DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

Prince is dead

257 posts / 0 new
Last post
infektfm
Offline
Joined: 26-02-11
Apr 21 2016 18:49
Prince is dead

Although he was in many ways a really shitty person, his music was genius.

How do you guys separate the person from the art?

S. Artesian
Offline
Joined: 5-02-09
Apr 21 2016 20:38

Why do you say he was an awful person? Just wondering.

I think he was one of the 3 or 4 greatest performers I ever saw.

factvalue
Offline
Joined: 29-03-11
Apr 21 2016 20:48

Bible in one hand, cock in the other, the little prick was vivid and garish and bursting with energy, and he was a brilliant producer. Fuck him - I'm gonna miss him, he makes me think of so many frenetic, messed-up people and times and feel regret, temporal isolation and a sense of falling upwards in space like you want me to walk right down your halls, yeah, you want me to swivel in your loveseat, don't ya baby, write my name on your walls,....and, I think this is good.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Offline
Joined: 18-12-12
Apr 21 2016 20:54

Personally, I just never dug Prince. Putting that to one side though, as the leader and founding member of the Anti Guitar Solo League, I've got to say that the guitar solo on Kiss makes me want to reconsider my position. Probably the best solo ever recorded and the complete antithesis of the 6 string wanking of Purple Rain!

factvalue
Offline
Joined: 29-03-11
Apr 21 2016 21:00

I liked him like I liked fizzy fruit drinks in that if they happened to be lying around I'd drink them but I wouldn't go and buy one. But a lot of people I was into liked him and I couldn't really ask them to listen to Pierrot Lunaire or The Fields of Sorrow or Lutoslawski's 3rd the whole time, so..

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Offline
Joined: 18-12-12
Apr 21 2016 21:08

What's with all these celeb deaths though? It seems to be the height of fashion to kick the bucket amongst the celeb community. I hope they all get in on the act.

S. Artesian
Offline
Joined: 5-02-09
Apr 21 2016 21:12

Great guitarist, great dancer, great performer. Sex, and sex, and rock and roll. The four best things in the world today-- until there's a world revolution, then that's 4 out of the 5 best things.

"Move over baby
Hand me the keys
Gonna try to tame
Your little red love machine"

Doesn't get much better than that.

And the ride.........And the ride....I said the ride is so sm-o-o-o-o-th
You must be a limousine.

It's the sound of young America-- that Motown thought it had locked down.

It's what's in the groove that counts, to quote Berry Gordy. And Prince had the groove.

Zeronowhere
Offline
Joined: 5-03-09
Apr 21 2016 21:20

There are many permutations in which such a statement could be better, unfortunately one might say. So yes, it may be sad in a way.

factvalue
Offline
Joined: 29-03-11
Apr 21 2016 21:49

He lay. His upturned face was now
pale and withdrawn upon the sloping pillow,
since the world
and all his worldly-wisdom,
ripped from his mind,
had reverted to the indifferent year.
Those who saw him alive never knew
how much he was at one with all of this;
and this: these depths, these meadow-lands
and waters were his face.
All that broad horizon was his face
which even now still desires and woos him;
the taut visage, haunted now by death,
is tender and open like the inner flesh
of a fruit rotting in the air.
Rainer Maria Rilke

gram negative's picture
gram negative
Offline
Joined: 24-11-09
Apr 21 2016 22:36

compared to bowie, this def has made me sad; i think because i grew up listening to him and continued till now. obviously was a homophobe (when he became a jehovah's witness, in the early 2000s), which he should have been challenged on. but a homophobe committed to an image the point of which was genderbending, who had an alter-ego named 'Camille', and sang of threeesomes with another man invited

never got to see him live, which has hit me hard today.

Quote:
Sometimes it snows in April
Sometimes I feel so bad, so bad
Sometimes I wish that life was never ending,
But all good things, they say, never last

fidel gastro
Offline
Joined: 15-04-08
Apr 21 2016 22:11
infektfm wrote:
Although he was in many ways a really shitty person, his music was genius.

