Ways to avoid paying for public transport?

64 posts / 0 new
Last post
wojtek
Dec 7 2012 01:59
Ways to avoid paying for public transport?

Any other methods besides locking yourself in the bathroom on the train...? Know any good blagging techniques? It cost me £9.60 one way to Preston (bus and train), it's ridiculous.

thegonzokid's picture
thegonzokid
Dec 7 2012 08:50

I paid 11 quid one-way from Manchester - Liverpool after a post-anarchist bookfair drinking session and nobody even checked the ticket. Was fuming.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Dec 7 2012 09:00

Tyne and Wear has checkywatch as a form of autoreduction. Dunno how much that would generalise (there's barriers everywhere on the trains down here). A workmate used to make fake monthly tickets for their commute which was pretty cool.

wojtek
Dec 7 2012 15:30

Train fares set to increase by as much as 17.5 per cent

omen
Dec 7 2012 17:40

I can think of three, and only three, possible solutions to this problem, each more cunning than the last:

1) Become a train driver. (Although this does have the one drawback that you won't actually need to commute any more.)

2) Take "The Great Train Robbery" literally, and actually steal a train! I can't see any drawbacks with this plan. You should definitely do it.

3) If you decide not to go along with #2, and I don't see why you wouldn't, then there's always the lowtech solution to fall back on:

tastybrain
Dec 7 2012 17:59

They totally solved this problem in Boston (jk)

sabot's picture
sabot
Dec 7 2012 18:11
omen wrote:
I can think of three, and only three, possible solutions to this problem

aye, you forgot one:

wojtek
Dec 7 2012 18:39

omen, that was hilarious thank you! laugh out loud

The Swedish Anarcho-syndicalist Youth Federation, SUF, started a fund called P-kassan which payed for fare-dogers' fines (page 4, Thoughts and Action (2008))...

I've never understood why transport workers such as RMT don't just refuse to charge passangers instead of striking, it'd be a great PR.

Fleur
Dec 7 2012 19:15

Like this

Actually, when I was younger and more reckless, I used to hitch a lot. I tend to look back at it in a what the fuck was I thinking of, and I'm surprised that I'm not buried in a shallow grave just outside of Liverpool sort of way. There were surprisingly fewer nutters picking up hitchers than you would think, but lots of very boring people who obviously didn't get to talk to people much and had you as a captive audience all the way to Birmingham. Not actually recommending it to you because I would hate for you to end up in a shallow grave just outside of Liverpool.

Cooked's picture
Cooked
Dec 7 2012 19:26

Just board the train. You get to se unexpected places... Rather than Manchester I got to see Milton Keynes. It was freezing and regardless of how far I walked on that grid I couldn't find a nice warm pub sad

Caiman del Barrio
Dec 7 2012 20:03
fleurnoire-et-rouge wrote:
Like this

Actually, when I was younger and more reckless, I used to hitch a lot. I tend to look back at it in a what the fuck was I thinking of, and I'm surprised that I'm not buried in a shallow grave just outside of Liverpool sort of way. There were surprisingly fewer nutters picking up hitchers than you would think, but lots of very boring people who obviously didn't get to talk to people much and had you as a captive audience all the way to Birmingham. Not actually recommending it to you because I would hate for you to end up in a shallow grave just outside of Liverpool.

I've hitched many a time and the worst nutters I've encountered have been evangelists forcing me to read the Bible aloud (in Sonora, northern Mexico). No axe murderers, funnily enough, cos they represent a tiny demographic of the population.

Word on the boring conversations though. Best to do it with two people so as to tagteam sleeping.

Croy's picture
Croy
Dec 7 2012 20:30

I used to be really shit with tubes and used to keep losing my ticket whilst on the actual tube un knowingly through just fiddling with it or silly shit and then I would get to the barriers and the panic that would set in is un believable. Its your worst fucking nightmare. One time it happened to me and when I started crying the guy let me through smile The less compassionate ones will fine you £20 but usually they will let you out and ask you to come back to the station to pay you if there's no way you can pay it on the spot which Ive had to once.

In other vaguely related news, recently I was coming back from a gig in Camden on the tube late on a sunday night. I was fairly drunk and it was a fairly busy packed affair in a tiny venue, so when I took my ticket out of my pocket, it was fucking ruined with sweat and was falling apart. I still tried to put it through the machine anyway, needless to say it fucked itself and didn't come back. The guy came over and said he would let me through but for reasons of some sort of irrational drunk paranoia, I proceeded to stumble to the ticket machine and buy another ticket, a day travelcard at that. Maybe I went to the wrong machine or whatever but I got one of those ones that only work on tubes and not national rail so upon getting to victoria I got myself another fucking one that would work because I couldn't find the destroyed one to try and get through with that. So eventually I get home and the next day, when Im just about to go out somewhere, already late and rushing, I realize I can't find my fucking debit card, but low and behold, what I do find is the battered sweaty ticket. I then have to ring and cancel my drum lesson, a thing which I am charged for due to lack of notice, and then I ring natwest and do the sensible thing and cancel the card. I then get a call from my mum a couple of hours later, a conversation which she ends with "oh and by the way don't think you lost your debit card, your brother found it outside the door a while ago, its with me". Luckily, natwest were fairly sharp ish about sending me the new card but its jarring as fuck.

