is constructed out of a mix of direct interview, recreations and newsreel footage, and unlike most historical recreations these are very well-acted and make the film much more than just any old documentary.

It's quite clearly constructed to be sympathetic to her and her dissident republican position. The film itself implies that she only sat for these interviews because she felt so betrayed by Sinn Féin but if you keep all this in mind with a critical attitude then you will get a lot out of it.

The film got a bit of newspaper attention because she names Gerry Adams as an IRA commander and directly implicates him in the murder of Jean McConville. However the documentary itself contains no sensationalism at all, and it is much more a character study of a very interesting woman than it is anything else.

Go see it if you can!