How do you guys separate the person from the art?

I'm really glad he's dead- a totally over-rated arsehole, and homophobe. His fans are really annoying because they seem to think he is some kind of genius, despite the fact that he was very mediocre. Anything that upsets his fans makes me happy and what could be better than him dying?

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Offline
Joined: 29-04-08
Apr 21 2016 22:11
red and black riot wrote:
infektfm wrote:
Although he was in many ways a really shitty person, his music was genius.

How do you guys separate the person from the art?

I'm really glad he's dead- a totally over-rated arsehole. His fans are really annoying because they seem to think he is some kind of genius, despite the fact that he was very mediocre. Anything that upsets his fans makes me happy and what could be better than him dying?

There's always "this guy".

Fleur
Offline
Joined: 21-02-12
Apr 21 2016 22:26

Prince was undoubtably a true musical genius, a massively prolific artist and it will be interesting to see what he had stored in his vault, should all or any of it be released. Of all the music I listened to in my teens, there's a negligible amount that I still listen to at all these days but Prince is one of the few exceptions and I was very sad when the news broke today. He was an amazing guitarist and I love his mix of rock, soul and funk. And yes, it was all about the sex. When teen me first saw him playing When Doves Cry on TV I thought this diminutive, non-gender conforming (No, I didn't know that expression then) dynamo in heels was the sexiest creature I had ever laid eyes on. He was a huge talent and I'm going to miss him. I was really bummed that I didn't go to see him when he was in town recently. Doubly sad about that now.

Incidentally, I don't know much about his private life and I don't really care. If we could only like music produced by people who have some kind of lockdown on ideological correctness, we would be reduced to listening to the such like as Chumbawumba and Ani DiFranco. God, that would be dismal.

gram negative's picture
gram negative
Offline
Joined: 24-11-09
Apr 21 2016 22:30
red and black riot wrote:
infektfm wrote:
Although he was in many ways a really shitty person, his music was genius.

How do you guys separate the person from the art?

I'm really glad he's dead- a totally over-rated arsehole, and homophobe. His fans are really annoying because they seem to think he is some kind of genius, despite the fact that he was very mediocre. Anything that upsets his fans makes me happy and what could be better than him dying?

lol nice take. sorry u are so unfun...

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Offline
Joined: 29-04-08
Apr 21 2016 22:31

As you can imagine, living in Minneapolis, this it's a very big deal. Everyone is talking about it. It's all over the news. Completely took over my newsfeed on Facebook. Even Obama made a statement.

The I-35 Bridge is going to be lit purple tonight.

Even the transit system's Facebook page is talking about Prince:

Metro Transit wrote:
A lovely story from one of our staff members: "When Prince was in High School in Minneapolis, he rode the Metro Transit buses to downtown and would go to First Avenue & 7th St Entry. He told driver #181, Jim DeBill, that he was going to be a star someday."

At the famous First Avenue venue, people have been showing up and leaving flowers.

First Ave is having an all-night Prince dance party tonight. Probably going to be mobbed.

Favorite thing I've seen today is from a Wobbly here who works in education:

Quote:
Peace,

Me: Prince died.
Students: who?
Me: Purple Rain.
Students. Oh Future's New Album.
Me: Your getting put on Facebook.
‪#‎IStillLoveYou‬ ‪#‎KnowYourHistory‬

Oh, and then there's this:

Oh, and it's been raining all day...

Zeronowhere
Offline
Joined: 5-03-09
Apr 21 2016 23:49
Juan Conatz wrote:
red and black riot wrote:
infektfm wrote:
Although he was in many ways a really shitty person, his music was genius.

How do you guys separate the person from the art?

I'm really glad he's dead- a totally over-rated arsehole. His fans are really annoying because they seem to think he is some kind of genius, despite the fact that he was very mediocre. Anything that upsets his fans makes me happy and what could be better than him dying?

