'fatism' hahahaha

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
wojtek
May 3 2013 19:30
'fatism' hahahaha

Admin: binned

http://thisisthinprivilege.tumblr.com/post/48885126420/fatanarchy-kittyo...

Fucking activists. Yeah, lets champion health problems COS OPPRESSION!!111 Apparently it's comparable to homophobia, racism and being w/c lol.

commieprincess's picture
commieprincess
May 3 2013 19:46

I think that's kind of unfair, wojtek. I don't agree with everything on that webpage, but discrimination against fat people with the cloak of "health concerns" is very real. It doesn't mean it's the same as racism or sexism (though it's obviously tied up in both). People go through all kinds of horrific experiences because of being fat, it can have enormous impacts on people's lives. I hope that doesn't sound wanky.

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 3 2013 20:15

Although I'll agree that language they use to frame the discussion is pretty fucking abysmal.

wojtek
May 4 2013 00:12

I'm not dismissing the bullying aspect (the insult was directed specifically at the author), but everything else (the political correctness, the outright rejection of health as a concept, the pointless self-inflicted divide and rule based on 'privileges' and then the notion that the 'privileged' aren't allowed a say or are automatically wrong and vice versa) is nonsense.

jolasmo
May 4 2013 02:21

Fat isn't a health problem, and being fat is not necessarily unhealthy (not by this society's absurd standards). Even if excessive flab can cause health issues, we don't generally mock or deride people for being unhealthy. Or at least we shouldn't.

Then again, maybe I'm just a "fat enabler" or something.

~J.

PS: POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD

RedEd's picture
RedEd
May 4 2013 05:06

It's probably also worth thinking about from a workplace perspective too. In 'public facing' service jobs there is a lot of looks/body based discrimination that goes on, which is just one part of the rise in affective labour.

(the blog seems awful, but the question of body size in society is certainly worth thinking about)

Chilli Sauce's picture
Chilli Sauce
May 4 2013 19:02

affective labour?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
May 4 2013 19:09

affective labour

wojtek
May 9 2013 22:56

Apologies for the overreaction.