Prince is dead

257 posts / 0 new
Last post
fidel gastro
Apr 23 2016 06:06
Fleur wrote:
red and black riot

Quote:
For many such as myself, Prince was one of those people that represented awful commercial 'music' and an awful commercial culture. Problem is, now he's dead, we will have to put up with his stupid face and shitty 'music' everywhere we go. There, I said it. How does not liking Prince make me unfun? Thats ridiculous.

What are you, 12 and sneering at the kids reading Smash Hits because you only like bands nobody has ever heard of? Honestly, nobody past adolescence really cares what kind of music anybody likes and your dislike of Prince is no skin off anyone's nose but generally it's a bit bad taste to put the boot in to people who are genuinely upset that someone who's music meant a lot to them has died. People get upset when a favourite musician dies because the music was a back drop to their lives and is incorporated into their memories. I listened to him, watched him, danced to him and fucked to him and generally Prince is one of those artists that took me to a happy place. Your schadenfreude that he's dead and you're happy that a lot of people without your musical cool are sad is just a little bloody infantile. Yeah, he was dead mediocre. He played 37 instruments and cities all over the world turned purple and were filled with dance parties last night so people could celebrate his shitty music and his stupid face.*

Anyone who makes their living as a musician makes commercial music, just some people sell more than others. I'm an unashamed lover of commercial music, my days of being a cooler than thou musical snob went a long time ago. If music is commercially successful it just means that it makes a lot of people happy, not just a select few. And right now you're about 2 minutes away from my lecture on why Nicki Minaj is clearly a goddess.

*sorry, I meant wonderful music and beautiful face.

Have you actually seen this? http://www.queerty.com/prince-discovers-god-says-some-homophobic-crap-20...

One less homophobic religious nut in the world, what a shame. No gods. No Masters.

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Apr 23 2016 06:59
Noah Fence wrote:
Jeff - did you actually watch the video?

Nope, was never a fan of Prince.

I think Fleur is right about art. Accessible stuff is cool, but stuff that requires virtuosity inspires. It's cool to know that anyone can make a film, write a novel, record an album etc and that's the way it should be, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't have the stuff that blows your mind with it's skill or scale.

(That said I do find abstract guitar noodling a bit dull, anything where they are just showing off a skill rather than using it to create something leaves me cold. )

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 23 2016 07:15

Jeff - well said. I read my posts again and realised I was talking shit, I mean it was true what I said but it's not the whole picture. There is actually loads of highly skilled musicians that I like. Lee Ronaldo is an incredible guitarist, you need way more than good ideas to do that shit.

Seriously though, watch the video. I also find Prince leaves me cold but this is a little different!

Fleur
Apr 23 2016 13:18

Red and black riot:

Firstly the OP was asking about separating art from the person, which I can obviously do because I know very little about his personal life and haven't bothered reading the music press, let alone celebrity biographies since my teens. Secondly, I was taking issue with you been mean spirited and smug about someone dying and taking pleasure in other people being sad about what's effectively a little bit of their youth dying. It's not a great look, it makes you look petty and spiteful. Thirdly, you're an adult. Try growing up.

Refused's picture
Refused
Apr 23 2016 13:23

RIP prince obvs but I'm also really sad to see such hate for my former band chumbawumba.

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Apr 23 2016 14:33

I think Fleur is right. It's pretty mean spirited to mock people who are affected by someone's death, and musical taste is pretty individual. There is no better or worse.

That said I do find it strange that people are affected so deeply by the deaths of people they don't know. I sort of think 'oh, that's a shame', but that's it. Maybe I'm just not particularly empathetic.

I'm not a big fan of Prince, but I did like Bowie. However, when he died it didn't affect me that much. The music I like is still there, and he hadn't done anything great in years. Maybe that's just me though.

Still actively trying to offend people isn't nice.

Devrim

Fleur
Apr 23 2016 15:08

Devrim:

My personal feeling on this is, certainly from my point of view, that it represents a loss of something which is heavily associated with memories. I was upset when Bowie died, and quite shocked at this because I'd never had one of these celebrity mourning-type experiences before, because I had so many associations with his music. In the case of Bowie, the first album I ever owned was Ziggy Stardust and I used to play his songs on the guitar and I found his music got me through some very tough times.
I'm not in any deep mourning for Prince but I associate his music with memories, people I don't have in my life anymore, it's a personal loss, not of someone I actually knew or wanted to know but of a part of my life which isn't there anymore. It's absolutely nothing like losing someone I actually knew and loved. I'm not a very nostalgic sort of person but I don't want to totally forget or walk away from the past but I find music associated with strong memories very evocative, much more so than any other kind of remembrance and I guess when an artist dies that I have this sort of connection with their work, it's a concrete reminder that a certain part of my life is well and truly gone now.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 23 2016 15:35

When Mr Bowie died I felt a strange sort of happiness and comfort. I didn't feel upset in the least. It was probably connected to my situation with my health but my thoughts were one of, well done mate, that's a life well lived. I'd always loved his music even since I was in single figures but my associated memories made me smile as they reminded me of my life which, for the most part, I'm very happy to have lived.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 23 2016 15:40
Refused wrote:
RIP prince obvs but I'm also really sad to see such hate for my former band chumbawumba.

