From Far Right to Far Left?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
WorkersDreadnought
Jul 18 2010 16:53
From Far Right to Far Left?

Have there been any historical instances of fascists turning into anarchists? Or even your average right winger? Or does everyone end up an anarchist starting from a general lefty perspective on life?

gypsy
Jul 18 2010 17:21

There is quite a famous anarchist from London who used to be in the NF, think his name is Martin(someone correct me if wrong). But yeah our very own oisleep used to flirt with the far right when he was a youngster.

Wellclose Square
Jul 18 2010 17:40

Although not an anarchist, Ricky Tomlinson was a one-time NF member.

martinh
Jul 18 2010 21:57

One of the founding members of Deptford DAM in 1985 or 86 had been in the NF. He's not been active for some time but his move from right to anarchism was sincere.

Likewise, Malcolm who was in Doncaster DAM and AFA was a teenage NF member. He told me the key for the switch was an anarchist he knew who kept arguing with him. It took time to sink in, but it did and Malcolm became an active anti fascist. Not sure of any high profile people who've made the switch,

regards,

Martin

Boris Badenov
Jul 18 2010 22:24

I like it how this thread is just like the From Left to Right one, only more EXTREME.

JoeMaguire's picture
JoeMaguire
Jul 18 2010 23:32

Do these guys count?

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Jul 19 2010 07:52

all these (plus more, matthew collins etc..) have already been mentioned, subversively, on the left to right thread

Hungry56
Jul 19 2010 14:43
october_lost wrote:
Do these guys count?

I just checked the wikipedia page, I don't think the Blaggers were ever right-wing. Their first single was 'Victory to ANC'.

Sheldon's picture
Sheldon
Jul 19 2010 15:54

My own personal politics began in the American Libertarian Right and moralist "we are the beckon of enlightenment" wankery. This was when I was a teenager.

The shift happens and I don't even think it's too strange of a shift to make, considering most "average right wingers" are expressing one variety of class anger or another--although mostly of a petite-bourgeois expression.

oisleep's picture
oisleep
Jul 19 2010 14:58
Hungry56 wrote:
october_lost wrote:
Do these guys count?

I just checked the wikipedia page, I don't think the Blaggers were ever right-wing. Their first single was 'Victory to ANC'.

Not the band as a whole, but matty the lead singer was involved with the BM/far right as a teenager

Alf's picture
Alf
Jul 19 2010 17:07

Sheldon wrote:
My own personal politics began in the American Libertarian Right and moralist "we are the beckon of enlightenment" wankery. This was when I was a teenager.

Since we have just published, as an appendix to a piece on Connolly and nationalism, a personal account of a very similar path from right wing libertarianism in the USA, I asked him if he was the same one as the author of that piece, 'Stagger Lee' from Revleft, and he confirmed that it's a different guy - which makes it more interesting of course.

http://en.internationalism.org/icconline/2010/7/connolly

Entdinglichung's picture
Entdinglichung
Jul 20 2010 13:18

I mentioned Della Volpe and Krahl here: http://libcom.org/forums/history-culture/radical-right-wing-13062010?page=4#comment-382902

on Matty Blag from: http://www.redaction.org/anti-fascism/obituary.html

Always a larger than life character, Matty’s involvement in politics had begun not on the Left, but on the Far-Right, with membership of the British Movement during his teenage years. Whilst doing one of a number of spells in Young Offenders institutions however, Matty began to question his flirtation with fascism and left shortly after.

After coming into contact with RA and AFA, Matty became a highly valued and trusted activist, playing a notable role in many a successful stewarding operation.

TeflonMaster
Jul 20 2010 17:41
Alf wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

Since we have just published, as an appendix to a piece on Connolly and nationalism, a personal account of a very similar path from right wing libertarianism in the USA, I asked him if he was the same one as the author of that piece, 'Stagger Lee' from Revleft, and he confirmed that it's a different guy - which makes it more interesting of course.

http://en.internationalism.org/icconline/2010/7/connolly

This is me btw

Valeriano Orobó...
Sep 27 2010 15:27

Far left is too much but from the right to the left i think we can count
John Le Carré