Nasce a FACP - Federação Anarquista Comunista de Portugal

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mark.
Dec 10 2007 21:53
potlatch wrote:
unfortunately there aren't any discussion forums. When we started organizing FACP we created a forum to discuss more regularly, because some of the members were separated by a great distance, but it was essentially for internal discussion and is now off. Some years ago a group also created a discussion forum but no one participated and it died so fast as FACP, eheh. Instead, there are some blogs and one or two mailing lists. I think you can understand portuguese, am i right?

I can understand Portuguese - writing it is harder. It's a shame there are no discussion forums and it's surprising there are none from Brazil. There are forums from other Latin American countries, including Argentina, Chile and Colombia. None of them are great but they're better than nothing.

On a historical note I watched a documentary about the history of fado a few weeks ago (part of the European Roots series on BBC4) where they played an anarchist fado song from before Salazar came to power. I thought fado lyrics had always been non-political but apparently this was only as a result of censorship. The words went, in part, something like this -

Quote:

A ciência humanidade
Símbolo do altruísmo
Tem por base condenar
Deus, pátria e militarismo...

A miséria o anarquismo tem por base condenar...

Do you know if there is any more information about these songs - or any recordings available?

syndicalist
Dec 11 2007 14:39

So what I can understand, the main group of the formerFACdP has re-consitituted itself.

FROM A-infos: (pt) [Portugal] O Colectivo Luta Social foi recentemente reactivado
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 20:44:42 +0100 (CET)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Companheiros/as,

O colectivo Luta Social, recentemente reactivado, realizou a 08/12/2007
uma Assembleia Geral.
Entre outros documentos, aprovámos a nova versão dos estatutos, que
encontrareis em:
http://groups.google.com/group/iniciativalutasocial/files

Temos em preparação os <<Cadernos Luta Social>>, tendo decidido que estes
serão em formato revista, abertos a colaborações externas e contendo
materiais de reflexão crítica, análises e materiais diversos, sobre a
realidade portuguesa e internacional. Esperamos publicar o primeiro número
em Janeiro.

O nosso blog foi transformado em site web e pode ser consultado, a partir
de agora, em: http://www.luta-social.org

Mudámos blog assim como o nome e aparência da lista pública, mas o
espírito mantém-se: Liberdade total para expressão de Companheiros/as,
Apoio e Respeito Mútuo, Solidariedade.

Boas leituras! Melhores combates!

Manuel Baptista
(do Colectivo Luta Social)

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 11 2007 16:04

welcome to the portuguese posters! thanks for the info.

look forward to hearing more from you in future

bmp
Dec 11 2007 18:12

First of all, the FACP didn´t dissolved itself, it was a decision made by only 3 people of the about 20 people that were in the group. The rest of the people didn´t have a chance to discuss that and the public anouncement came with out the aprovement of the majority of us.

This group Luta Social is composed by the three people that decided the dissolution of the FACP. The rest of the the members of the FACP are yeat to discuss what we are going to do. But is almoust certain that we are going to assume the FACP manifesto and try to establish a nacional coordenation.

Mark.
Dec 11 2007 18:44
syndicalist wrote:
So what I can understand, the main group of the formerFACdP has re-consitituted itself.

FROM A-infos: (pt) [Portugal] O Colectivo Luta Social foi recentemente reactivado
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 20:44:42 +0100 (CET)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Companheiros/as,

O colectivo Luta Social, recentemente reactivado, realizou a 08/12/2007
uma Assembleia Geral.
Entre outros documentos, aprovámos a nova versão dos estatutos, que
encontrareis em:
http://groups.google.com/group/iniciativalutasocial/files

Temos em preparação os <<Cadernos Luta Social>>, tendo decidido que estes
serão em formato revista, abertos a colaborações externas e contendo
materiais de reflexão crítica, análises e materiais diversos, sobre a
realidade portuguesa e internacional. Esperamos publicar o primeiro número
em Janeiro.

O nosso blog foi transformado em site web e pode ser consultado, a partir
de agora, em: http://www.luta-social.org

Mudámos blog assim como o nome e aparência da lista pública, mas o
espírito mantém-se: Liberdade total para expressão de Companheiros/as,
Apoio e Respeito Mútuo, Solidariedade.

