DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

TVs you like - let's share em!

193 posts / 0 new
Last post
Craftwork's picture
Craftwork
Aug 25 2019 16:59

American Factory on Netflix depicting the culture clash when a Chinese company opens a large factory in Ohio, and the struggle for unionisation.

cactus9
Feb 20 2020 00:55

Good program on iplayer called Amazon: What They Know About Us. I'd recommend it, especially if you have an Alexa, although I'd assume most people (everyone) here are sensible enough not to.

Lucky Black Cat's picture
Lucky Black Cat
Feb 20 2020 11:23
Craftwork wrote:
American Factory on Netflix depicting the culture clash when a Chinese company opens a large factory in Ohio, and the struggle for unionisation.

Haven't seen it yet but the film won an Oscar and the director, Julia Reichert, said the following in her acceptance speech:

Quote:
Our film is from Ohio and China ... But it really could be from anywhere that people put on a uniform, punch a clock, trying to make their families have a better life. Working people have it harder and harder these days. And we believe that things will get better when workers of the world unite.

Fuck yeah.

The quote was repeated in various news articles covering the Oscars. A small but good thing for this statement reach such a humongous audience.

cactus9
Feb 22 2020 20:08

Quite good series of programs on iplayer about Universal Credit.

Lucky Black Cat
Feb 23 2020 05:10

I recently finished The Good Place. A fun little sitcom but what makes it unique is they mix in philosophy, ethics, and other Big Questions. The last few episodes of the series are deeply satisfying. One of the best-ended shows in TV history.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Feb 23 2020 16:47
Lucky Black Cat wrote:
I recently finished The Good Place. A fun little sitcom but what makes it unique is they mix in philosophy, ethics, and other Big Questions. The last few episodes of the series are deeply satisfying. One of the best-ended shows in TV history.

I only watched around three or four episodes and I thought it was truly fucking awful. Just sayin’!

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Feb 24 2020 21:58

Just started this, American Factory I mean - I’m excited!

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Feb 23 2020 20:15
Lucky Black Cat wrote:

I really liked it, but I thought the last ten seconds was unnecessary. One of my favourite recent shows.

cactus9
Feb 23 2020 23:29

The Good Place was great up to a certain point and then it just became incredibly shite.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Feb 24 2020 19:19
cactus9 wrote:
The Good Place was great up to a certain point and then it just became incredibly shite.

Agree, and that certain point was the end of the opening titles!!!

R Totale's picture
R Totale
Feb 25 2020 20:02

I like the Good Place, although I haven't got up to the last ten seconds yet - have reached the last episode but it was too long for my attention span so I've put off watching the very end for now. I respect the fact that they were able to keep it interesting despite having to switch things up a great deal since the starting premise. I do think there's a bit of a tendency for shows that are very focused on showing the characters' personal growth to lose the spark a bit as they go on (thinking mainly of Parks and Rec here, arguably Broad City to an extent too), and the last series of the Good Place could probably be criticised for that, but I suppose the last few episodes are kind of an attempt to deliberately and consciously grapple with the problem.
Was a bit late on this one, but one of the best things I've been watching recently is Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, would recommend very highly, could maybe be compared to Bojack Horseman?

Lucky Black Cat
Feb 27 2020 10:29
Noah Fence wrote:
cactus9 wrote:

Agree, and that certain point was the end of the opening titles!!!

This made me laugh out loud. You get my upvote, good sir. But others here like the show so I'm in good company.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend -- just watched the trailer. Seems fun!

My favorite show of all time is Six Feet Under. No spoilers!!! -- I happen to know that someone on this thread is 3/4 way through the final season.