The Student Handjob

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
wojtek
Jan 11 2012 09:37
The Student Handjob

Has anyone read 'The Student Handjob' by the University of Strategic Optimism (a poor man's Deterritorial Support Group)? I haven't yet myself, but you can read it online here:

http://issuu.com/thestudenthandjob/docs/thestudenthandjob__with_posters_?mode=window&backgroundColor=%23222222

There's also a review of it here:

http://jdeanicite.typepad.com/i_cite/2012/01/undressing-the-academy.html

Caiman del Barrio
Jan 11 2012 11:59

Calling UfSO a poor man's DSG is a bit unfair. wink AFAIK their central member is a neo-Maoist academic and a lot of their members are his students. They're pretty active on campus at Goldsmiths.

Haven't read the pamphlet though...

bulmer's picture
bulmer
Jan 11 2012 12:14

I just flicked through a few pages and now have no intention to read it. Gives the impression of pretentious wankery. But looking at the title, maybe thats what they're going for??

fruitloop
Jan 11 2012 12:23

Maybe students will like it

wojtek
Jan 11 2012 12:41

I've a read some of it and it seems to follow in the footsteps of Communique from an Absent Future and On the poverty of student life before that, only not as good/much pretentious wankery. wink

I like it.

Jason Cortez
Jan 11 2012 13:03

Not particularly impressed myself, a mix bag, much like Rage. Have not got around to reading all of it, as some of it is woefully written. Might have some interest for an actual uni student though, so will pass on at some time.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jan 11 2012 13:14
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
Calling UfSO a poor man's DSG is a bit unfair. wink AFAIK their central member is a neo-Maoist academic and a lot of their members are his students. They're pretty active on campus at Goldsmiths.

Haven't read the pamphlet though...

That academic isn't a member, but a, what should we say, 'very active supporter'? Most of the people who write it are in his department (which he is the head of) though.

I think a lot of the people who wrote this have now moved on and the UFSO is not really doing a lot. What they have been producing as of late is absolute trite, but i think it is just one member who has taken it on him/herself to keep the blog running.

I haven't read the studenthand job. I should probably get around to it at some point.

Jason Cortez
Jan 11 2012 13:31

You can have my copy

RedEd's picture
RedEd
Jan 11 2012 15:13

Would it be out of order to ask if the academic involved is the one I have in mind by mentioning names? Can't see why it would be a problem but don't want to tread on toes either.

Caiman del Barrio
Jan 11 2012 15:15

I think I'm right in saying it's the same one as The Paper, the Kiwi guy...

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jan 11 2012 15:16

Well, he isn't 'involved' as in a member. It is/was a student led thing. Though he is pretty active on the sidelines. I would personally say don't name names, but if you want to PM me I could confirm it. But it's up to you.

Arbeiten's picture
Arbeiten
Jan 11 2012 15:17
Caiman del Barrio wrote:
I think I'm right in saying it's the same one as The Paper, the Kiwi guy...

Paper yes, Kiwi no. He is Aussie.