No hate from me. I saw you guys at a gig in a squated bingo hall around 84/85. Smart and hilarious! I seem to remember a bass player with a TV on his head and a singer in a suit pretending to be a boss. Am I imagining this or does my memory serve me well?

Zeronowhere
Apr 23 2016 20:43
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Anyway, I can't say I was ever a Prince fan, but he was still miles better than fucking Michael Jackson. Yeah, that's right. ;-)

That might actually be true, and probably the most earnest tribute a person could give to Prince. You plan on suing?

And, indeed, what better person to give such a tribute.

petey
Apr 23 2016 22:24
Refused wrote:
my former band chumbawumba.

oh!

fidel gastro
Apr 23 2016 23:29
Devrim wrote:
I think Fleur is right. It's pretty mean spirited to mock people who are affected by someone's death, and musical taste is pretty individual. There is no better or worse.

That said I do find it strange that people are affected so deeply by the deaths of people they don't know. I sort of think 'oh, that's a shame', but that's it. Maybe I'm just not particularly empathetic.

I'm not a big fan of Prince, but I did like Bowie. However, when he died it didn't affect me that much. The music I like is still there, and he hadn't done anything great in years. Maybe that's just me though.

Devrim

Atleast Bowie turned down a Knighthood- and wasn't a Jehovah's Witness. Also much of his music and songs were actually good.

gram negative's picture
gram negative
Apr 24 2016 00:35

so im guessing that statutory rape is ok.

interesting...is this how you act outside of a message board?

Harmonie Forrest
Apr 24 2016 01:15

I only know two of his songs and I was so young then, "Purple Rain" and "When the Doves Cry". He's really weird but I must say really talented. RIP Prince.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
Apr 24 2016 13:31
Zeronowhere wrote:
Chilli Sauce wrote:
Anyway, I can't say I was ever a Prince fan, but he was still miles better than fucking Michael Jackson. Yeah, that's right. ;-)

That might actually be true, and probably the most earnest tribute a person could give to Prince. You plan on suing?

And, indeed, what better person to give such a tribute.

Touche, Zero, touche.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 26 2016 06:03

HTF did I miss this;

Devrim wrote:

Devrim

Hahahahahaha!

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Apr 26 2016 09:52

Noah, do you think I actively try to offend people?

Devrim

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 26 2016 10:20
Devrim wrote:
Noah, do you think I actively try to offend people?

Devrim

Well, I've seen what I strongly believe is you actively trying to offend people and making a pretty good job of it. If it was not intentional you have a natural talent.
For good measure I'll point out that I'm far from innocent myself but just coz I'm an asshole sometimes it doesn't mean you're not. It just means there's 2 assholes!

Devrim's picture
Devrim
Apr 26 2016 10:34

I'm really not sure what you talking about. It's certainly not intentional. I can't think of many things that I do that could be said to deliberately offend people. Maybe I'm just really unselfaware.

Devrim

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 26 2016 12:55
Devrim wrote:
I'm really not sure what you talking about. It's certainly not intentional. I can't think of many things that I do that could be said to deliberately offend people. Maybe I'm just really unselfaware.

Devrim

Don't worry about it. Maybe it's just me. Anyways, we're all assholes to some degree, aren't we?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Apr 26 2016 17:06

Wow! It turns out Prince was a fan of my guru! At last, I found a reason to like him!

http://youtu.be/UDwTJQuB_WI

fidel gastro
Apr 27 2016 21:27

I guess I was rather OTT perhaps, aswell as inflammatory but I don't really care about his death.

fidel gastro
May 14 2016 14:11
Fleur wrote:

As for Nicki, she's got amazing flow, she can really sing, she's smart and funny and sassy and you can dance your ass off to her. On top of that she's totally gorgeous. What's not to love?

I couldn't disagree with you more, to me she is obviously part of the objectification and stereotyping of women. I also don't think she is 'gorgeous' which is to do with preference anyway and don't see being gorgeous as some kind of achievement like you obviously do. Why even mention that you find her gorgeous? Whats that got to do with songs and music? It's whats inside that counts anyway.

Fleur
May 14 2016 14:47

The fuck? You came back after this time to come up with that? Brooding much.

You bio says that you are a man, which gives you exactly zero say on how women chose to look and act. Nada. Next thing I expect is you will be opining that women shouldn't wear heels or look better without make-up or whatever shitty sexist opinions guys pipe up with when trying to force their opinions on women's behaviour in the name of, ahem, feminism. Massive eye-roll. As the young 'uns say, stay in your lane. I seem to remember that you lamely waved about your argument about objectification and stereotyping of women to justify your (now recanted) transphobia. GTFO, your opinions on how women chose to look and dress are irrelevant.