Boas leituras! Melhores combates!

Manuel Baptista
(do Colectivo Luta Social)

Translation:

The recently reactivated Luta Social collective held a general assembly on 08/12/2007. Among other documents we approved a new version of the statutes which you will find at: http://groups.google.com/group/iniciativalutasocial/files

We are in the process of preparing the “Cadernos Luta Social” and have decided that this will be in magazine format, open to external contributions and contain critical reflection, analysis and diverse material about the Portuguese and international reality. We hope to publish the first issue in January.

Our blog has now been transformed into a website and can be accessed at: http://www.luta-social.org

We have changed the blog and the name and appearance of the public list but the spirit remains the same: complete freedom of expression for comrades, mutual support and respect, solidarity.

Manuel Baptista

Bubbles's picture
Bubbles
Dec 11 2007 19:45
bmp wrote:
First of all, the FACP didn´t dissolved itself, it was a decision made by only 3 people of the about 20 people that were in the group. The rest of the people didn´t have a chance to discuss that and the public anouncement came with out the aprovement of the majority of us.

This group Luta Social is composed by the three people that decided the dissolution of the FACP. The rest of the the members of the FACP are yeat to discuss what we are going to do. But is almoust certain that we are going to assume the FACP manifesto and try to establish a nacional coordenation.

confused eek eek confused

potlatch
Dec 12 2007 02:39

About bmp post:

As all of you can see, this dissolution was a turbulent process. Besides that fact, the bmp post gives an even worse image of that process. But the situation is more complex than that and I think that bmp will agree with me. When we became conscious of the irreversible problems that emerged within FACP, some people or groups gradually "disconnected" themselves from the federation. So the decision to terminate FACP became unanimous at a certain point.
The next step was to realise a general assembly to officially dissolve FACP, in order to avoid that people with “bad intentions” would use its name in other future actions. The problem was that only three persons were present at the final assembly. Despite that fact, the assembly was held because some of the people that weren’t present expressed their opinions before, in order to be represented in that general assembly; it was my case and the case of other two members. The reasons for the absence of the others were diverse but all of them justified. So, the general assembly had the approval of everyone (no one contested it). But I think that this isn’t important and it's an internal question.

Otherwise, it’s a fact that Luta Social is composed by the three persons that were present at that dissolving assembly. It isn’t the former group, because it only has a few members from the former FACP group. Me, bmp and other guys, like it was said, are still reflecting in other ways to act together (since we are split by great distances) at a “national” level. And has I said before, the principal objective, at least for me and other people that work with me, is to boost, solidify and grow the local groups in the first place.
But something is a fact: like I told before, no one stopped and almost all of us are still in contact with each other.

Syndicalist:

From the 90’s forward didn’t happened nothing that really worth’s mention. It’s a shame but it’s real. There were some squats (one or two still exists), predominantly in the Lisbon area, but most of them with irregular activities or, those who appeared to be more active, saw their houses demolished by the authorities; the usual stuff.
Some years ago, in 2004, was held in Setúbal, a city 50 km away from Lisbon, the Conferência Libertária, which was a big demonstration of the fragmentation and practical/ ideological divergences that characterize anarchism in Portugal, so it was almost as turbulent as the short existence of FACP. Despite that situation, contacts were made between some groups.

The rest I already told you in a succinct way: the people that call themselves anarchists are usually individualists or life-style anarchists, not really interested in becoming organized or developing regular significant activities. There’s not even a great notion about what’s being an anarchist, with each person thinking in greatly different ways about what it means and, in most cases, even contaminated by the common preconceptions about it: anarchism is whatever we want it to be, anarchism can’t be an organized movement since it should be spontaneous, anarchism..., and I could continue enunciating a lot of stuff.
The people that recognize the need for organizing, usually have, or develop, some irreconcilable divergences, which is the cause of an even bigger fragmentation, origining more and more insignificant groups without connections between them. So we have a workers “union”, here in Portugal, which only has 1, sometimes 2, members! In fact, I think that this is the only Portuguese group with a real internal cohesion…
I should also mention that people talks mostly in the internet, in mailing lists, and stuff like that. There aren’t usual encounters because there is all this fragmentation (in the organizational level or in the individual and ideological level). This absent of discussion, or only “virtual” discussion, is not so good to the solidification of ideas.