There's always "this guy".

What if Prince covered Avril Lavigne? That guy'd be like twice the person. It would be, like, Riot x2, or a whole new type of riot. They'd basically be Paramore.

Quote:
As you can imagine, living in Minneapolis, this it's a very big deal. Everyone is talking about it. It's all over the news. Completely took over my newsfeed on Facebook. Even Obama made a statement.

Now if only he could contrive some way of being named 'Diana'...

edit: inb4 'he wasn't named Diana.'

Auld-bod's picture
Auld-bod
Offline
Joined: 9-07-11
Apr 22 2016 07:50

Prince almost totally passed me by. Learned more about him in the last few hours than ever before. The World Service spread it on too thick last night, like they would rather be hip DJs than news reporters.

Was genuinely sorry to hear about the deaths of Merle Haggard, a mixed human being, who went his own musical way; and the talented Victoria Wood, who could make the mundane funny. At least Merle lived to a reasonable age unlike the other two (79).

fidel gastro
Offline
Joined: 15-04-08
Apr 22 2016 10:32
gram negative wrote:
red and black riot wrote:
infektfm wrote:
Although he was in many ways a really shitty person, his music was genius.

How do you guys separate the person from the art?

I'm really glad he's dead- a totally over-rated arsehole, and homophobe. His fans are really annoying because they seem to think he is some kind of genius, despite the fact that he was very mediocre. Anything that upsets his fans makes me happy and what could be better than him dying?

lol nice take. sorry u are so unfun...

For many such as myself, Prince was one of those people that represented awful commercial 'music' and an awful commercial culture. Problem is, now he's dead, we will have to put up with his stupid face and shitty 'music' everywhere we go. There, I said it. How does not liking Prince make me unfun? Thats ridiculous.

fidel gastro
Offline
Joined: 15-04-08
Apr 22 2016 10:32
red and black riot wrote:
gram negative wrote:
red and black riot wrote:
infektfm wrote:
Although he was in many ways a really shitty person, his music was genius.

How do you guys separate the person from the art?

I'm really glad he's dead- a totally over-rated arsehole, and homophobe. His fans are really annoying because they seem to think he is some kind of genius, despite the fact that he was very mediocre. Anything that upsets his fans makes me happy and what could be better than him dying?

lol nice take. sorry u are so unfun...

For many such as myself, Prince was one of those people that represented awful commercial 'music' and an awful, rampant commercial culture. Problem is, now he's dead, we will have to put up with his stupid face and shitty 'music' everywhere we go. There, I said it. How does not liking Prince make me unfun? Thats ridiculous.

Fleur
Offline
Joined: 21-02-12
Apr 22 2016 12:00

red and black riot

Quote:
For many such as myself, Prince was one of those people that represented awful commercial 'music' and an awful commercial culture. Problem is, now he's dead, we will have to put up with his stupid face and shitty 'music' everywhere we go. There, I said it. How does not liking Prince make me unfun? Thats ridiculous.

What are you, 12 and sneering at the kids reading Smash Hits because you only like bands nobody has ever heard of? Honestly, nobody past adolescence really cares what kind of music anybody likes and your dislike of Prince is no skin off anyone's nose but generally it's a bit bad taste to put the boot in to people who are genuinely upset that someone who's music meant a lot to them has died. People get upset when a favourite musician dies because the music was a back drop to their lives and is incorporated into their memories. I listened to him, watched him, danced to him and fucked to him and generally Prince is one of those artists that took me to a happy place. Your schadenfreude that he's dead and you're happy that a lot of people without your musical cool are sad is just a little bloody infantile. Yeah, he was dead mediocre. He played 37 instruments and cities all over the world turned purple and were filled with dance parties last night so people could celebrate his shitty music and his stupid face.*

Anyone who makes their living as a musician makes commercial music, just some people sell more than others. I'm an unashamed lover of commercial music, my days of being a cooler than thou musical snob went a long time ago. If music is commercially successful it just means that it makes a lot of people happy, not just a select few. And right now you're about 2 minutes away from my lecture on why Nicki Minaj is clearly a goddess.