Yeah, I think she's gorgeous, what of it? I'm not dead from the waist down. If you suggest that people don't notice when other people are attractive, then you're just deluding yourself. Popular music has always had a strong sexual element to it - you do know what rock and roll means, don't you? - if you don't like that then the medium isn't for you. Or you can just go with it and appreciate the sexiness.

That's all you can come back with? That I think she's sexy? No criticisms of her as a smart, independent, body-positive, sex-positive, smart as a whip, funny as fuck woman? Not going to argue about her massive talent as a rapper or ability to produce some of the catchiest, danciest, most fun pop songs out there? Your beef is that I think she's gorgeous. Tone police my sexuality, why don't you?

May the gods protect us from self-identified male feminists who want tell women how to look and behave. And you're right, what is inside a person is what really counts. You could probably do with a little bit of self examination yourself. And even then you can still take your infantile desire to judge people by what music they like and stick it where the sun doesn't shine, which seems to be where your opinions on this subject already reside.

fidel gastro
May 14 2016 16:02

Hopefully she'll be the next celeb arsehole to die.

Fleur
May 14 2016 17:17

You are such a pointless manchild.

Also, consider your hypocrisy when you whine about sexism and religion to put forward your teenaged view on what's cool and what's not (apologies to actual teenagers who are mostly much more grown up than this) while you're listening to Bob Marley next. Sexism, patriarchy, religious mumbo-jumbo. He had it all. Let's just face it, you're a misanthropist who just likes shitting on other people who don't like the same things as you.

Better still, don't try and throw around your dodgy second wave feminism next time you want to be a grumpy old git. Don't need or want you white-knighting for us, tyvm.

fidel gastro
May 14 2016 18:24
Fleur wrote:

You bio says that you are a man

Seems you agree with Germaine Greer's position on men after all- interesting. Anyway, I have better things to do with my time than spend all of it on here, ciao.

Fleur
May 14 2016 18:53

Ha! You're the one who came back into a dead thread just to crap on someone else's music taste. You clearly don't have much in the way of better things to do.

I don't really give a gnat's knacker about Germaine Greer but my personal experience bears that I've never met a man who brandishes his faux feminism to tell women what they should look like, do or enjoy who wasn't an utter tosser.

S. Artesian
May 15 2016 20:14

I'm with Fleur on this. Hope it doesn't make him/her rethink his position.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
May 15 2016 09:24

According to 'science' you can tell things about people's personality and belief system from their taste in music;

http://www.medicaldaily.com/who-do-you-think-you-are-what-your-taste-mus...

At best though it looks pretty flimsy to me.
There are some pretty obvious examples though where it would be pretty fair to make a judgement. I mean, if someone is crazy about Screwdriver and loves to sing Land of Hope and Glory, it's not too difficult to surmise that they are more than likely a nationalist shitbag. Similarly, if they are keen on the Internationale they probably have politics considered to be somewhere on the left, or even worse, they are Billy Bragg.
Move away from obvious stuff like this and suddenly it's way more difficult. All the same, some general conclusions can be drawn, for instance, if someone declares that they don't like 'commercial music' it's almost(but not quite) certain that they are a phoney, too cool for school, image conscious nitwit, possibly with a big ego but probably also with low self esteem.
I like music of almost every variety although I find 99% of any style of music to be well below par. There are a few things I have trouble with in which the sound of the music is so evocative of something I can't stand and I'm so infuriated by what that sound represents that it's like poison to my ears. Swing/lounge music a la Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennet spring to mind or 1980s Westbourne Grove trendies of whom I knew a good number suddenly come back to haunt me when I hear The Sodding Clash.
As pointed out, this is pretty childish but if that's how you feel that's how you feel.
Probably the most daft example of this attitude from both sides was when in the very early eighties the hidebound, reactionary and incredibly backward looking Musicians Union were bemoaning synthesisers and saying that electronic music was not 'real music'. As my reaction I went through maybe 6 or 9 months listening to only electronic music. Duh.
Actually, even more dumb was me at the Stonehenge Free Festival in 1984, tripping my nut off through amphetamine induced sleep deprivation of around 80 hours and feeling like I could touch God, I sat in my mates car, whilst Hawkwind, who I absolutely loved played live as the sun rose, because I refused to stand in a field with a bunch of acid dropping fucking hippies! What a fucking knob.
Anyways, I enjoy have a bit of fun categorising people coz of what they like and getting on a wind up about well thought musos but in reality you should just enjoy what the fuck you like and pay no heed to the lives of the people behind the music. Plus wishing them dead is really fucking childish and petulant - just pack that shit in. Er, unless it's Billy Bragg.