Last post
David in Atlanta
Mar 15 2008 01:30
"New York Burning"

blog post on the 1741 slave rebellion in NYC
http://dbellel.blogspot.com/2006/04/hot-time-in-old-town.html

petey
Mar 15 2008 03:00

i haven't yet read lepore's book, tho' i almost certainly will, being an NYC history nut. i have always assumed that these prosecutions were a frame-up: either the fire was an accident (new amsterdam was a total firetrap) or there were a scant few involved, and it was taken out on a bunch. but the former still seems likeliest.

David in Atlanta
Mar 18 2008 11:56

As I recall, Aptheker took it seriously as did Rediker and Linebaugh in The Many Headed Hydra I want to make tshirts for Hughson’s Tavern. "Serving Rum and Rebellion Since 1741"

petey
Mar 18 2008 20:00
David in Atlanta wrote:
As I recall, Aptheker took it seriously as did Rediker and Linebaugh

yeah, alot of people who know their stuff do take it seriously (i thnk wallace and burroughs do too) but it just seems too crazy. not that the craziness of an idea has ever stopped anyone.

David in Atlanta
Apr 3 2008 17:14

Arson was a standard method of struggle during slavery and the attacks looked to be targeted. Governor's house, military installations, etc. The evidence against Hughson's gang is just a bit tainted by modern human rights standards, and I sincerely doubt John Ury had anything what so ever to do with the fires or anything else. They didn't even prove he was a priest! For all we know whoever did set the fires got away with it while Horsmanden rounded up petty criminals and innocent bystanders.

Good overview of the incident

petey
Apr 3 2008 17:27

good link, thanks