Sweden - Seamen strike in Stockholm

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kattmannen's picture
Kattmannen
Jul 14 2008 15:57
Sweden - Seamen strike in Stockholm

I found one campaign hompage regarding an ongoing conflict with seamen in Stockholm local of SAC vs Ă…nedinlinjen that is also in english! This conflict is really nasty because the seamen are sacked and when their contracts end they will not only loose their jobs but also their legal status. There are 18 pakistanis in the Stockholm local on the ship and they have lived in Sweden between 7 - 23 years. The shipping company will ruin their plans for the future, their social life in Sweden (many have lived here longer than some posters on this forum) and their economic situation, if we can't stop them.

Read more about it here:
http://www.birgerjarl.info/

Antieverything
Aug 14 2008 20:15

seaman...ha.

martinh
Aug 14 2008 21:52

Is there any concrete help these workers are after? Messages of support etc?

Incidentally, there was a TV programme here in the 70s called The Onedin Line, set in the days of sail. I presume it's the same outfit

Regards,

Martin

Kattmannen's picture
Kattmannen
Aug 15 2008 14:36

The police broke up a picket line wednesday and took in 11 guys. They will probably be charged with petty crimes like assauling an officer of the law and not obeying a direct order from an officer of the law. There are regular pickets at the dock and the shipping company always call the cop over. This time the cops acted different from the other pickets but the ship got delayed two hours. That is quite good because almost every passenger on those cruices are older and you know how old people get pissed if they have to wait for the buffet smile

We'll have to wait and see what happens, the union and the company are testing each others atm.

I am not involved in this thoug I've visited the picket once, it is mostly people in the transport syndicate but I can check if they need support from abroad!