DONATE NOW TO HELP UPGRADE LIBCOM.ORG

EDL attack UAF meeting in Brighton.

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
gypsy
Apr 6 2011 10:11
EDL attack UAF meeting in Brighton.

Although I don't have much love for the UAF, I was surprised to hear about this especially as it was in Brighton of all places. Apparently around 20 EDL attacked it but the UAF barricaded themselves inside. Martin Smith was giving a talk. This is quite a worrying development as the EDL and the infidel offshoots may do this more and more and im guessing it won't just be restricted to UAF stuff.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 6 2011 10:21

Tbh I haven't heard this from non-UAF sources, and local UAF are lying scumbags who've previously smeared me and others as 'marching with fascists' for opposing Labour (when in gov't) and David Cameron (who this meeting was against). I suspect this 'attack' didn't actually involve any fighting, and numbers are getting revised down every time I hear it (from 30-40, to 30, to 20). It's worrying if there's any truth in it, but hard to believe a word they say unfortunately.

gypsy
Apr 6 2011 10:28

Yeah you have to take whatever the UAF say with a pinch of salt. I thought I would start a thread on this though because I thought Brighton was very much a lefty area?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 6 2011 10:32

There's lots of hippies, but there's always been a far-right presence. John Tindall lived locally. The local EDL have a grudge against students, lefties and 'Palestinian militants' (Smash EDO?), which I'd guess puts them on the anti-leadership side of the split.

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 6 2011 10:47

Ok I've rung around and apparently this is basically true: 25-30 EDL tried to rush the door, were forced back and doors were barricaded. Quite a ballsy move on their part.

gypsy
Apr 6 2011 10:55
Joseph Kay wrote:
Ok I've rung around and apparently this is basically true: 25-30 EDL tried to rush the door, were forced back and doors were barricaded. Quite a ballsy move on their part.

Yeah were there anarchists defending the doors?

Joseph Kay's picture
Joseph Kay
Apr 6 2011 10:59

I don't think it's appropriate to discuss logistics on an open forum tbh.

gypsy
Apr 6 2011 11:17
Joseph Kay wrote:
I don't think it's appropriate to discuss logistics on an open forum tbh.

Ok makes sense. *Removed a logistical comment/observation.

Django's picture
Django
Apr 7 2011 06:50

Apparently they were unable to get past security on the door and cause much disruption to the (tedious sounding) meeting.

Sidney Huffman
Apr 7 2011 12:34

already happened a few times in newcastle