Rats's picture
Rats
Dec 8 2012 07:15

I don't know about the UK. In Melbourne I like to walk through the barriers in the city behind someone else, and when they get let through, slide your hand along the metal on the inside of the barrier, and block the door popping back out, and it'll stay inside when it hits your hand. Never been questioned, caught, anything.

Rats's picture
Rats
Dec 8 2012 07:18

Obviously that means I was just risking copping a fine the whole time. Maybe make a fake ID incase you ever get caught, some small countries just have laminated cards.

Ellar's picture
Ellar
Dec 8 2012 12:17
Quote:
Train fares set to increase by as much as 17.5 per cent

Glad people are talking about this, what do people think of the possibility of large scale auto reductions on the train system? Huge amount of public anger around transport costs.

The ticket machines are mostly touch screen, if anything like spray paint got on that screen the machine is useless (nobody should do this obviously cos it's criminal damage and you should respect private property). Occupy did a bit of this kind of thing in new york and it seemed to go reasonably well.

bricolage
Dec 8 2012 15:04
Quote:
The ticket machines are mostly touch screen, if anything like spray paint got on that screen the machine is useless

Then you wouldn't be able to buy tickets but I don't think they'd just start letting you on for free.

Quote:
Occupy did a bit of this kind of thing in new york and it seemed to go reasonably well.

In new york you only put your ticket in once at the start so if you mash up the way in you're fine getting out. In London for example you have to 'tap in' and 'tap out' so it would only work if both ends of your journey had been touched which is a lot harder to do.

But yeah transport costs are astronomical. And considering how long people spend commuting it's another form of work eating further and further into both leisure (time) and the means of survival (money).

Caiman del Barrio
Dec 8 2012 16:37
wojtek wrote:
I've never understood why transport workers such as RMT don't just refuse to charge passangers instead of striking, it'd be a great PR.

Word to that. Imagine a Boxing Day with free tube!

Some sort of cooperation between radical commuter groups (as opposed to the current yuppy ones) would be the best way to respond to price rises IMO.

Probable obstacle to this would be the RMT's conservative, tankie leadership...

Harrison
Dec 8 2012 20:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgwi0OKcYkA

like usual, white hats ruin potential fun by publishing exploits.

wojtek
Dec 10 2012 03:53

Unemployed people to get free bus travel in attempt to help them find work

Stan Milgram
Dec 10 2012 05:29

If you hop trains (BART) here in the Bay Area you'll receive a brutal beating, perhaps even be shot. Bikes are a safe bet.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Dec 10 2012 12:02
wojtek wrote:

Caiman del Barrio wrote:
Some sort of cooperation between radical commuter groups (as opposed to the current yuppy ones) would be the best way to respond to price rises IMO.

Probable obstacle to this would be the RMT's conservative, tankie leadership...

A lot of people put this sort of thing forward. I think it is very misguided.

Firstly I think that it buys into the whole thing that has developed over the last thirty years or so about strikes and public support. Strikes are not won on public support, but on the damage that they cause to the economy, and the solidarity of other workers, which is a very different thing from 'public support'. One of the things that the power of public transport workers' consists of the the ability to hit other sectors of the economy by basically stopping other people getting to work. By saying that they should work as normal, but refuse to collect fares, you automatically negate this.

Second surely we want workers' struggles to try to involve as many workers as possible. By advocating a strategy like this, you are in effect suggesting involving far fewer workers (i.e. just those who collect tickets, and putting them as individuals into a situation where they don't know if other workers are acting with them (If you are outside the work place on a picket line you know that you are not on your own. If you are one person refusing to collect tickets on a train you don't.), and quite probably leave themselves open to individual discipline processes for failing to preform their duties.

Devrim

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Dec 10 2012 12:06
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
Word to that. Imagine a Boxing Day with free tube!

Just on the subject, in Ankara public transport is free on religious holidays.

Also in the city where I am living now as in many European cities, there is no control at the entrance or exit. You stamp your ticket in the entrance hall of the metro, or on the tram or the bus, but there are no gates or ticket checkers. Of course there are inspectors, mostly on the metro. I have never seen one on a bus, and very rarely on a tram.

