DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Council Communist Women

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
yoshomon
Oct 19 2007 14:05
Council Communist Women

I'm reading texts from this council communist archive, and it struck me that there is not a single article written by a woman nor any women listed in the 'people' section ( http://www.kurasje.org/arksys/archset.htm ). When women are mentioned in articles they're usually only mentioned as 'Mattick's wife' or some shit like that.

Where are the council communist women? Is this tendency really this gendered?

Felix Frost's picture
Felix Frost
Oct 19 2007 15:11

Sylvia Pankhurst is the only one I can think of, and she was only around for the very beginning of the movement.

I don't think this is unique for the council communist tendency, though. It's unfortunately quite typical for political movements, revolutionary or otherwise.

Iron Column
Oct 19 2007 15:25

Henriette Roland Holst? Also don't forget that there are not that many councilists who have written articles, really. I can only think of Pannekoek, Ruhle, Gorter, Mattick, and Korsch from the original movement along with Pankhurst and R-H. And they all take as a forerunner Rosa Luxemburg, if that in any way can make councilism less "gendered".

yoshomon
Oct 19 2007 16:11

Yes this is not unique, it just bothered me reading various accounts and biographies because it was clear that women were involved, they are just reduced to wives and footnotes in the 'his'tories... in the same way that say Michele Bernstein is usually mentioned only as 'Guy Debord's wife' even though she was one of the founders of the SI!

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Oct 19 2007 18:34

Kollontai.

revolutionrugger
Oct 19 2007 18:44

wasn't she a bolshy?

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Oct 19 2007 18:44
Felix Frost wrote:
Sylvia Pankhurst is the only one I can think of, and she was only around for the very beginning of the movement.

Actually you don't have to look far from Sylvia to find another. Adela Pankhurst, her sister, was a founder member of the Australian Communist Party where she was on the left wing. Like Sylvia though, she deserted the movement as the revolutionary wave ebbed.
Devrim

OliverTwister's picture
OliverTwister
Oct 19 2007 19:21
revolutionrugger wrote:
wasn't she a bolshy?

A damn fine one too.

Quinlan Vos
Oct 19 2007 19:57

Yeah, Kollontai wrote a lot, although she would be more of a left communist than a council communist, and she could only really be considered as one for a certain period of her life.
Really, though so what? This is pretty much the case across the board when you look at radical tendencies. Now, one could explore the reasons why this is the case, but they're pretty obvious.

fnbrill's picture
fnbrill
Oct 19 2007 23:51
OliverTwister wrote:
revolutionrugger wrote:
wasn't she a bolshy?

A damn fine one too.

Even when she was a stalinist?

Leo
Oct 24 2007 10:12

Another example is Ruth Fischer.

OliverTwister's picture