Spanish Civil War info

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
yuda
Nov 4 2007 06:45
Spanish Civil War info

I'm helping put together a pamphlet of Spanish Civil War memoirs by German anarchist Werner Droescher. I'm using some OCR software to transform some old typed text into machine readable text. Anyway the text I'm working on at the moment is in particularly bad order and has got a few bits and pieces that aren't even human readable anymore. So if anyone a bit more knowledgeable than me can help out that would be appreciated

Quote:
The rebels were forced to retreat hurriedly and gave up any further attempt to break through at this point the same rebel forces were repulsed a few days later in an attack on Tardienta on the left of Huesca at that time defended by the famous "t3tflfl&&n~ Centuria".
yuda
Nov 4 2007 06:49

Gah, where the hell do I edit my posts?

So the above piece of text is from his experiences on the Aragon Front and from what letters I can make out they are something like: th*lma*n it's hard to tell so I could be wrong

miasnikov_perm
Nov 4 2007 07:21

Thaelmann brigade?

yuda
Nov 4 2007 07:38

Yip that's probably it thanks.

David in Atlanta
Nov 4 2007 08:12

Nope, not the Thaelman Brigade, he was with POUM and anarchist units .
there's a brief bio and excerpts from his momoirs here

yuda
Nov 4 2007 08:29

I should have thought of looking there, I helped out on the thr@ll site.

I still think he might be talking about the Thaelman Brigade, as he was an action he wasn't involved in. Anyone know whether the Thaelman Brigade was involved in action near Tardientia or in general on the Aragon Front?

Here's a bit more of the article for context:

Quote:
The very thin line of defence in the mountains of Farlete was able to resist the first shock. Immediatly large contingents of the Durruti and South-Ebro columns and the reserves of the Huesca sector were mobilized. The rebels were forced to retreat hurriedly and gave up any further attempt to break through at this point the same rebel forces were repulsed a few days later in an attack on Tardienta on the left of Huesca at that time defended by the famous "t3tflfl&&n~ centuria".
The precision and speed with which these operations were carried out were the result of experience, gained in the interval between the big forward push of beginning of August and the more organized campaign of October.

When I arrived at the front on August 10th a village of great strategic importance was guarded only during the night by a group of thirteen militia, most of whom slept peacefully not from slackness but simply from lack of any notions of what they must do to protect an advanced post. There was only one machine gun

David in Atlanta
Nov 4 2007 14:53

Apparently they were, but it was before the International Brigades for formalized. they were still the Thaelman century, part of the PSUC militia
http://leninist.biz/en/1975/ISSR389/Germany

yuda
Nov 6 2007 07:15

Does anyone know of any sites with a decent amount of high res images from the spanish civil war? I would especially like images from the Aragon Front.

Cheers.

Skraeling
Nov 8 2007 09:08

I've got a query too about the bit of writing Yuda mentions. I'm trying to date it for the aforementioned pamphlet. Werner Droescher wrote it sometime during the Spanish civil war. Given the description below, is he writing in 1936 or 37?

Werner Droescher wrote:
Until quite recently the inactivity on the Aragon front has been surprising. Excepting the attacks on Huesca by which some slight advances have been made and which produced some serious counter-attacks the line has remained practically unchanged since the month of August. The defensive force of the militia has been proved by their resistance in these counter-attacks as also in the surprise attempt to break the line at Farlete. A column of 4000 men with artillery and moorish cavallery was directed from Saragossa northwards to break the left flank and to cut off the forces which were besieging Huesca. The very thin line of defence in the mountains of Farlete was able to resist the first shock. Immediately large contingents of the Durruti and South-Ebro columns and the reserves of the Huesca sector were mobilized. The rebels were forced to retreat hurriedly and gave up any further attempt to break through at this point. The same rebel forces were repulsed a few days later in an attack on Tardienta on the left of Huesca at that time defended by the famous “Thälmann centuria”.

looking at the original, Droescher spells Thaelmann the German way.

later Droescher mentions the govt decree announcing the militarisation of the militias, and how the militias attempted to ignore this. thanks in advance.