Devrim

communal_pie's picture
communal_pie
Dec 10 2012 12:17

1. If you get your fares in advance they're usually a lot cheaper (sometimes 2 or 3 quid as opposed to 50 quid).
2. Even if you book close, but in advance it's usually still cheaper
3. If you for any reason have to cheat the train, be alert, confident and don't look suspicious. Try getting off at a middling suburbs station where no one can be arsed to check the tickets (one example is getting off at Iver instead of Slough, you could theoretically probably get away with your whole journey being free if you got on at the right place). If you get on at stations without barriers (Finsbury Park for example) you'll have to find somewhere without strenuous checks or barriers.
4. Use all the subsidies you're entitled to on top of all the above.
5. Make sure you find the cheapest fare on the tube by using the single fare finder, the LO is much cheaper than the LU and takes just as long, it's more reliable too.

bit.ly/6QkkLt

Use that. Find the stations or ones nearby, go to the Station Map and you can see whether the station has barriers or not (very recently refurb'd stations might not show this, but you can find that info out on google, this tool has been invaluable in the past).

communal_pie's picture
communal_pie
Dec 10 2012 12:19

I'd also add that I've had most LU staff be really nice to me in the past, it's usually only when they've got their bosses looking over their shoulder (*literally) that they'll sort of go ahead with the whole shitty process of booking someone in, albeit resentfully.

Always do your best to wangle out of it if that happens

wojtek
Jan 2 2013 13:44

Passenger takes out loan just to get to work

Pretending to be asleep seems to work.

Avanti
Jan 2 2013 20:32

When I was staying in Italy, there are hardly ever ticket checks on the bus so I would buy 1 ticket and then not stamp it, and then if there was a ticket checker I would just claim to be an ignorant tourist and who didnt know to stamp their ticket.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Jan 4 2013 22:39

Bendy buses in London are free smile
With the tube you can walk in behind someone but be polite about it (don't push them or cop a feel). As you get checked on the way in and out it is a bit tricky but as long as the station is reasonably busy you'll be alright. The white shiny square at below hip height is the sensor you need to block to follow someone through, although if you're reasonably close it should be ok. The main thing is not to panic if you fuck it up. Also it's a good idea to know an address and matching postcode if stopped, they check it's a valid address but not if you live there. The barriers are pretty hard to jump though.

Rail, get an open return and if you can get onto the train without scanning your ticket then you can use it again. If you have a bag then go through the gate at each end so it doesn't get scanned, on your way out ask them if you can keep it, I've never had a problem doing that.

In Paris. Don't bother paying for buses full stop. Metro they do checks fairly frequently and the best way to get around them is to be white. It's worth having a few old tickets it your pockets (you can pick them up or use a few) and then start handing them over to the checker, that's what I did last time and the guy saw that I had a few tickets and stopped looking. You don't need a ticket to get out so once you're in it's easy. As a matter of course hold the door part of the barrier open after you so the next person can jump the barrier. French railways the tickets have to be stamped in a machine on the platform, so I never stamped it so I could re-use them. Now that the system has changed to make it a lot cheaper to book tickets this is becoming less worthwhile (booked tickets are for a certain train so can't be reused, stamped or not, although they can technically be refunded I think)

Cologne trams, just get on. When I asked for directions the guy in the hostel didn't actually know how to pay for a ticket because he'd never done it smile

Budapest: pay the ticket, the inspectors aren't regular but they are arseholes and wil make you pay even if you are a tourist, although if they think you're a gypsy apparently they often let you off, but might call the cops.

Tart's picture
Tart
Jan 14 2013 17:45

When I travelled from Amsterdam Central to Schipol for work I always bought the ticket- 'cos I am a nervous geezer and sitting shitting my self is worse than paying. My colleague was a young north African who was paying for his university by working; he pointed out his study- the number of inspections per month and the chance of getting hit with a penalty worked out much cheaper than paying for every ride- he was caught regularly and paid the excess but it still worked out much less than a mug like me would pay... I bet he is Jimmy Carr's tax advisor now!

Caiman del Barrio
Jan 14 2013 18:16
jef costello wrote:
Bendy buses in London are free :)

Boris was supposed to get rid of em at the end of '11 though? Think there maybe like one route that i still see occasionally (507 maybe?) but it's not really a general thing.

It's pretty tricky dodging transport in London unless you have encyclopaedic and constantly updating information on the handful of (outer) stations that don't have barriers and you're lucky to be able to travel from one to the other. You're probably better off buying a bike tbf.

flaneur's picture
flaneur
Jan 14 2013 18:49
jef costello wrote:
Bendy buses in London are free smile
With the tube you can walk in behind someone but be polite about it (don't push them or cop a feel).

Nearly all the tricks have gone but that one will always work. I managed to go in and out of stations all day without paying (since it was my chum, I both pushed him and copped a feel).

petey
Jan 14 2013 23:03

in nyc you're pretty much s.o.l., outside of revolutionary periods (http://libcom.org/news/successful-fare-strike-new-york-subways-29032012)