There are some interesting groups, of course, but the majority of them I think you already know, since you could see information about them online. There are groups active in very specific areas and others acting in a bigger level but essentially related to ecological issues. In general, this is the Portuguese scenario in relation to anarchism. But, honestly, I think that in most recent times that situation is becoming really better and I hope to see things grow in a near future.

JH:

That past of Fado isn’t much known here in Portugal. Salazar’s dictatorship has erased, in a great way, that past from its history. So the origins and the general past of Fado is not so much consensual even among its historians. I only had contact with that proletarian past a few months ago and I became very very curious about it, so I made a little search and discovered some amazing things.
I think that the origin of Fado isn’t proletarian, as some historians say, by an obvious reason: as much as I know, Fado is older than the 18th century and the industrialisation at Portugal happened later than in the other occidental countries, so it doesn’t make much sense. But at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century Fado seemed to be essentially a music of the working classes. I know that there are some lyrics mentioning Kropotkin, Bakunin, Proudhon and Marx but I didn’t found anything already. As you know, Fado suffered a great “rehabilitation” by the dictatorship, because the regime was impotent to disconnect this classes from it. So it suffered that subversion, changing the lyrics to issues like themes like saudade, love, and stuff like that, and became associated to the middle classes, to bourgeoisie and was transformed into a symbol of the nation.
I only have these two excerpts of lyrics that I found in a magazine (curiously based in an English article):

“O mundo verá
os pobres libertos da opressão
esmagando os carniceiros
da burguesia regente”

“1º de Maio
Marchar! Marchar!
Oh soldados da liberdade!
Marchar e destruir
as fronteiras nacionais e a propriedade”

If you can’t understand the lyrics I could try to translate.

syndicalist
Dec 12 2007 02:53

Thanks comrade for the detailed message.

Yes, the situation seems a bit complex. I suspect the reality is somewhere in the middle of the two explanations.

Keep corresponding!

Mark.
Feb 2 2009 17:15
JH wrote:
On a historical note I watched a documentary about the history of fado a few weeks ago (part of the European Roots series on BBC4) where they played an anarchist fado song from before Salazar came to power. I thought fado lyrics had always been non-political but apparently this was only as a result of censorship. The words went, in part, something like this -
Quote:

A ciência humanidade
Símbolo do altruísmo
Tem por base condenar
Deus, pátria e militarismo...

A miséria o anarquismo tem por base condenar...

Do you know if there is any more information about these songs - or any recordings available?

potlatch wrote:
JH:

That past of Fado isn’t much known here in Portugal. Salazar’s dictatorship has erased, in a great way, that past from its history. So the origins and the general past of Fado is not so much consensual even among its historians. I only had contact with that proletarian past a few months ago and I became very very curious about it, so I made a little search and discovered some amazing things.
I think that the origin of Fado isn’t proletarian, as some historians say, by an obvious reason: as much as I know, Fado is older than the 18th century and the industrialisation at Portugal happened later than in the other occidental countries, so it doesn’t make much sense. But at the end of the 19th century and beginning of the 20th century Fado seemed to be essentially a music of the working classes. I know that there are some lyrics mentioning Kropotkin, Bakunin, Proudhon and Marx but I didn’t found anything already. As you know, Fado suffered a great “rehabilitation” by the dictatorship, because the regime was impotent to disconnect this classes from it. So it suffered that subversion, changing the lyrics to issues like themes like saudade, love, and stuff like that, and became associated to the middle classes, to bourgeoisie and was transformed into a symbol of the nation.
I only have these two excerpts of lyrics that I found in a magazine (curiously based in an English article):

“O mundo verá
os pobres libertos da opressão
esmagando os carniceiros
da burguesia regente”

“1º de Maio
Marchar! Marchar!
Oh soldados da liberdade!
Marchar e destruir
as fronteiras nacionais e a propriedade”

If you can’t understand the lyrics I could try to translate.

Here's the youtube clip with the anarchist fado song - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HW26VoEhF5k