DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

squatting.

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
abcd eviscerate...
Sep 7 2009 19:26
squatting.

hi.

i had a question about the reality of squatting. the difference between the law concerning squatting and how those laws were in fact used in an everyday situation.

I also would like to know if it were possible to squat in house that had been totally rebuilt but was currently unoccupied?

thank you.

Rats's picture
Rats
Sep 10 2009 01:02

I don't know anything about the laws. In australia you can tell the police "it's civil matter between us and the landlord, blah.. blah.." but they'll just say "if you don't leave now, i'll arrest you for aggrevated criminal trespas" which, unlike normal trespas which is somewhat like a parking ticket, is not much fun.

New houses are lovely, if you can break into it, live in it!

Ed's picture
Ed
Sep 10 2009 08:56

First of all, which country are you in as the law varies from place to place.

Secondly, my experience with squatting is very minimal (as in, I hung out with anarcho-squatters in my mispent teens wink ) so you might want to not take my word as the final one.

But from what I do know on squatting, what would happen is that once you've secured the property it's 'yours' until such time as the landlord takes steps to evict you (the police can't do it off their own backs).

However, one thing that would worry me about a building that's recently been rebuilt/refurbished is that the landlord seems like they want it. Most squats that last manage to do so because the landlord has all but forgotten that the place exists (or at least they've not got back to it for a while). If this place has been done up, the owner is probably thinking of making some money off it in the near future and will be more keen on getting you out of there.

The best place to go for more detailed info would be the Advisory Service for Squatters website.

Rats's picture
Rats
Sep 11 2009 03:10

Here we can do a title search at the local council to find out who owns the property. If its a firm or government department you can get lucky and it'll be lost in bureaucracy. I think next to deceased estate or overseas forever, this is the best situation to have. As long as the firm isn't run by seedy underworld gangsters, you'll probably have no hassles for months.

Defend your squat from eviction:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMqoBhFfkT0

Smiley1's picture
Smiley1
Feb 20 2010 12:45

The longest term (English) squat I lived in was 5 years and that was a full street waiting to be demolished. Luckily the permission didn't come through for the owner for ages and a brilliant community was set up in a fantastic location. The owner knew and didn't care because the street was maintained reasonably well in comparison to the vandalism that might have set in. There were no bathrooms, one cold tap in every house and an outside loo between every two - we had to go to the local pool for a shower - but it was great fun and most importantly, relaxed with no legal hassle because we'd communicated with the owner.

Squatting is not just a way to find somewhere to live, it's a statement about ownership and the abandonment and waste of property that could really be put to good use by those in need. I'd go for something in a bit of disrepair.