'Reputable' articles defending colonialism and the IMF

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aflwydd
Mar 16 2012 13:50
'Reputable' articles defending colonialism and the IMF

I am struggling to find articles that I can actually quote as 'respectable' to provide counter-arguments for my essay. Would any of you happen to know of any useful claptrap that I could rip apart for a few hundred words?

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Mar 16 2012 14:07

Probably something by Philip Legrain. But you'll probably need to be on strong anti-depressants before reading him.

rooieravotr
Mar 16 2012 16:33

I found a defense of Zionism that basically says: in order to defend Zionism, you have to accept that it is a form of colonialism. So, the argument is, to defend Zionism, you have to defend colonialism as a force for good. Which the author, Rafael Castro, does in Ynet, here. Wether the author is generally seen as 'reputable' I cannot say. Not in my book, anywaytongue

Found through War In Context

ocelot's picture
ocelot
Mar 16 2012 17:10

Also dunno what counts as 'respectable' for your purposes. Niall Ferguson is a big fan of the progressive role of Empire - but then he's a vile tory bastard, but hey... he's famous and on TV a lot. Depends on your intended audience I guess. Also, I haven't read it, but the Financial Times' Martin Wolf had the bad timing of coming out with a book entitled "Why Globalisation Works" just in time for the 2008 crash. But he's still putting a brave face on it, saying the crash doesn't disprove his basic theory that globalisation is the progressive force of capitalism making the majority of the planet richer. As that's part of the IMF's work, I presume he would count as a "respectable" defender of the IMF (but maybe his book is critical of them in some way?)

Aflwydd
Mar 17 2012 11:17

Thanks for the replies!

Ocelot - I had already used Ferguson, but Wolf flew under my radar. I suppose that's what happens when you haven't read a newspaper in four years.

When it comes to 'respectable' articles, universities tend to look to known journals, books, or newspaper columns. I found a lot of blogs but I get the feeling they wouldn't be impressed with my use of those.

rooieravotr - That's brilliant, exactly what I was looking for.

riot_dude
Mar 17 2012 13:49

The IMF prints plenty of 'legit' crackademics:
http://www.imf.org/external/pubind.htm
things like this?:
http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/cat/longres.aspx?sk=24580.0
Or do an author search for, say, famous neoconservative academics on yr uni(?) database, that'll turn up mountains of peer-reviewed bullshit.

Spikymike
Mar 17 2012 14:43

Have you read Bill Warren's useful 'marxist-progressivist' antidote to other traditional 'marxist', anarchist' and liberal anti-imperialist politics in the Verso book 'Imperialism - Pioneer of capitalism' it draws some distinctions between 'imperialism' and 'colonialism'. Haven't read it since the 1980's so might give another go myself since my ideas have moved on to some extent since then but I found it interesting first time around.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Mar 17 2012 18:51

Stanley Fischer's [url=In defense of the IMF]http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.2307/20048970?uid=3738032&uid=2&uid=4&sid=47698770573057[/url]