*sorry, I meant wonderful music and beautiful face.

Juan Conatz's picture
Juan Conatz
Offline
Joined: 29-04-08
Apr 22 2016 12:09

Haha well said Fleur..

S. Artesian
Offline
Joined: 5-02-09
Apr 22 2016 13:02

Rock and roll saved my life. Prince made great rock and roll. Good beat, and you could dance to it.

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Offline
Joined: 18-12-12
Apr 22 2016 13:11

Fleur is technically correct here but there is a difference between commercial music that most see as credible and that which most see a shite. When I say most I mean my peers and unless I'm very much mistaken, many Libcommers. Fuck that shit is what I say, some of my favourite tunes fall in the non credible category whereas the credible stuff is so fucking dull. To me Prince is Superstar material, like say Maddona and many others that have an enormous body of work most of which is tedious as fuck but made bearable by a couple of absolute belters. With Prince I'd suggest Get Off and Kiss as the winning tunes, as for the rest I'm like, whatever. I'd take Macarenna over Ehen Doves Cry or Purple Rain any day of the week.
As for that overall damning of 'commercial' music, well, ugh.

Ed's picture
Ed
Offline
Joined: 1-10-03
Apr 22 2016 13:11

Red and black riot, seriously, if you listen to I would die 4 u and nothing twitches in you then you're just a plank of wood with a face drawn on. Fact.

Fleur
Offline
Joined: 21-02-12
Apr 22 2016 13:17

Credible is very subjective. Life's too damned short to care about whether or not art is credible or not. People spend way too much time navel gazing about this sort of thing. I find a lot of people's tastes in entertainment or pastimes unfathomable but at the end of the day, who really gives a fuck?

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Offline
Joined: 18-12-12
Apr 22 2016 13:20
Fleur wrote:
Credible is very subjective. Life's too damned short to care about whether or not art is credible or not. People spend way too much time navel gazing about this sort of thing. I find a lot of people's tastes in entertainment or pastimes unfathomable but at the end of the day, who really gives a fuck?

Agreed. As you know I like having fun with this stuff but really, there is just so much wanking off over music. It's just fucking daft.

Fleur
Offline
Joined: 21-02-12
Apr 22 2016 13:23
Quote:
there is just so much wanking off over music

Agreed 100%

petey
Offline
Joined: 13-10-05
Apr 22 2016 14:33
Auld-bod wrote:
Prince almost totally passed me by. Learned more about him in the last few hours than ever before.

same. i think he came along about 20 minutes after i stopped paying attention. i heard some good tracks of his, but i'm taken by surprise by the claims made for him and all the attention.

S. Artesian
Offline
Joined: 5-02-09
Apr 22 2016 15:10

Listen again to Little Red Corvette, 1999, Kiss, U Got the Look, etc etc etc. Too bad for those not paying attention. Plus....if you never saw him live, then really you don't know what you missed. Nobody played guitar, sang, and danced like him. He could out play any guitarist ever; and he could outdance anyone with the possible exception of James Brown.

Better than all that is the fact that Prince made you want to dance. If that's not important, then I don't know what is when it comes to rock and roll.

Serge Forward's picture
Serge Forward
Offline
Joined: 14-01-04
Apr 22 2016 15:52
Noah Fence wrote:
there is just so much wanking off over music. It's just fucking daft.

What's wrong with wanking off over music? And if you haven't wanked (or fucked) over Prince's music, then you haven't lived, you silly person.

Credibility? Arse.

Fleur
Offline
Joined: 21-02-12
Apr 22 2016 15:55

Talking of which:

http://www.theonion.com/article/nation-too-sad-fuck-even-though-its-what-prince-wo-52791