How to write letters or e-mails to incarcerated comrades

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
yarir
Dec 18 2015 19:07
How to write letters or e-mails to incarcerated comrades

Hello fellow anarchists At first I'd like to say I'm new, so I sincerely don't know where to post this question.
An anarchist friend of mine told me that you help people here to find political prisoners to send some mails or e-mails to. Is it true? How can I find a list of people imprisoned because of political beliefs which I can read? And how may I write tehm?
If this isn't the right section feel free to delete this ot just move where you prefer grin
cheers from switzerland!

Noah Fence's picture
Noah Fence
Dec 18 2015 22:14

No idea how you would go about this.

In the eighties when I was in a band we did a few benefits for the 'Anarchist Release Fund'. The OP reminded me of it. I've tried searching for this with no luck - anyone know anything about this? It was definitely a thing so I'm surprised that Google turned up nothing.

Fleur
Dec 18 2015 23:20

Try contacting the Anarchist Black Cross. Do a google, see if there's one local to you.
Here's the NYC one for example -
https://nycabc.wordpress.com/write-a-letter/
You may have a local group. Alternatively, books to prisoners organizations sometimes have letter writing groups (not necessarily politicals though.)

There's also this site which is a project of the ABC, which has a list of prisoners and sometimes their wishlists.
http://prisonersolidarity.net/

fingers malone's picture
fingers malone
Dec 19 2015 00:49

Haven distribution do a books for prisoners scheme, they might be able to advise you

Havendistribution.org.uk

radicalgraffiti
Dec 19 2015 00:58

problem with ABC is some of the groups will recommend support for prisoners with nothing in common with our politics who've do really fuck up stuff

Fleur
Dec 19 2015 01:28

radicalgraffiti;

This is true, they support ALF, ELF blow shit up sort of people, as well as some national liberation type people but you can usually find out about the particular prisoner and be selective if you want.

Sleeper
Dec 19 2015 18:56

How would you suggest to write to or email incarcerated comrades?

radicalgraffiti wrote:
problem with ABC is some of the groups will recommend support for prisoners with nothing in common with our politics who've do really fuck up stuff

jef costello's picture
jef costello
Dec 19 2015 19:44
Fai1937 wrote:
How would you suggest to write to or email incarcerated comrades?

radicalgraffiti wrote:

If you don't know of anyone and don't know of any organisations supporting members then contact ABC, buit be picky about who you contact and remember that they are much more about supporting prisoners than class-struggle anarchism and it might be worth doing a little independent research on people.

Sleeper
Dec 20 2015 17:59

Ok thanks for the advice. There's also Haven who send books to (all) prisoners. Is there a committed resource that supports class struggle anarchists that are imprisoned?

Steven.'s picture
Steven.
Dec 20 2015 23:22
Fai1937 wrote:
Ok thanks for the advice. There's also Haven who send books to (all) prisoners. Is there a committed resource that supports class struggle anarchists that are imprisoned?

Not to my knowledge. There is ABC, but they support a wider range of people